BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. beagle

beagle Member

That's really not where the Katana is aimed at, hence the sneaky amps/ FxFloorboard.

2. dazco

dazco Member

It's gotta be that boss doesn't want too much overlap in thier products. The sneaky amps are from what i hear what are in thier GT1000 or some such higher $ boss product. So if they implemented those into the kat line it might hurt sales of higher $ products. Because like october3 said, they could do it with nearly zero budget commitment. But if u look at the katana overall there are a ton of things that need improvement and with sales of the line being so good as is and the probability it might cut into sales of thier higher prices lines, what incentive do they have ? You have the GT1000 for example, tho not a combo amp, but still unlike the kat line they have effects that can be edited W/O a PC and sneaky amps already there and supported. Everything we want the kat to be, but i imagine that would have a lot of perspective GT1000 buyers considering a lower $ kat instead with the advantage of having a combo so no need to find a power solution. It's all marketing obviously. So unfortunate, because a Kat with onboard effects editing and sneaky amps built in would be awesome and would make it leagues above any other modeling combo, or at least certainly the other kat models. And that is what the artist should have been in the first place IMO.

3. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Smart money says that Boss is done with Katana development and already on to the next, spelled GT1000. We'll see if they get away with letting a $1k modeler languish after the obligatory handful of early bug-fixes.

Elantric likes this.
  4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I imagine Boss will be planning on redoing the Blues Cube line and possibly Katana Mk II soon enough.

GT-1000 DSP, better power section, poplar cabs and Wazacraft speakers will all help cement them as a potential market leader in affordable, SS amps. They need to have a loadable IR for the DI/headphone AND need to actually be editable via Bluetooth and have a decent PB (not the GA-FC) option. Not being able to edit on the amp is a huge PITA.

I do though feel that Line 6 has been paying attention and believe that they will soon (now the HX Stomp is a reality) release a SS amp based on their experience with the Powercab+ and HXS. So Helix level DSP and amp sims inside a Powercab+. Sort of their version of the Kat Artist. I think they have learnt from the disaster that was the Spider V and can make a killer digital/SS amp.

It will be a good time for SS amp lovers.

BenB123 likes this.
  5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Line 6 hasn't learned from any of the spiders... 1 through 5. Not sure why they would suddenly learn something from V to VI.

They could both learn something from the Orange CR line.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I like Orange amps but I liked my KA much better than the CR120 I demo'd. A kind of fuzzy higher gain amp with a very nice, warm mid gain sound but limited flexibility vs a tighter, IMPO better sounding (KA) more flexible amp (for less money). I've owned a lot of Orange gear so I'm far from a hater.

L6 have all the tech just sitting there and know from experience how they turned around their company with the Helix. Get rid of the unreliable, recycled crap, spend money on RnD and produce products people want.

That Boss basically destroyed their Spider line makes it easy to see what they likely have planned.

I'm not saying the Spider 30 Mk VI will be the amp. I'm saying they'll come out with a competitor for the higher end Katana and Blues Cube amps.

I hope they do anyway as this will push Boss to produce better new versions of Katana and Blues Cube.

7. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The Katana is on my short list for a small light cheap practice amp. So is the cr35rt.

Maybe I should wait to see what Boss comes out with to replace the Katana....

BenB123 likes this.
  8. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I predict that will not occur until after 2020

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Jim234, jlagrassa and BenoA like this.
  9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

We're 8 years past that so basically........any day now?

10. Redrum

Redrum Member

"Small, light, cheap practice amp." Well.... while you are waiting for the latest and greatest I'd just get one of the Katana's. Even consider a used one. You can always do a factory reset if needed and you would would hardly be out much money at all.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been looking for a satisfactory non-tube gigging amp for many years and the Katana is the first one I tried to cross my threshold of acceptance. So, I don't view it as a "small light cheap practice amp"...and the Katana Artist version moved out most of my tube amps. Perfect?...no, but all things considered, I wish I had the Katana a few years ago when I was gigging regularly for its tubeless reliability. So, it's more than a practice amp for me ;).

frankencat, rongtr1 and Erjimipey like this.
  12. Agent76

Agent76 Member

When I saw the Artist I assumed they would be on the way to discontinuing the standard Katana and move toward making those amps more and more expensive.

13. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Weird assumption.

Res Ipsa and Elantric like this.
  14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Helpless response.

15. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Not so weird. They come out with a $2000 solid state head, a $250 or $320 combo, and now an Artist series. So Im starting at Waza, going down to Katana, and then moving upward. Its not really all that unusual.

16. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Right back at ya.

17. Erjimipey

Erjimipey Member

I spent this morning about an hour watching Helix Stomp demos on my phone with headphones because I would love to know if I could use it with my Katana to run it in dual amp mode. I like the sounds in the demos,to be honest.

Then I go play the guitar, plug my Epi 339 into the kat and the same Sennheiser headphones I was using before. I go straight to a Mesa patch and the sound is amazing, I love the vibe for Megadeth's Symphony of destruction. I move on to brown channel and I'm in the Soundgarden ballpark with the mids a bit rolled back. I go to the lead channel, crank the gain and go for some Black Sabbath. I'm amazed, all the sounds I am getting are equally great or better than some in the demos of the Helix Stomp.
    No doubt Helix will have superior sound and tweakability, but the core sounds of the Kat with just a tad of delay and reverb just match my Epi to make me feel that long pursued tonal bliss...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    gazzy_burns and Lution like this.
  18. pbognar

pbognar Member

Sorry for the off topic post, but I played a used Blackstar ID 260 yesterday, and I really dug the bright clean channel compared to what I remember with the Katana Artist.

The thing is, I never thought to try the acoustic channel of the Artist to try to get a better Fender chime.

Anyone have an opinion comparing these two amps, overall?

Has anyone tried using the K Artist acoustic channel to get better cleans?

Thanks

19. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

Have you played the Sneaky Amps with Katana?

20. pbognar

pbognar Member

I don't own either amp, I just demoed them.

I know there is a Clean Twin sneaky amp but, I have not been able to compare to the default clean.

I actually really enjoy a squeaky clean amp sound, so that's the reason for my curiosity regarding the acoustic channel. I've read some guys say it's another source for getting a built in clean sound.