BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. dazco

dazco Member

IMO the acoustic ch is not as good as the regular clean channel or the sneaky twin for getting a fender clean amp tone. The sneaky amps twin will do that and if you use the "custom" amp model, theres a sub menu in that where u can choose the twin and it adds 5 more tone controls including PRE distortion highs and lows and a character knob that goes from totally scooped to full on mids. To me at least, if you have a katana and want clean electric tones thats where ya go, period. It not only sounds better IMO, but i think the feel is more real, and to me it's the feel where most modelers fail at recreating fender cleans. I didn't feel even the old and new mustang amps (had both) had true tube amp feel at all, not even close. The sneaky twin gets closer then any of those or it's own front panel clean IMO. As with anything YMMV, but like i said, "to me".

October3, pbognar and Erjimipey like this.
  2. pbognar

pbognar Member

Thanks

3. dazco

dazco Member

:aok

4. KimmoR

KimmoR Member

Just got my Katana-50 combo... sounds awesome :) One question though; is there any way to get Compressor and Chorus to function at the same time, maybe also with Delay&Reverb?

5. dazco

dazco Member

There is but there are compromises. Not with delay and reverb tho, those you can use together no problem because they are not combined on the same knob/effects block. But the compressor and chorus u can if you use the booster/mod block for chorus and the delay/FX block for chorus. The problem is you can't use delay at the same time as the chorus, but there IS a way. So use the booster/mod block and set up you compressor. Make sure to go to the "chain" tab and set chain 2 so the booster/mod block is PRE amp. The on the delay/FX block set the chorus and that will be POST amp according to the chain 2 you already set. Of course i am assuming like 99% of players u want comp pre and chorus post amp.

So now lets say u want delay along with all this. Being the delay/FX block is being used for chorus you can't use the delay normally, but there are 2 possile ways to do it. You can try using delay 2 but it doesn't work on some models. You can set it and turn it on but it won't make any delay sound in some cases. So if that doesn't work the other way is to use FXfloorboard instead of boss tone studio. It is a 3rd party app that is a alternative to tone studio and it allows you to use both effects in a block simultaneously. So you can use both the delay and FX in that block at the same time. The compromise is if you so much as touch that block's knob on the amp it instantly reverts back to only one effect. So you will lose the delay or chorus whichever side the know is pointing to will remain. So you cannot adjust anything on the amp if one of them needs to be adjusted. Of course if you do touch the knob u can go back to both on at the same time by switching to another patch then back again as you no doubt know.

By the way. i think delay 2 works on any of the frnt panel sound but not with sneaky amps, but thats from memory and i could be off since its been a while since i tried delay2. Oh, and another option is to use the delay /FX block for chorus and not use the delay, then go to the effects tab and you will see that under reverb there is a MODE setting where you can pick reverb/delay combined. I can't recall how that works tho so it may not work or it may not give you as much parameter adjustments as you would have using seperate delay and reverbs. But check that out too, it may be better then that, i just don't recall if i tried using it or not and if not why i passed on it.

6. gumtown

gumtown Member

You will have to use editor software to enable this, but you can by setting 'compressor' with MOD effects, and 'chorus' with FX effects.
    If you use FxFloorBoard editor, you can set all the effects independently and save them like that for each channel.
    But the only down side, is when you tweak the related effect knob on the Katana, it reverts back to the single effect only until next time you change channel.
    get it here https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/

7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I played a friend's 2x12 Katana combo today and honestly, it sounded awesome. I had just gone from playing a Carr Sportsman and AC15C1 during the jam session to using the Katana and I was inspired by all three. I feel like having the Katana around, especially for what these go for used, is a no brainer.

stratohiker likes this.
  8. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I have had my Katana 50 on Craigslist for over 5 weeks now and not 1 enquiry. What's up with that? The ****er is mint too. Can i get a participation award, at least? Or a cookie?

9. petty1818

petty1818 Member

You are probably being punished for trying to sell such a great amp! I kid of course. I think they are just so readily available that a lot of people don’t mind buying new.

10. gregrjones

gregrjones Member

I just got my KTN100 a few days ago and I have a few questions. Perhaps they've been addressed in this thread already but who has time to read it at this size!

1. I understand that the master volume acts like a tube amp's master volume where the power tubes are pushed more as the master is increased. I assume the volume knob labeled master volume IS that master volume knob but I got to thinking that on this amp, it could be the other way around where the amp volume is the amp model's master and the knob labeled master volume acts simply controls the Katana's volume levels without affecting the patch's tone. Which is it?

2. I loaded sneaky amps. I really like them but IF I want to hear some of the default/stock amps, how do I return to them? What amps were they based off of?

3. The cabinet resonance option (non-artist): I changed it from default of modern to vintage. Is that just affecting the amp's line out cabinet emulation?

11. dazco

dazco Member

1-no one can tell you because it;s subjective. But i don't feel it matters as long as the overall volume gets past a certain point where the signal to the power amp is hot enough to get the speaker moving. Like any amp really. I also don't feel the wattage switch does anything but make the master less sensitive when you lower it.

2-loaded? You mean you saved them to the amp? Because if u r just talking about loading them into the PC app, that doesn't put them on your amp till you do a save. And even then all you have to do is leave some slots on the amp for stock sounds.You can have and of the 8 patches saved with a snakey amp or for the front panel amps. Plus, if you have a sneaky amp saved lets say to slot 1 band A, you can turn the knobs on the amp and change it to the stock sound. As soon as you rotate the amp switch on the front panel that chooses the stock amp type. the sneaky amp is gone. If you ten do a save it will be gone and replaces with the stock amp sound you selected. If you do this but DON'T save, then you can play the stock amp sound u selected but soon as you switch to another slot then back again, the sneaky amp will be back. You can also hit the "panel" button to use a stock amp. Just hit "panel" and it will be set to whatever all the front panel knobs are set to. But u can't save that. So itls the same as using a sneaky slot and just changing the amp to remove the sneaky model, but that u CAN save if you want.

3-no, it affects the amps sound as you play it. If u r asking about this can i assume you don't hear a difference? Because i find that a bit shocking since the difference should be quite obvious. I like the vintage setting in general, but the modern setting is a giid bi brighter and i use it to get a overal brighter sound if i happen to be in a dar sounding room or for whatever reason my sound just seems like i need more cut.

Sencha likes this.
  12. dazco

dazco Member

Depends 100% on your price. Understand that today used gear doesn't sell easily till you lower the $ more than people sell for typically on CL. I'm not saying u r asking too much because i don't know what your price is. But what i DO know is here in L.A. at least the vast majority of people are asking way too much and i see most things on CL being listed and repeated constantly for months, even years. As as example, i had a tele i sold and i had it listed for LESS than i have ever seen one like it listed for except for once where i saw one for the same but with a it of cosmetic damage. Mine was mint. So i put it in for the lowest price i;d ever seen one in CL at and nothing. Months without a call. And this was a fender model that is plenty popular and fenders generally sell much easier then lesser names. yest still, at the lowest price i ever saw one for it sat for months. Then i lowered it $50 less than the cheapest one i ever saw and finally it sold. One thing i noticed is some people are pricing things using online prices as a guide but what they are missing is those are inflated due to shipping and seller fees, and even then many of those at the low end of the price spectrum don;'t sell for a long time.

Having been a gear hound for near 50 years and having bought and sold a unthinkable amount of gear (in the recycler classifieds b 4 the internet) i have noticed this change just in the last few years. People are asking way too much and their items sit for months and literally years, and i have seen many things in CL that are still there and have been for years ! I'm not saying u r one of them because like i said i have no idea what u r asking. But I'll just leave u with this....it will likely sell eventually if your price isn't so close to new no one will ever buy it. But if it's not pretty cheap you will have to wait and possibly for many months or a year or more. If you want to sell it quick you are going to have to sell it probably for less than the cheapest one you have ever seen. I sold that fender i mentioned for $350 after many months at $400, and you won't see one on ebay for less than about $600 shipped. Usually the are asking more like $700-750. I know because since i sold mine about 5 years ago i realized i made a mistake and have been keeping an eye out for 3 years not and have not seen one remotely close to the price i had to sell mine for.

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Anyone else find the included tilt back stand in the 50 pretty much useless? I am not even sure why they bothered to include it.

14. Res Ipsa

Res Ipsa Member

I’ve had very good luck selling used gear on Reverb. Their audience is musician-targeted, unlike CL’s. Typically my listings sell in under a week, especially with a fair price and clear photos. Good luck. Oh ... and here’s a cookie.

15. babbyb

babbyb Member

I normally see used ones listed for $150 (which is a fine price IMO). They're $187 new with a GC coupon. Could just be the people interested would rather have a return policy and avoid the hassle of a meet up.

Mike Alan likes this.
  16. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

The sneaky twin is so much better than the stock clean. I actually went back to all the stock sounds except the clean. It's just lifeless, but the sneaky twin is great.

stratohiker and driver8g like this.
  17. pbognar

pbognar Member

Sorry if this has already been answered. I may have even seen the answer, but have forgotten.

The issue is described here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25176253/

If I want to use my Boss GT-100 with the Katana head or Artist, connected via MIDI to control volume, can the placement of the volume effect be placed after the amp type and crunch effects, but before the delay and reverb?

Actually, it would also be cool to know if the limitation regarding plugging a controller into the GA-FC has been resolved as well.

Thanks

18. ledvedder

ledvedder Supporting Member

I just got the Katana head. Wow, this thread is intimidating. I'm wondering how many users enable the global eq settings? And if so, what settings do you find useful?

I found these settings in another thread, so I'm going to give them a shot -
    Low gain: -1
    Low-mid gain: 4
    High-mid gain: -2
    High gain: 1
    Level: 0
    Low-mid freq: 500 Hz
    Low-mid Q: 1
    High-mid freq: 6.30 kHz
    High-mid Q: 1

19. Actoroutonloan

Actoroutonloan Member

You might find this useful. I tried this guy's global EQ settings for playing live and for me it made things easier to control from the guitar (I constantly vary tone / vol and pup selections). Most useful advice is high cut.

I'm using crunch with gain and B/M/T all at 50 and presence zero as default, so I can modify those on the fly according to room sound. I add boost as required - typically blues driver with a Les Paul and overdrive with a Tele.

20. BenoA

BenoA Member

Just for fun. A quick clip with my new Les Paul Tribute