BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. piperman

piperman Member

Lol.

I love these.

Lol.

Pidgin English and +NRG like this.
  2. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I know, right? When I was demoing mine quite a few people asked me if it was a tube amp. Even if it doesn't sound like one, it has a damn good sound of it's own.

Axe-Man, Steve Hotra and +NRG like this.
  3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

What can people tell me about "secret amps"?

4. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

To each his own i guess.

5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

6. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry, yes, I meant sneaky amps :oops: :bonk

Thanks for the link. I haven't hooked mine up to the web yet because it sounds pretty good as it comes. I'm not sure what firmware it came with.

GovernorSilver likes this.
  7. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

:rolleyes: :horse :aok

Peppy and +NRG like this.
  8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

No worries! I updated the amp so I could try the DC-30 chorus-echo pedal that was added. I suspect most users installed the update to get stereo recording over USB, as well as gain the ability to assign controllers to FX parameters.

+NRG, Bob Pollock and Doomrider78 like this.
  9. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I bought the amp on Sunday but have barely had a chance to play with it because I've had my parents visiting from the UK, so I've got a lot of fiddling to do.

+NRG and GovernorSilver like this.
  10. piperman

piperman Member

To respond in general, people get all bent out of shape in these threads about tube amps Vs not-tube Amps and have all of these absolute statements about other people’s needs.

I think tube amps rule. I also think any equipment (that’s properly functioning) can sound good when put in the appropriate hands. That’s an absolute statement, but we’ve all seen it in clubs/bars/churches/whatever you do.

I’ve had a couple different katanas over the last couple years. I use my tube amps live, cuz my sound is an AC15 sounding like it’s about to blow up. But that’s not a knock against what I think is probably the best entry point to a decent amp that’s been out in my lifetime. My students love them. On stage they make them sound huge compared to their practice amps of the same dollar value. And I’ve used them with my band(s). You may have to eq different for stage use, but to me that’s the fun-exploring part.

TLDR - These are amazing amps. They are limited only to what you can do with them. Just like everything. I just restated this entire 800 page thing. Sorry.

11. +NRG

+NRG Member

The DC-30 sounds very nice to me in both chorus & echo modes!

GovernorSilver likes this.
  12. cyrusj

cyrusj Member

Last year I played a gig at a large venue in Wales, and afterwards I was chatting to the soundguy outside (who wasn't the person setting up mics). He was on a rant about how one of the other bands was using a Helix and it didn't sound right to him, you can't replace tubes blah blah blah. I thought the guy sounded pretty good personally. Anyway he says he liked my tone a lot and was asking what amp it was, he looked confused when I told him it was a katana. Granted I shape the EQ pretty aggressively with high and low cuts so it doesn't sound like a stock katana but it seemed to really fool him and this guy was a veteran.

To me the only give away that it isn't a tube amp is a very slight "scratchiness" to the attack with high gain that can't be dialled out fully. It's something that I think listeners don't notice.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Stratomir, Peppy, JasonElGato and 3 others like this.
  13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I also have a tube pre amp pedal (2xECC83s) I need to try with it, which will be interesting.

+NRG and GovernorSilver like this.
  14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I have a Fryette SAS myself. I'll probably try it w/ my Katana at some point. Currently more focused on familiarizing myself with the channel EQ, then maybe try messing with the Master EQ:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/katana-master-eq-settings.1876110/

My 3 favorite guitars and electric violin may each require its own EQ settings as I play more with the dirty channels - may take some time to figure out what sounds nice to my ears for each instrument. One guitar is a D'Angelico semi-hollow, #2 is a solid body Tele, and #3 is a semi-hollow Strat.

+NRG likes this.
  15. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yep, me too. I'm only going to use my pre amp when I've given the amp a good going over. I might not even need it.

I also have a EHX East River Drive, which is a TS808 copy, which I may need to utilise until I get the footswitch.

+NRG likes this.
  16. +NRG

+NRG Member

Yes, there are many ways to skin a Kat...

Before I purchased the Katana 100, I was looking for a non-tube amp that I could use as a Swiss Army knife. My needs / tastes change over time depending on my mood and the musical phases that I go through. I’d grown tired of flipping gear each time my needs changed. I wanted a versatile amp that could cover many bases and survive the ebb and flow of my musical life.
    • A low volume practice amp
    • A high volume jam / gig amp
    • A stand-alone amp with FX
    • A clean amp with external MFX / pedals
    • A powered speaker cab for use with MFX / pre-amps going into the loop return
    The Katana is not perfect but it really has been the perfect amp for my needs! It has taken some effort and experimentation to get what I’m looking for but the necessary tools are in the BTS software.

Not to mention the Katana being lightweight and inexpensive!

17. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

On another forum, somebody brought up this talented guitarist, then asked about how he was getting his bass tones. Turns out he's using a Boss OC-3. I learned today that the OC-3 has range settings so that you can dial in the pitch range where the octave effect kicks in - so you can get the octaver to only play for the lowest note in the chord if you want. Boss calls this "polyphonic".

Naturally I wanted to know if the OC-3 is in the Katana. Not sure that it is, but the polyphonic feature appears to be there.

The OC-3 was apparently released over 10 years ago, so it's too old to challenge the latest pedals from Digitech, EHX, Eventide, etc. for those who have a serious need for an octaver with state of the art tracking and other features. But it's a fun discovery for me. Looking forward to playing with it next time I fire up my Katana.

+NRG likes this.
  18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Thanks for that. The Head/cab sounds significantly better than the combo to me which confirms what I expected. A speaker swap for my combo is in the works.

19. zoteboy

zoteboy Member

Hi everyone. I made 11 patches for ambient stuff...some of them are very simple, just reverb and delay, and others are a lil more complex.

There are include two "lo-fi" ambient sounds too, if you delete the effects you can get a simple clean Lo-fi sound to do whatever you want. I made the Lo-fi thing with EQ...

I hope you like it, cheers from Spain.

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=katana&ID=11289

MotorTedSS and Doomrider78 like this.
  20. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Do they sell the speaker from the Artist as an aftermarket upgrade?