BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

rcl

I didnt spend enough time to love or hate. It wasn't worth having to mess with the second tool to manipulate things. More and more I just use the amp as a 4 channel head with the loop as a boost.

cyrusj

Am I the only person who doesn't care for the sneaky amps? Any of what the sneaky amps can do, can be EQ'ed off of the models that come stock with the Katana. Sure, you gotta spend more time fine tuning, but the Fender Clean, 1959, etc, are all the exact same thing as what's already on the amp, just tweaked differently.
You echo my thoughts completely. I messed around with the sneaky amps when I first got the head but they just didn't sound anything special. That and I got the feeling that these aren't really "models" in the true sense but just the same channels with a bit of a faffery in the EQ. The channels don't really have distinctive characters like on a modeller, just different levels of gain and EQ on each. I found that I could get any of the tones I wanted from the stock amps and good usage of the boost effects and EQ. I don't really understand how some people think you need sneaky amps to get a thick metal distortion or a bluesy drive tone. It's all in the amp straight from the panel controls.

Yes. Also, I believe you can set the EV5 to control master volume and it will automatically control the wah when it is switched on. You don’t have to unplug or change any connections on the GA-FC.
I would love to be able to modulate gain via the expression pedal, I have no idea if it's possible but it would be awesome.

Axe-Man

I loved the front panel amps except for the clean. If they don’t sound ‘right’ you simply need more volume (crunch especially).

1959 I worked the best for cleans for me with the KA. Don’t forget the Vintage resonance mode. That took all the SS brightness out of the amp for me personally.

dazco

Do you guys dime the master and adjust the channel volume, or dime the channel volume and adjust the master?
neither actually. I adjust the quietest of my patches with the ch vol all the way and the rest of the patches at whatever volume makes them the same as that one. Then the master as...well, master. I find it really doesn't matter in a band context because they are both going to be up high enough that it makes no difference. If the master or ch vol is very low then it won't sound as good, but IMO that's not because of the amp, it's just a matter of getting the speaker pumping and it doesn't matter which volume is up or down. In short, it's just my opinion but volume knob position doesn't matter, what matters is getting the amp's overall volume loud enough that the speaker is moving.

VaughnC

Supporting Member
neither actually. I adjust the quietest of my patches with the ch vol all the way and the rest of the patches at whatever volume makes them the same as that one. Then the master as...well, master. I find it really doesn't matter in a band context because they are both going to be up high enough that it makes no difference. If the master or ch vol is very low then it won't sound as good, but IMO that's not because of the amp, it's just a matter of getting the speaker pumping and it doesn't matter which volume is up or down. In short, it's just my opinion but volume knob position doesn't matter, what matters is getting the amp's overall volume loud enough that the speaker is moving.
A while back, the Boss rep made a comment about the Katana sounding best with the master volume up full as the modeled power amp works better (more tubelike) with the speaker that way. And that's the way it sounds to me. But opinions are like noses...no right or wrong, play how/what you like!

I live in the stock clean channel with the master & channel volume's up full and control the volume mostly with the gain & power controls...and, to my ears, my guitars sound like they are supposed to. But it did take a while for me to get a feel for how the tone controls work/interact and how the gain/volume controls interact as they respond differently than any other amp I've played. So, IMO, use your ears over what you think you know about guitar amps.

duncane

But it did take a while for me to get a feel for how the tone controls work/interact and how the gain/volume controls interact as they respond differently than any other amp I've played.
Can you describe that more? I am going through the same thing. I find that if I set the control so all the same - say all at 12 noon or all at zero or all at max then the EQ is the same just the volume is different. Is that what you mean? So currently I start them all at 12 and then turn down the bass and turn up the treble depending on the guitar?

VaughnC

Supporting Member
Can you describe that more? I am going through the same thing. I find that if I set the control so all the same - say all at 12 noon or all at zero or all at max then the EQ is the same just the volume is different. Is that what you mean? So currently I start them all at 12 and then turn down the bass and turn up the treble depending on the guitar?
Pretty much...I keep twisting the knobs until what I hear sounds "right" to me. However, the tone controls seem not as spread out as I'd like them so a little goes a long way with the Katana for me. With my tube amps, I need to turn the tone controls further to get the desired results so they don't seem as touchy as the Katana.

duncane

Pretty much...I keep twisting the knobs until what I hear sounds "right" to me. However, the tone controls seem not as spread out as I'd like them so a little goes a long way with the Katana for me. With my tube amps, I need to turn the tone controls further to get the desired results so they don't seem as touchy as the Katana.
Yeah thats true. I am coming from a Marshall combo and the EQ knobs need to be turned a lot to make a difference. On the Katana a slight knob change can make a big diff. I wonder if thats why some people dont gel with the Katana.

ledvedder

Yes, I'm finding the tone controls to be much different than my tube amps. I've actually seen patches where the tone settings were at zero.

duncane

Yes, I'm finding the tone controls to be much different than my tube amps. I've actually seen patches where the tone settings were at zero.
I have seen those too, but I think you are better off setting the tones a midday and reducing the channel volume a bit. The result is the same by then you still have the option of boosting or cutting the eqs.

Try this if you have a katana:
-Set the EQs at zero, volume at max
-Set the EQs at half, volume at half

Does it sound the same to you?

cyrusj

Do you guys dime the master and adjust the channel volume, or dime the channel volume and adjust the master?
It isn't feasible for live playing to just dime the master and play with channel volumes because anytime you want to make adjustments to your levels it would require adjusting each channel. It would be a nightmare to soundcheck. It's all based on rumours from Boss reps that don't seem to stand up to scrutiny, and in any case the rep who sold me mine told me the exact opposite thing (dime channel volume) which makes more sense to me. I have my channel volumes around 50-70, with a lead patch at 90, and then I only touch master volume when playing live.

I have bass and treble near 0 on my higher gain patches, and mids dimed. It's a bit odd but I find the amp is so bright and scooped especially when cranked, and for lead tones the bass and gain can easily make it sound muddy. I have the brown patch gain really low and use the blues drive to give it some "bite" instead of relying on channel gain.

Overall I think it's worth dialling in tones without any pre-conceptions about settings from tube amps, the katana behaves like no other amp.

MrTAteMyBalls

I've tried, but haven't heard any difference between diming the master or channel volumes. If there is anything, it's very subtle.
Same here. A little snake oil goes a long way....lol.

I think it's just the speaker being pushed. It DOES sound way different at 50 or 100 watts at band levels than cranked at .5 watts. That is more likely from the speaker than something in the amp.

Zerikin

Yeah, the sound changes when the volume gets high enough. In don't think the controls you use to get there matter.

Trending Topics