BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

guitarman3001

I imagine Boss will be planning on redoing the Blues Cube line and possibly Katana Mk II soon enough.

GT-1000 DSP, better power section, poplar cabs and Wazacraft speakers will all help cement them as a potential market leader in affordable, SS amps. They need to have a loadable IR for the DI/headphone AND need to actually be editable via Bluetooth and have a decent PB (not the GA-FC) option. Not being able to edit on the amp is a huge PITA.

I do though feel that Line 6 has been paying attention and believe that they will soon (now the HX Stomp is a reality) release a SS amp based on their experience with the Powercab+ and HXS. So Helix level DSP and amp sims inside a Powercab+. Sort of their version of the Kat Artist. I think they have learnt from the disaster that was the Spider V and can make a killer digital/SS amp.

It will be a good time for SS amp lovers.
Line 6 hasn't learned from any of the spiders... 1 through 5. Not sure why they would suddenly learn something from V to VI.

They could both learn something from the Orange CR line.

Axe-Man

I like Orange amps but I liked my KA much better than the CR120 I demo'd. A kind of fuzzy higher gain amp with a very nice, warm mid gain sound but limited flexibility vs a tighter, IMPO better sounding (KA) more flexible amp (for less money). I've owned a lot of Orange gear so I'm far from a hater.

L6 have all the tech just sitting there and know from experience how they turned around their company with the Helix. Get rid of the unreliable, recycled crap, spend money on RnD and produce products people want.

That Boss basically destroyed their Spider line makes it easy to see what they likely have planned.

I'm not saying the Spider 30 Mk VI will be the amp. I'm saying they'll come out with a competitor for the higher end Katana and Blues Cube amps.

I hope they do anyway as this will push Boss to produce better new versions of Katana and Blues Cube.

Line 6 hasn't learned from any of the spiders... 1 through 5. Not sure why they would suddenly learn something from V to VI.

They could both learn something from the Orange CR line.

guitarman3001

I like Orange amps but I liked my KA much better than the CR120 I demo'd. A kind of fuzzy higher gain amp with a very nice, warm mid gain sound but limited flexibility vs a tighter, IMPO better sounding (KA) more flexible amp (for less money). I've owned a lot of Orange gear so I'm far from a hater.

L6 have all the tech just sitting there and know from experience how they turned around their company with the Helix. Get rid of the unreliable, recycled crap, spend money on RnD and produce products people want.

That Boss basically destroyed their Spider line makes it easy to see what they likely have planned.

I'm not saying the Spider 30 Mk VI will be the amp. I'm saying they'll come out with a competitor for the higher end Katana and Blues Cube amps.

I hope they do anyway as this will push Boss to produce better new versions of Katana and Blues Cube.
The Katana is on my short list for a small light cheap practice amp. So is the cr35rt.

Maybe I should wait to see what Boss comes out with to replace the Katana....

Redrum

The Katana is on my short list for a small light cheap practice amp. So is the cr35rt.

"Small, light, cheap practice amp." Well.... while you are waiting for the latest and greatest I'd just get one of the Katana's. Even consider a used one. You can always do a factory reset if needed and you would would hardly be out much money at all.

VaughnC

Supporting Member

I've been looking for a satisfactory non-tube gigging amp for many years and the Katana is the first one I tried to cross my threshold of acceptance. So, I don't view it as a "small light cheap practice amp"...and the Katana Artist version moved out most of my tube amps. Perfect?...no, but all things considered, I wish I had the Katana a few years ago when I was gigging regularly for its tubeless reliability. So, it's more than a practice amp for me ;).

Agent76

When I saw the Artist I assumed they would be on the way to discontinuing the standard Katana and move toward making those amps more and more expensive.

Erjimipey

I spent this morning about an hour watching Helix Stomp demos on my phone with headphones because I would love to know if I could use it with my Katana to run it in dual amp mode. I like the sounds in the demos,to be honest.

Then I go play the guitar, plug my Epi 339 into the kat and the same Sennheiser headphones I was using before. I go straight to a Mesa patch and the sound is amazing, I love the vibe for Megadeth's Symphony of destruction. I move on to brown channel and I'm in the Soundgarden ballpark with the mids a bit rolled back. I go to the lead channel, crank the gain and go for some Black Sabbath. I'm amazed, all the sounds I am getting are equally great or better than some in the demos of the Helix Stomp.
No doubt Helix will have superior sound and tweakability, but the core sounds of the Kat with just a tad of delay and reverb just match my Epi to make me feel that long pursued tonal bliss...

Last edited:

pbognar

Sorry for the off topic post, but I played a used Blackstar ID 260 yesterday, and I really dug the bright clean channel compared to what I remember with the Katana Artist.

The thing is, I never thought to try the acoustic channel of the Artist to try to get a better Fender chime.

Anyone have an opinion comparing these two amps, overall?

Has anyone tried using the K Artist acoustic channel to get better cleans?

Thanks

P8t8r

Sorry for the off topic post, but I played a used Blackstar ID 260 yesterday, and I really dug the bright clean channel compared to what I remember with the Katana Artist.

The thing is, I never thought to try the acoustic channel of the Artist to try to get a better Fender chime.

Anyone have an opinion comparing these two amps, overall?

Has anyone tried using the K Artist acoustic channel to get better cleans?

Thanks
Have you played the Sneaky Amps with Katana?

pbognar

Have you played the Sneaky Amps with Katana?
I don't own either amp, I just demoed them.

I know there is a Clean Twin sneaky amp but, I have not been able to compare to the default clean.

I actually really enjoy a squeaky clean amp sound, so that's the reason for my curiosity regarding the acoustic channel. I've read some guys say it's another source for getting a built in clean sound.

dazco

I don't own either amp, I just demoed them.

I know there is a Clean Twin sneaky amp but, I have not been able to compare to the default clean.

I actually really enjoy a squeaky clean amp sound, so that's the reason for my curiosity regarding the acoustic channel. I've read some guys say it's another source for getting a built in clean sound.
IMO the acoustic ch is not as good as the regular clean channel or the sneaky twin for getting a fender clean amp tone. The sneaky amps twin will do that and if you use the "custom" amp model, theres a sub menu in that where u can choose the twin and it adds 5 more tone controls including PRE distortion highs and lows and a character knob that goes from totally scooped to full on mids. To me at least, if you have a katana and want clean electric tones thats where ya go, period. It not only sounds better IMO, but i think the feel is more real, and to me it's the feel where most modelers fail at recreating fender cleans. I didn't feel even the old and new mustang amps (had both) had true tube amp feel at all, not even close. The sneaky twin gets closer then any of those or it's own front panel clean IMO. As with anything YMMV, but like i said, "to me".

pbognar

IMO the acoustic ch is not as good as the regular clean channel or the sneaky twin for getting a fender clean amp tone. The sneaky amps twin will do that and if you use the "custom" amp model, theres a sub menu in that where u can choose the twin and it adds 5 more tone controls including PRE distortion highs and lows and a character knob that goes from totally scooped to full on mids. To me at least, if you have a katana and want clean electric tones thats where ya go, period. It not only sounds better IMO, but i think the feel is more real, and to me it's the feel where most modelers fail at recreating fender cleans. I didn't feel even the old and new mustang amps (had both) had true tube amp feel at all, not even close. The sneaky twin gets closer then any of those or it's own front panel clean IMO. As with anything YMMV, but like i said, "to me".
Thanks

KimmoR

Just got my Katana-50 combo... sounds awesome :) One question though; is there any way to get Compressor and Chorus to function at the same time, maybe also with Delay&Reverb?

Trending Topics