BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Oh! A SunLion, jaleous!!! This is a really nice pedal, I bet you'll like it on the Crunch channel at mid gain.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    LordByron likes this.
  2. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I saved up, I wanted to go big or go home. I figured the crunch channel would be where it shines.

LordByron likes this.
  3. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

Boss GT-100 into effect return of my Kat 100 head and 1x12 open back cab with Delta Eminence 400 watt driver.Unbelievable! and I am a tube freak.I missed nothing.The power section is very very good!
    Going to roll through the winter with this rig.

4. MelodicMetal80

MelodicMetal80 Member

Great advice..I looked into one and yeah, totally do-able!! Tanks man!

LordByron likes this.
  5. MelodicMetal80

MelodicMetal80 Member

Trying what you said now!! After a sleep the fizz was back and not sure if the chain wasn't saved as it was outside of what TS can do [ i use fx floorbaord] or if my ears play tricks... I know we have bad audible memory but c'mon...:p
    Thanks for the advice, exactly what i needed/wanted!

LordByron likes this.
  6. J.W.C.

J.W.C. Member

I have the Katana 100/212.

The thing with germanium fuzzes is that they are *SO* sensitive to changes. Everything seems to make a difference: amp, guitar, pickups, volume control, cable, ambient temperature, et cetera. My advice to anyone getting a germanium fuzz is to spend some time playing around and experimenting. It can take some work to dial in your tone. That's a big part of the fun, though, in my opinion.

Congrats on the Sun Lion! The fuzzface + treble booster thing can be pretty awesome.

LordByron likes this.
  7. ssvr

ssvr Member

Sorry mate, sounds awful to me... nowhere near close. How much of it is the player and his recording skills, I don't know. Maybe one has to chalk it up to him placing his dynamic mic close to the cone, causing it to sound overly bright. It just sounds like a cardboard box to be honest, with a lack of that 3D type of sound, not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative. The truth hurts sometimes... And by the way, I'm NO tube purist...Never believed in tubes for the sake of tubes. Look at Shawn Lane, he got one of the best overdriven sounds of all time (Powers of Ten album) playing through a solid-state amp...

8. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

no problem. I only use Tone studio so not sure about anything else.

9. stratguitar577

stratguitar577 Supporting Member

First gig/use report:
    (Sorry for long post - see bottom for my live set)

I used my Katana 100 112 for the first time outside the house last night. Haven’t been in a band for 6 months since our singer moved away in June, but the bass player and drummer got back together with the singer/guitarist from their band before the last one, and they’ve been trying to recruit me to join the new band.

Their first gig was last night and they asked me to bring my equipment to join them for one of the songs we wrote in the last band, so I agreed and brought my Katana and trusty strat. Just guitar in a Mono gig bag on my back (holding GA-FC), and the light Katana in my hand. Best load in I’ve ever had.

Well when I get there, it turns out they want me to play the second half of the first set since I know most of the songs. Alright, no problem but I am a bit worried that I’ve never used the Katana above bedroom volumes and that my patches might be way off. Not to mention that I’ve never played these songs with these guys and have enough to think about. Whatever, I say, I will just wing it and adjust on the panel as need be.

So they call me on stage and I plug in...

——————————————————

Now full disclosure, I’ve used a Kemper with a Yamaha DXR10 FRFR speaker for the past 2 years at practice and live. That rig is no slouch, but has a more involved setup time and is overkill for a lot of places our band played over the past couple years. I mainly got the Katana for practice and smaller pub gigs like this one. I’ve had a bunch of tube amps and pedal boards over the years (DSL 50, Classic 30, PRRI, Suhr Corso, etc), but moved to the Kemper for a more consistent sound without having to keep track of every knob on every pedal, and to eliminate the tap dance to change sounds back and forth. The Katana was appealing to me because it also has built in effects and saved patches, just like the Kemper. I also found it used at a Guitar Center an hour away including the GA-FC for $250, and I had a $50 gift card so only paid $200 plus tax. Couldn’t pass it up.

I’ve really only played the Katana a handful of times before last night (still use the Kemper with headphones 90% of the time at home), and spent about 2 hours one time creating 8 patches in tone studio and configuring the effects that I can turn on with the GA-FC. I think I set the hi-pass filter in the global EQ around 8k and used the patch EQ a little bit to match each amp model with the others in other patches, but that was it. I use every amp model except the acoustic one, and decided not to go down the sneaky amps rabbit hole after trying them out a little bit. Just want to use the amp as designed and choose the preamps that were enhanced specifically for the Kat power amp. I also have the channel volume cranked (relative to each patch for volume consistency) and decided to use the master for, well a master volume. Sounds good enough for me that way and I think doing the inverse goes against functional use of the amp - I want to have each patch leveled with the others and use the master to control overall stage volume.

——————————————————

Now I’m on stage, I set the power control to 50w, set the master vol to 12 o’clock and immediately realize that it’s way too loud. I can’t believe it. So I set it to about 9:30 and we’re off into the first song.

All I can say is WOW. Everything worked flawlessly and I didn’t have to touch a single knob. Don’t know how I beat the Fletcher Munson curve going from bedroom to stage, but everything was perfect.

I ended up playing the rest of the first set, and the full second set (and I’m officially in the band now, so more rehearsals and gigs to come). I got to spend time with each patch I set up and they all were so good! The GA-FC is all I need and going into effects mode works very well. Not quite as nice as my Kemper setup where I have a second row of switches for effects, but it’s simple enough to work for me.

I usually use a medium gain 5150 for rhythm sounds and it was great, but I was most impressed with the dynamics of the clean and crunch amps. The input section feels just as good as any tube amp I’ve played, and the power amp really is awesome. My strat has EMG SAs with the SPC mid boost knob, so I can add either volume when clean, or more drive when the amp is slightly dirty, all on my guitar. That plus the tube screamer that I set up for the boost switch covered almost everything drive wise.

I need to spend more time dialing in the delay for a couple patches, as I couldn’t get a more syncopated rhythm with a shimmer on top like I could with my Kemper, but I think Ill be able to get very close.

I had a blast with a low octave effect ready to kick on in one crunch patch that is set to only work for a certain range (basically any note below the G string 12th fret).

——————————————————

I never thought I would believe the hype with these amps, but all I’m going to say is that my Kemper will now be safe in the confines of my home studio, probably for good. I did briefly try the Kemper going into the Katana effects return (my original plan to just use the Katana as a powered speaker) and while it sounded really good, I was able to get the Katana to sound almost as good, but good enough for me and everybody in the audience.

So is my new $200 rig just as good as my $2000 Kemper rig?

For live use, yes, definitely. It had everything I needed and let’s me focus on covering a few different sounds limited to 8 patches. It’s so easy to dial in great tones that don’t need much if any tweaking.

For studio use, the Katana is nowhere close. The line out even with the different cab options just sucks. They really need to have an OFF option so you can use impulse responses. That is really the only thing I think they need to do in a future firmware update.

Long story short, the Katana isn’t going anywhere and will be my new streamlined rig. I plan to add my Line 6 Relay G10 wireless going into a tuner pedal into the Katana, then I will be all set. I honestly could get by with the 50w version if it still had the 8 patches. Don’t think I will ever need the 100w mode or get the 50w mode much over 12 o’clock.

If you don’t have a Katana, go buy one now.

If you do have a Katana, here is my live set if you want to check it out. See notes about global EQ and bank setup. http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=katana&ID=10519

10. ssvr

ssvr Member

What kind of music do you play?

11. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

Thats what I am talking about!

12. stratguitar577

I personally play all kinds of stuff, classic rock & blues to metal. This band is hard rock, almost grunge at times originals & 90s covers. Confident the Katana can do anything you need it to.

LordByron likes this.
  13. ssvr

ssvr Member

I don't doubt it can do hard rock and grunge (lots of power chords and gnarly sounds), but getting a tone like the kind I posted earlier (#12933 on page 647), with the note separation, 3D thickness, lack of flubb on the bass notes, that I haven't seen any evidence for. Seen a lot of talk and claims though. By the way, in case someone thinks I have a bias against Boss, not at all, I also think Kemper, Axe-FX are way over-hyped. And yeah I know the refrain about "all the pros" using Kemper etc. Please... Can someone show me an artist of the caliber of a Joe Satriani or a Robben Ford using a Kemper. That's right, I didn't think so.

14. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

Steve Howe uses Line 6 Helix. Loves it. He's no product shill.

15. stratguitar577

If you don't like the idea of digital gear, stick with tubes, no harm done. Many top artists use Kemper, AxeFX, Helix, etc. The video you shared is probably hard to match because it has so much room tone the way it was miced up. I think the Katana can easily get you close to the core tone though. You know the thing about gear though is no matter what you buy or how much you spend, you will still sound like yourself.

Theorist and idgolfguy like this.
  16. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Gear changes tone, but not your style or ability... I have great tone with the Katana... But I still suck :(

Theorist, gumtown and LordByron like this.
  17. ssvr

ssvr Member

He's probably the exception that confirms the rule.

Satriani, Vai, Johnson, Govan, Petrucci, Benson, Ford, Bonamassa, Chris Cain, Josh Smith, Kirk Fletcher, JD Simo, Guthrie Trapp etc

None of these guys use that stuff, and it's been out for many years now

18. ssvr

ssvr Member

Listen to that clip again, the instructor sounds exactly like Gary Moore. A big part of the reason for that, besides his chops, is that he's using a quality amp (Renegade Egnater) and quality effects. I wish someone would just take up the challenge, but all I'm seeing is talk, talk and more talk. Feel free to ignore it though, of course everybody's free to do whatever they want.

It's great that people have found an amp they bond with. Fantastic. But let's not make claims that cannot be supported by the evidence. I would say the Katana is probably great for a lot of styles, but there's a subset of tones I think the modeling world has not and will probably never get close to.

19. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

Along with "Forest for the trees" I don't get that "rule". I think it's something people say when they don't know how to deal with the "exception".

You asked for one example. I gave you one. There are lots more.

Sounds like modeling isn't for you. Just go try one. You will be pleasantly surprised or vindicated. You win either way.

stratguitar577 likes this.
  20. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

What clip are you referring to?