BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

We cranked up my Katana 100w yesterday;
    never really left the "Brown" channel.
    I already love how it sounds when I use it as my basement practice amp; but it sounds very good when it's turned up.
    Starting to wonder how it'd sound through a Recto 4x12...

2. Gottesverachter

Gottesverachter Member

For what it's worth, for drive sounds I'm using graphic eq instead of a booster - a frowny face peaked at 1k, then on the way out I'm boosting around 2.5k and low pass at 5k.
    Then I set a bit more gain than I normally would and keep looking for sweet spots rolling back guitar knobs.

3. BenoA

BenoA Member

This is what sold it to me, the Lead and the Brown. I'm not too found of the clean. As you said: "But we all like different sounds, I guess."

Loud and wicked! I tried it with 2 4x12...

4. philwhitmore

philwhitmore Member

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    I use a lot of delays and mod effects ,hence why I use the TC in the loop .
    I'm looking at the HX stomp as an alternative (pardon my blasphemy :()
    It does frustrate me when I hear so many great tones from it on YouTube. .. but can never seem to recreate them ... I did begin to think that maybe my katana was faulty lol .. but maybe my ears are just shagged after 30 years of amp abuse ;)

5. ledvedder

ledvedder Supporting Member

Have you tried the cleans from the sneaky amps? The twin clean sounds really good.

Lution likes this.
  6. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

The standard clean channel isn’t a good “fender clean”, it’s more like a keyboard amp that gets slightly gritty in a nice way. Very flat response.

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

the sneaky twin is what I am using. it sounds really good. not quite a fender but it does have that warm yet glassy thing down. It's also GREAT with the built in blues driver. Really nice low gain leads on the neck pickup.

I was using the sneaky 1959 for my mid gain "crunch" sound, but after getting a katana mini I really fell in love with the stock crunch sound. So I went back. The brown is my "stock" high gain sound with a TS in effects position one if I need to chugga chugga.

But yeah the parametric EQ makes It great. We have 2 guitars, 2 synth players and bass and drums so being able to carefully sculpt my sound to fit right is important.

8. ledvedder

Yep, I've found that using either the parametric or global EQ to cut the lows around 80hz and the highs around 6k really helps.

MrTAteMyBalls likes this.
  9. BenoA

BenoA Member

Did try it when the sneaky amps where flavor of the month but never looked back in many months. I will have to re-visit it.

Anyway, I'm not much a clean guy, so I'm very happy with the Crunch, Lead and Brown. Boosted or not they deliver and get the character out of the guitar you use with them. Simply add some boost from the built-in overdrives if you need more grit.

ledvedder likes this.
  10. dazco

dazco Member

The drive sounds on the front panel....nope. I can get some decent stuff from it but i exclusively use 2 of the sneaky amp models and rarely use the front panel tones. The kat IS capable of very good drive tones and those who think different may not have delved very deep into the possibilities or delved in deep in the wrong direction. Thats what i did for a while but i eventually found what gets the drive tones i wanted from it. The katana is not discriminating....it can get the $hittiest of tones or the best. :D Pretty much the same with all digi amps tho, which is why they are not good amps for people who detest time spent tweaking.

11. Redrum

Redrum Member

The Clean channel seems to work well with my pedals in front. Not mind-blowing, but it works.

Lately I've been playing the Crunch channel with the gain around 9:00 and no pedals. I'm getting some nice warmer tones with some grit and breakup when I dig in. A little verb and delay. Pretty much good to go for a minimalist grab n' go setup.

It's funny, the longer I own my Kat 100C the more I have come to appreciate it's wide variety of tones. At first, I wasn't floored, to say the least. But I've been patient with it and have taken the time to explore what it has to offer, often by experimenting with some pretty extreme EQ settings with surprising results.

I also have the GAFC but strangely, don't find myself using it much. At this point I either leave it on the Crunch channel and work my guitar volume or put my pedal board in front of the clean channel.

It's been a somewhat strange journey with the Kat, I have to admit. All in all, I'm glad I've hung on to it. It's fun to play and sounds pretty damn good at volume with the band. I now realize there's, inevitably, more interesting tones to be discovered. It's a unique amp in that respect.

12. ledvedder

I'm curious, what are the 2 sneaky amp models that you use?

13. dazco

dazco Member

The 1959 I+II and the clean twin. The latter i don't really use for clean but with the blues drive pedal model. Both models i set so i can get good cleans rolling back the guitar vol. But as a clean amp tone the twin by itself is pretty good, better then the front panel clean IMO. I just don't use it that way. Cool thing about the 1959 is the tone knobs are incredibly useful and wide ranging so u can get most anything you need out of it, plus it clans up nice from the guitar. At least for me it does, as i use fenders with vintage type singles.

Res Ipsa and Lution like this.
  14. ledvedder

I love the 1959 amp models. Adding the tube screamer with 0 gain to them is heaven to my ears!

Res Ipsa and Lution like this.
  15. dazco

dazco Member

I agree 110%. I did that very thing with the fender mustang GT and the old mustang always. Almost every patch i would use i had the screamer on by default with the distortion all the way down and level up enough to kick the input, then lower the amp model's gain till i have the amount of OD i want. And with the katana and 1959 i love it too, but i also like that model by itself. But I tend to agree...with the screamer itls absolute heaven and set right it cleans up with the guitar volume as well if not better then the amp alone. If anyone hears that and doesn't think it can hand with a great sounding tube mp of a like style of tone, they have ear plugs in.

Res Ipsa likes this.
  16. zoteboy

zoteboy Member

Hi everyone, I have already share this on the facebook page, but I want to share it here too...I made a few patches with my Boss Katana 50. I made it with a strat type of guitar (Yamaha Pacifica) and the master volumen cranked (0.5w mode). I don´t use any of the sneaky amps, just a lil bit of global EQ to get a Fender clean tone. The patches are:

- Fendery clean with tremolo and spring reverb, I was looking for the Curtis Mayfield tone, I usually play the song "I´ve been trying" with this. If you disable the tremolo, you get a basic fendery clean tone

- Bluesy patch, it is just the clean with the gain high and a lil bit of boost, slapback delay and spring reverb

- SRV patches-(three basic tones): clean (fendery clean with a low gain TS in front), leslie speaker (like the song "Cold shot) and dirt/lead tone (fendery clean with a TS and solo boost engaged, it´s a lil bit like use two TS pedals at the same time).

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=Katana&ID=10927

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=Katana&ID=10926

I hope you like it, thank you and cheers from Spain!

Erjimipey likes this.
  17. chandra

chandra Member

Am I the only person who doesn't care for the sneaky amps? Any of what the sneaky amps can do, can be EQ'ed off of the models that come stock with the Katana. Sure, you gotta spend more time fine tuning, but the Fender Clean, 1959, etc, are all the exact same thing as what's already on the amp, just tweaked differently.

~~~~

@zoteboy awesome patches. Thanks for sharing

cyrusj, beagle, VaughnC and 3 others like this.
  18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'm with you. I tried them all and then went right back to my own presets. Maybe they just weren't my thing.

chandra and Jim234 like this.
  19. frthib

frthib Member

Me too.
    I believe there is a reason why those models didn't make it on the "official" amps list. IMO.

chandra and T Dizz like this.
  20. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I agree for the drive sounds, although I liked The 1959 pretty well. The fender twin clean sounds totally different from the stock clean, and for what I do it's way better.

Mike_it_up and chandra like this.