BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Not sure but the speaker I'm getting is the Eminence Legend V128. Its only $60 and its like a beefier, smoother 100 watt V30. Its a good fit considering I find the Kat100 lacks bass and has way too much treble. And yes my stock speaker is broken in.

2. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

The speaker in my Artist doesn't seem to have any of those characteristics, but it's a speaker specific to the Artist.

3. +NRG

+NRG Member

Interesting... To my ears the Katana 100 | 1x12 seems to have extended bass (and treble response). The low cut and high cut filters in the EQ / Global EQ (in the BTS software) took care of the issue for me.

Let us know how the new speaker works out... The price is right!

4. DonaldR

DonaldR Member

There's a lot of speakers that will give you better results than the Katana speaker, but mainly for one specific application. Like for blues use speaker A, for clean use speaker B, for metal use speaker C. So if you use your Katana for only one genre, or even because your taste is different, it makes sense to swap the speaker. On the other hand, the Katana has a very good speaker, yes more generic, but good anyway. I think an open cab also has it's limit in certain application, whatever the speaker you but in.

Peppy, +NRG and GovernorSilver like this.
  5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Have you A/B'd it with another amp? Compared to my marshall head into an open 1x12 cab the katana100 combo is thin and shrill. I EQ the crap out of it currently. I'm hoping that with a better speaker it will require less eq. Dont get me wrong... I like the Kat but in retrospect I should have gotten the head.

DonaldR and +NRG like this.
  6. +NRG

+NRG Member

Haven’t A/B’d it but I know what my ears tell me and the sounds I like. I’m not doubting your experience either but just find it interesting how many different takes you can have on any given piece of gear...

7. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I finally got to try my Katana head at band practice yesterday - I've been using a Mini Rectifier for a few practices, and while it sounds great I've been diming that amp, and wanted a little more horsepower (and built-in reverb).

The Katana sounds really, really good. I'm plugging into the Orange 4x12 at the rehearsal space, and it's just a great tone, juiced up JCM 800 type sound. We also have a tune that needs a dirty rockabilly type tone with reverb, and I got something dialed in there pretty good too.

I'd have no problem gigging with the Katana - it sounds great and the head is much smaller and lighter than the other 100 watt amps I have.

8. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Does anyone know how to control the volume of the aux in? At the moment, I've got the amp volume around half and control the overall volume via the master volume. The problem is the aux in is very quiet, probably due to the fact the master volume is so low.

Is it simply a case of turning down the amp volume and turning up the master? Is there anywhere in the software I can alter the aux volume?

+NRG and DonaldR like this.
  9. +NRG

+NRG Member

I haven’t used the aux in but if it’s affected by the master volume you may have to turn up the master and turn down the channel volume. Stupid question... Do you have the volume of the item plugged into the aux turned up?

10. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Haha yeah tried that, although that's the kind of stupid thing I'd do :bonk:facepalm

11. +NRG

+NRG Member

Me too! B)

12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Here's a hypothetical question: Could I use my Katana Artist as a cabinet for a tube amp head? Asking for a friend :p

It has a speaker jack for 8 and 16 ohm extension cabs so it should work, shouldn't it?

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

The speaker jacks go to the amplifier so no you cant plug an amp into those but you could get a speaker cable with a female on one end and plug that end into the speaker cable on the artist and run the other end to your tube amp.

14. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry, yes: That's what I meant.

15. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Does anyone use the Boss expression pedal with it? I'm wondering if it adds another layer of volume control or does it control the master or amp volumes?

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

with the v3 firmware upgrade you can control everything. It can be quite crazy!

However, basic functionality of it is master volume or volume input and wah. As a wah, i don't find it practical as you don't have a toe switch on it. Some more tap dancing to do.

17. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Crippled? Have you played it live in a gig setting? If so, and it doesn’t work for you, that’s fine. That’s your experience.

I have a Katana 50 which I gig with and it works live very well. The clean channel is great and works great with my pedal board. When I use the overdrive channel of the Katana in a live setting, it cuts through no problem and sounds great. Over the last decade, I’ve struggled with gigging with tube amps because I just can’t get them to the sweet spot because it’s too loud for the situations I play in. With the Kat 50, I mic it up at the 25 watt setting and sometimes even the half a watt setting. It allows me to get a good sound live at a volume that the sound people can live with.

This is the first amp I’ve had since I got rid of the dual Rectifier that has made me stop regretting getting rid of the Mesa Boogie. There’s no venue I play in that i can’t crank up a 100 watt tube amp.

Bobbyoso and Peppy like this.
  18. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

What overdrive tones do you use in the amp itself? Because I've only has the amp just over a week, I'm still exploring the amp by itself: however, I also have a EHX East River Drive OD, as well as a Laney tube pre amp I could use with it, if I see the need.

Pidgin English likes this.
  19. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I have used the crunch channel a lot with the gain maxed, Bass barely cracked open, mids at about noon and treble around 10. I currently use for my overdrive the brown channel with bass and treble at noon and mids at 3:00. I love the sound of this. Got the settings from Johan “Mr. Plexi” Segeborn when he demonstrated the amp. Just a great hot rodded plexi vibe.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  20. Peppy

Peppy Member

Same here. My Katana 50 on the 25 watt setting is killing the other amps at a local jam club. Opinion not necessarily mine but that of many other guitar players. Every night I receive compliments and questions on it. I have over 50 years of gigging now and the Katana is a proverbial godsend.