BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Erjimipey

Erjimipey Member

Hi Zoteboy, I'm also Spanish from Granada and I've tried your patches before and like them a lot! Un abrazo!

zoteboy likes this.
  2. zoteboy

zoteboy Member

Hi! It´s a lil bit strange speak to you in english haha, but that´s the rule of TheGearPage, I´m from Tenerife, thanks for trying my patches. Un abrazo!

Erjimipey likes this.
  3. BenoA

BenoA Member

No. I did try them when it was the flavor of the month. I did a factory reset a long time ago and never looked back.

beagle, VaughnC and chandra like this.
  4. rcl

rcl Member

I didnt spend enough time to love or hate. It wasn't worth having to mess with the second tool to manipulate things. More and more I just use the amp as a 4 channel head with the loop as a boost.

EricPeterson and chandra like this.
  5. Redrum

Redrum Member

Same here. I've been really satisfied with the stock panel offerings.

6. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

It's now worth going through all the sneaky amps. Just try the MS1959 I+II :)

7. cyrusj

cyrusj Member

You echo my thoughts completely. I messed around with the sneaky amps when I first got the head but they just didn't sound anything special. That and I got the feeling that these aren't really "models" in the true sense but just the same channels with a bit of a faffery in the EQ. The channels don't really have distinctive characters like on a modeller, just different levels of gain and EQ on each. I found that I could get any of the tones I wanted from the stock amps and good usage of the boost effects and EQ. I don't really understand how some people think you need sneaky amps to get a thick metal distortion or a bluesy drive tone. It's all in the amp straight from the panel controls.

I would love to be able to modulate gain via the expression pedal, I have no idea if it's possible but it would be awesome.

chandra likes this.
  8. BenoA

BenoA Member

As far as I know you can't. May be with FxFloorboard but I haven't checked out.

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I loved the front panel amps except for the clean. If they don’t sound ‘right’ you simply need more volume (crunch especially).

1959 I worked the best for cleans for me with the KA. Don’t forget the Vintage resonance mode. That took all the SS brightness out of the amp for me personally.

October3 likes this.
  10. ledvedder

ledvedder Supporting Member

Do you guys dime the master and adjust the channel volume, or dime the channel volume and adjust the master?

11. dazco

dazco Member

neither actually. I adjust the quietest of my patches with the ch vol all the way and the rest of the patches at whatever volume makes them the same as that one. Then the master as...well, master. I find it really doesn't matter in a band context because they are both going to be up high enough that it makes no difference. If the master or ch vol is very low then it won't sound as good, but IMO that's not because of the amp, it's just a matter of getting the speaker pumping and it doesn't matter which volume is up or down. In short, it's just my opinion but volume knob position doesn't matter, what matters is getting the amp's overall volume loud enough that the speaker is moving.

TS808 and dlguitar64 like this.
  12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

A while back, the Boss rep made a comment about the Katana sounding best with the master volume up full as the modeled power amp works better (more tubelike) with the speaker that way. And that's the way it sounds to me. But opinions are like noses...no right or wrong, play how/what you like!

I live in the stock clean channel with the master & channel volume's up full and control the volume mostly with the gain & power controls...and, to my ears, my guitars sound like they are supposed to. But it did take a while for me to get a feel for how the tone controls work/interact and how the gain/volume controls interact as they respond differently than any other amp I've played. So, IMO, use your ears over what you think you know about guitar amps.

13. duncane

duncane Member

Can you describe that more? I am going through the same thing. I find that if I set the control so all the same - say all at 12 noon or all at zero or all at max then the EQ is the same just the volume is different. Is that what you mean? So currently I start them all at 12 and then turn down the bass and turn up the treble depending on the guitar?

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Pretty much...I keep twisting the knobs until what I hear sounds "right" to me. However, the tone controls seem not as spread out as I'd like them so a little goes a long way with the Katana for me. With my tube amps, I need to turn the tone controls further to get the desired results so they don't seem as touchy as the Katana.

15. duncane

duncane Member

Yeah thats true. I am coming from a Marshall combo and the EQ knobs need to be turned a lot to make a difference. On the Katana a slight knob change can make a big diff. I wonder if thats why some people dont gel with the Katana.

16. ledvedder

ledvedder Supporting Member

Yes, I'm finding the tone controls to be much different than my tube amps. I've actually seen patches where the tone settings were at zero.

17. duncane

duncane Member

I have seen those too, but I think you are better off setting the tones a midday and reducing the channel volume a bit. The result is the same by then you still have the option of boosting or cutting the eqs.

Try this if you have a katana:
    -Set the EQs at zero, volume at max
    -Set the EQs at half, volume at half

Does it sound the same to you?

18. cyrusj

cyrusj Member

It isn't feasible for live playing to just dime the master and play with channel volumes because anytime you want to make adjustments to your levels it would require adjusting each channel. It would be a nightmare to soundcheck. It's all based on rumours from Boss reps that don't seem to stand up to scrutiny, and in any case the rep who sold me mine told me the exact opposite thing (dime channel volume) which makes more sense to me. I have my channel volumes around 50-70, with a lead patch at 90, and then I only touch master volume when playing live.

I have bass and treble near 0 on my higher gain patches, and mids dimed. It's a bit odd but I find the amp is so bright and scooped especially when cranked, and for lead tones the bass and gain can easily make it sound muddy. I have the brown patch gain really low and use the blues drive to give it some "bite" instead of relying on channel gain.

Overall I think it's worth dialling in tones without any pre-conceptions about settings from tube amps, the katana behaves like no other amp.

gustavz, gumtown and ledvedder like this.
  19. basplr

basplr Member

I've tried, but haven't heard any difference between diming the master or channel volumes. If there is anything, it's very subtle.

woz, BenoA and TS808 like this.
  20. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Same here. A little snake oil goes a long way....lol.

I think it's just the speaker being pushed. It DOES sound way different at 50 or 100 watts at band levels than cranked at .5 watts. That is more likely from the speaker than something in the amp.

basplr and TS808 like this.