BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. wamba

wamba Member

Is there a Boss email update announcing software updates for the Katana? As much as I love all you guys, I'm really only following the thread to get the update notices.

Bob_E likes this.
  2. Michel347

Michel347 Member

This is because in the reverb slot you can have just reverb, reverb + delay or just delay, you need to use BTS to set this the way you want.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Do I think this amp is better than a tube amp? No.... but at the same time it allows more options than a tube amp. Now with that said, it does sound pretty good and surprisingly feels pretty good. Honestly I can't stand the stock sounds, but that's usually me with anything.

I personally don't have a modern Hum-bucker style guitar that can do heavy music of any kind. The clip you mentioned doesn't seem that special to me at all, but we all hear things differently. Now the concept that someone needs to accept a challenge to prove something to you is ridicules. On the other hand I would be amazed if you had one and played around with the software that you couldn't get 95% there. I think the amp struggles more with clean sounds than heavy rock tones.

4. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

Why? Let’s just see how long it gets, and there is no reason to move the new Katana Artist series discussion away from this thread either.

5. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Approaching 13,000 posts.

6. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Why?
    Because not everyone can page through 600 plus pages to get the info they may be seeking.

It' not a "diss" to the thread or anything!

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Earlier in the thread I promised to post some live clips, and I finally got around to getting the audio from my first show with the Katana. I recorded the show with 2 mics in the back of the room in an X-Y pattern. No access to the board, so I couldn't get a direct feed. So this is pretty close to what the audience heard. On stage it sounded and felt great, and the audio to me confirms that.

I have no idea if this is close to the "Gary Moore" clip that you keep going on about. I only post this as an attempt to backup my statement that great live tones can come out of the Katana. I don't hear any harshness or fizz.....really smooth. I don't know if I sound as good as anyone else, but if I heard another player with this sound I wouldn't think his/her gear was deficient in any way. It's just edited down to show a few leads/fiddly bits where the lead guitar really jumps out of the mix. I posted the little clip in the beginning for a reference. The first guitar you hear is the other guy, with an all tube marshall and a PRS. The 2nd guitar that comes in is me with my Katana. I know which one sounds better to me, but you can decide on your own.

OHHHH and the occasional squeeling is because the venue is directly over a U-bahn train stop.....so there is INSANE EMF from the incredible amount of current and voltage running just beneath our feet. All the amps were doing it, unfortunately. Another reason I am glad to gig with a cheap amp. SO, enjoy. Here is the dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e21rxqmpzhfhju/Katana_Live_12_2017.mp3?dl=0

donnyrocker, BenoA and Michel347 like this.
  8. BenoA

BenoA Member

@MrTAteMyBalls Thanks for sharing sounded fine! I don't gig anymore and when I play live it's just for fun. Here is a something we have done for the Office Xmas party.

Nothing professional and recorded with the mic from my Samsung phone but it gives an idea. That evening, the amp performed as any of my other amps in my gear collection.

MrTAteMyBalls likes this.
  9. ssvr

ssvr Member

Did you read my post that you quoted?

" I wish someone would just take up the challenge, but all I'm seeing is talk, talk and more talk. Feel free to ignore it though, of course everybody's free to do whatever they want."

MrTatemyballs is not offended at all by the above, for example, to his credit. He posted what he's got. So why are you?

10. ssvr

ssvr Member

It's hard to make out things from your clip, although for now what I know is that when I heard the first guitar in the beginning, I was like, "Now that's tone!" That was before I read your post. Then I saw your comment about your bandmate with the PRS and Marshall, lol.

Can you let me know where you are playing in the clip, like 2:00 to 3:00 style markers? I'll give it a hard listen

11. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I am playing all the lead stuff.

12. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Also I don't want to blow your mind, but I actually just remembered that the other guys JCM900 was in the shop so he played this show on a solid state Marshall MG30 practice amp. So if that's the tone you prefer, you can save some serious coin in the future. I am not trolling here. 100 percent serious. I can provide photos if you don't believe.

Scatabrain likes this.
  13. ssvr

ssvr Member

"
    I believe you brah. You might not have caught one of my earlier posts in which I mentioned that I am NOT a tube or "expensive tube amp" purist. Also, I have never believed that tubes necessarily = better. No way, heard too many crap tube tones to know better. All you have to do is listen to Shawn Lane early stuff to know that some solid state amps are incredible, he played through solid-state Holmes heads.

And yes, I will look into that MG30! I believe in "giant" killers!

I applaud you for posting something. That said, the room mic makes it hard to get a grip on the tone, wish the amps were closer miked instead of in the back of the room. That's why I like the simplicity of that Gary Moore lick clip, it's just a reference point and not that particularly important to me.

Now I know why Eric Johnson once said that modeling amps remind him of a 2D picture of Mount Everest vs a 3D, live experience. There's a dimension of sound that the modelers have not yet figured out. As I said before there's a reason why the top 15-20 living players of all time (rock, blues, country) don't use modeling amps.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I wish it turned out better but that room is big and the mics are at the back so it is pretty verby. I don't have any recording gear any more so that's the best I can do. Maybe someone else can post up more, but I am really happy with this amp. most of the clips online with the Katana are with just the stock sounds. the magic is in the parametric EQ on each patch in Tone studio. I don't think the tone you referenced would be hard to dial in if you had an LP with HB, which I also dont have....lol. so in other words, I can't help you at all.

15. ssvr

ssvr Member

Appreciate your post, thanks for taking the time and glad you found an amp you like!

16. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

no worries man. glad to post something.

17. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

My post was not meant to be disrespectful. I took your comment as "prove it to me", which in return I felt wasn't anyone's responsibility. So maybe I read your post wrong. If so, my bad.

Lution likes this.
  18. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

I went into GC yesterday to get Tumnus or Ts type boost and the guy set me up through a katana 1/12 , about $275. I have seen a ton of posts about this amp and I guess people like it and I’ve resisted looking into one because I like my tubes. First off I was impressed with clean setting, I thought the tone was one I’d use. But the dirtied tones lacked something for me, but they were ok. I then set amp to edge of breakup and by dialing back gain, then I kicked in the tube screamer, only the tone didn’t change much and no tubes screamed b/ c there aren’t any. I tried the Tumnus as well and this didn’t ignite the fire either. After thinking about I said, “ duh, no tubes to drive”. That would never work for me, because I need that tube boosting pedal to launch me into soaring compression or OD. BUT, I do see what people like about them, they sound greT and have lots of features and fix. Preactice amp any day.

19. cyrushreds

cyrushreds Member

band rehearsal with the katana 100 head into a cheap blackstar 4x8, no pedals, the soloing is on the brown channel, 50W setting 12oclock master volume. Not the best quality but decent for a camera sitting on top of a bass amp. Gives an idea just how loud this thing can go. I like the lead tones straight out of the box just with a high cut and some delay

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. BenoA

BenoA Member

Sounded pretty good to me! Good job @cyrushreds !!! Nice playing, you sure can shred!
    ----------------------------
    Here is my son's band rehearsing, if it can help. Clean funk jam. Boss Katana+Boss 2x12 cab

And also a bunch of "mic" recordings of my Katana head. Humble average Joe recordings. No EQ or special mastering wizardry. What you hear is what you will get.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8iBNpTkyn2GeHuq8NP9GEkYzF8u1AiR7

jens5, cyrushreds and Scatabrain like this.