BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. middy

middy Member

I get what you mean, though. I don't dig the gain channels much, and it's hard to get the built in effects set how I like for max flexibility. I think I might send back the GA-FC for a GT-1

2. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Thanks for posting this is how I would want to run mine. Actually I don't mind messing with the onboard stuff (already have a Mustang) just prefer the option of using the pedals I have collected over the years.

With the Mustang some of the pedals were fine such as the transparent low gain OD - wampler europhia, but if I stick a medium to high gain Xotic SL in front it sounds as though the DSP is overloading - just wrong.

The THR100H is very natural with pedals, but it would be good to see some more comments on how the Katana handles pedals so I could be confident of using this option as wells as grab and go.

Cheers

3. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Played around with mine last night for the first time. I just bought the 100 1x12. First impression - unreal. But what really floored me was the acoustic channel with an acoustic guitar. Absolutely killer acoustic sound from this thing. Anybody else super impressed with the acoustic side? Wow.

rsm, gustavz, TonicTrouble and 3 others like this.
  4. trisonic

trisonic Member

No, I don’t have an electro/acoustic although I have heard Pete Honore’s brief go at it (on one of the Anderson vids). Sounded good once they had re-EQ’d to get rid of too much “low end thump”.
    Obviously Boss/Roland are not going to make one according to my views and am ignoring the FX/Delay right now. Frankly there’s still a lot for me to discover using the amp controls and I’d like to play them out before delving deeper with a computer.
    I hope to get the chance to try a “Looking Glass” through the Clean channel later today (and in conjunction with the “Spark”) then onto a Klone....

Fascinating amp.

Best, Pete.

LordByron likes this.
  5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Which actually works very well

I used guitar into a third party a/b/y selector that feeds both Katana INPUT and GT-1 INPUT and then use a quality 3.5mm TRS cable and feed GT-1 Headphone out into Katana Aux (Mix in ) INPUT and have an incredible sounding rig

This even works with Katana 50

Or on Katana 100 use BTS to assign the FX Loop for Parallel mode and run GT-1 Left Mono out into Katana FX Loop Return

But the 1st scenario above allows you to feed Katana Stereo Headphone out into a separate passive stereo DI box to feed the FOH PA or IEM system and Katana sits mono while GT-1 sits in a stereo field

It's a fat wall of sound!

Run an EV-5 into the Katana's rear expression pedal INPUT and then get your desired tone (Katana or GT-1 or blend of both using Katana and GT-1 expression pedals

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    TheMinion, SamPaoli, rsm and 5 others like this.
  6. middy

middy Member

Interesting, but what's wrong with running the GT-1 directly into the front of the Katana?

7. Elantric

That works too

And very well

But in my suggested scenario I get major wall of sound unfathonable at this price

rsm and TonicTrouble like this.
  8. middy

middy Member

Oh, I see, you get like 2 rigs in parallel, plus the potential for parallel delays. Very interesting...

rsm and Elantric like this.
  9. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Oh man, the Katana 50 has a stereo Headphone out? What's great about posts like this is I learn a whole new way to use the gear I already have! I just ordered a 3.5mm TRS stereo cable to better feed my headphone/emulated outs (of the modelers I do have) to my monitors and also my stereo power amp to cabs. :)

rsm likes this.
  10. Elantric

Just remember the Katana and it's built in FX remain Mono

But the stereo headphone out allows you to monitor a stereo feed delivered into the 3.5mm TRS Stereo Aux INPUT or USB Audio

[​IMG]

The block diagram is in error

The Aux in and Phones out are TRS Stereo

rsm likes this.
  11. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Ok... Thanks for the explanation. Not what I was hoping but I have a solution for that and I can see what you were talking about now. Is the Katana Mono in Left and Right or just one or the other?

12. DreamsOfMilkAndHoney

DreamsOfMilkAndHoney Member

Hey everyone, I have a few questions for those who own the 50w version, I tried looking online but didn't find an answer and this topic is huge (great source of information but need a lot of time to go through it all :) ) and it's only been around 3 months - impressive!

Anyway, my main question is about the 3 effects at once thing. I assume that this includes reverb and delay as well? Meaning I cannot pick 3 effects from the booster/mod category and delay and reverb? So in other words, is it limited to 1 effect per category or can I pick for example 3 effects from one and none from the other?

I (sadly) assume it's probably only one effect from each category, in this case this is kind of like the pod hd 300 and 400 situation, where you are limited to what you can pick at once and that kind of gets in the way of tone building. Say my base tone would be the crunch setting with an OD pedal, slight reverb and delay and I'd want to use the octave on it sometimes or the flanger for example. I couldn't do that, correct?
    I know I can always plug in an external pedal but the big selling point of this amp to me is the 55 effects you can choose from and store 15, since I already had a Boss GT-001 (desktop version of the GT-100) and was impressed by the effects (plus I'm a fan of the ''Cube'' line, started out with a now 14 year old Cube 15, Got the 10gx to use as a base for amp modellers on the JC clean channel and as a bass amp, just recently got the Micro GX just to have something small and portable, this thing roars for it's size...) so that would make me rethink the purchase. Especially since I plan on selling my Zoom G5 after I would buy this. I'm trying to steer away from pedal's and multi fx's units but I still like to use them enough (especially octave, OD/DS, bit of phaser/flanger here and there) that if they are in the amp, well then why couldn't we choose more than 3? I mean it should be easy to configure with the button presses and all...maybe a firmware update?

Anyway, I would appreciate the answer on this even though I suspect I answered myself already.

Other thing I'd like to know, I've been hunting for a giggable amp for some time and by that I mean can cut through with a moderately loud drummer and bassist (maybe keyboards too) and is good enough for small clubs. Bigger places got a PA anyway... So I've been looking at the Mustang III (already got the I, very fun amp), Cube 80gx, various Vox's but I don't dig them too much, recently looking at the Marshall Code50 but I've been burned on Marshall one time too many with their SS amps (the MG series...ugh...got a MG15 once and it sounded like garbage, the 3w Micro GX blows it to pieces...) and their dull clean tones, considered Peavey Vypyr VIP2 but I don't like the cheap plastic, christmas lights on the front and the fact I've only seen one impressive demo of it so now I almost settled on a Blackstar ID:30 TVP and then I find the Katana. Which is 199€ (I'm from the ol'EU), compared to 360€ for Blackstar. In fact all the amps mentioned here are more expensive. So a 50w 12inch speaker with 55 boss effects (and I like the whole ''Katana'' design and style) is very, very inviting at this price point. Especially since my budget pretty much does not allow for much more at this point. Would return the Micro but it looks too good on the table (white one) and sounds too good for the size, heh...

So my question would be, for anyone with experience with other amps, how does Katana hold up? In terms of sheer volume (and does the 0.5w I think it is? option provide a good bedroom level tone? I find my Micro to actually sound better louder, to my surprise...), dynamics and picking response and of course, TONE. I don't care about only 4 amp settings (not counting acoustics), I've seen the demos, it seems impressive enough but first hand experience from users here is always better (and yes I'll try to read this entire topic tonight :p). I got a Strat with SD quarter pounders, so a quite hot pickups and I mostly play hard rock/heavy blues a bit of melodic neo-classical sometimes, even fusion...

Well I think I posted too many questions and too big of a first post as it is. Would appreciate the answer on effects (as then I need to really reconsider my options, but then again at this price point it's hard to resist if the rest lives up to some of the hype I've been seeing and hearing - and some is negative too but not enough people own these to get any idea yet so info from players with experience with amps and sound would be most welcome) and the general questions how this amp stacks up to to others. I would just use a laptop, monitors/portable PA system and Bias AMP/Bias FX - as I have not yet played through a SS amp that can match the tone and response of that, but thats too big of a hassle. I'm 28 and computer savy, but when it comes to amps I'm finding I want it simple...but not quite 3 effects only simple. :D

13. rsm

rsm Member

soooo, it looks like the Roland CUBE amps are discontinued due to the Boss Katana. That was quick if true. Can anyone confirm?

14. Elantric

Im rather positive the Cube 80GX Cube 40GX are history

Others remain

Steve Hotra and rsm like this.
  15. Elantric

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    DreamsOfMilkAndHoney likes this.
  16. rsm

rsm Member

I looked at MF, and only the 10GX, compact, micro and Street are available...20/40/80 GX seem scarce in a quick google search

17. DreamsOfMilkAndHoney

Thanks, I did not see that topic. Google brought me to this one. So I guess thats how it is with only 3 effects. Shame, kind of an unnecessary limitation. Well at least I can use a booster and octaver separately.

Would still appreciate those with experience with other amps to chime in how this compares. Also to Cubes - since I'm a fan of Cubes (but not tubes :p well I would love a tube amp...just without the cost and the hassle and the weight...and in all honesty modelling has come such a long way, tubes will be relics soon, even now if we A/B blind test very few would notice...but that's off topic...). Well I will read this topic and probably find answers there but would like to get it before they sell it out under my nose.

18. rsm

rsm Member

I have a pair of Roland CUBE-80GX; if I didn't I'd have a pair of Katana 100-1x12. I think the general consensus is that Katana is the replacement for the CUBE guitar amps at least...so that's where I'd go if buying today: Katana. My CUBE amps only have 3 effects with fewer options and no effect loop. With some of the Katana models, you can add effects to the loop, and in both cases you can run effects in front of the amps.

19. Strat335

Strat335 Member

That's what I was thinking. An amp a piece for my son and I, and when I gig play both for a little separation. A Landry someday, but I will own this amp. I appreciate this long thread.

Elantric likes this.
  20. DreamsOfMilkAndHoney

Thanks. I've actually just been checking the mod/fx list and it says that I can select the same effect for MOD and FX. So I would assume I can assign any 3 I want to the Delay/FX portion and as such still use any desired mod/fx effect with a booster, only sacrificing the delay in that case. That would be agreeable. And well from owning the Boss GT-001 I got really familiar with the Tone Central/Studio - probably my favorite editor for tone. I was thinking of getting the Cube 80gx but as it's more expensive and even more limiting with the FX options, I'd rather go with Katana as well. I don't mind the less amp models, if the tone/speakers are an improvement it doesn't matter. If I didn't buy the Micro GX a week ago or so with a bunch of other stuff I'd go for the 100w version but 50w should do. Up to 250€ I can only get Blackstar ID:15 TVP, Peavey Vypyr VIP2 and Marshall CODE25 here and I'm hoping Katana outperforms all of them. From some of the demos I'm really liking it (but hard to always tell via YT and all) Then again I'm a bit biased to Boss/Roland, haven't let me down yet.

Elantric and rsm like this.