BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Peppy

Peppy Member

BOSS is now $elling the Waza 12" speaker separately.

2. BenoA

BenoA Member

Link? How much?

3. BenoA

BenoA Member

@Peppy

Google helped me. Found a video and the Boss tech said 189 euros. I bet it will be close in US dollars and a kidney, an eye or another important organ in Canadian currency.

He also mentioned "limited quantity"

4. rauchman

rauchman Member

Greetings,
    Getting a Katana 100W combo tomorrow from the wife for a b-day present. Being that I don't want to go through over 800 pages in thread, was hoping I could get some questions answered. Probably getting ahead of myself, but.....

Does anyone use both the Roland EV-5 expression pedal and the Boss GA-FC foot controller? Can additional Boss pedals be used, vol, wah, etc.?
    Regarding the GA-FC, it has a Looper control. Is there Looper capability in the Katana amp that gets triggered by the FC, or would this require a separate pedal?
    Is it worth it to go either with the 2x12 Katana or the 100W head over the 100w combo? If so, what is gained?
    Does the head offer stereo out capability to go with a stereo cab? Does the Boss Katana 2x12 cab only offer stereo capability?
    I keep on reading that the speaker the Katana 100w combo comes with is "ok", but not great. Again, probably getting ahead of myself, but if one were to replace the speaker, what would be a good choice?

Looking forward to exploring this amp!

5. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Guys is the channel volume before the preamp?
    It sounds like it is....

6. Tim Easterday

Tim Easterday Member

I have two EV-5 expression pedals hooked up to my GA-FC. One for volume and the other for wah or whatever I want to assign in BTS. You can use any Boss or other brand pedal in front of the amp or in the effects loop. The GA-FC does not have any looper control. There is a button labeled Loop that turns the effects loop on and off. I have the 100W head because I already had a 2x12 combo, so I am just using the speakers in the combo. It's up to you whether you want to use an external cab or get the combo, I can't see any major differences except the head has MIDI. Stereo out recording is available through the USB connection to a DAW.

Pidgin English and rauchman like this.
  7. rauchman

rauchman Member

Very much appreciated.....thank you!

8. nashsed

nashsed Member

Has anyone had any luck with a multi effects pedal that has worked well with the Katana 50.

Since the 50 lacks a FX loop I tried using a Zoom G3xN with the Katana 50 primarily for looper practice but everytime I switched the Zoom unit to bypass mode the Katana sounded horrible.

I've heard a few others mention as well that the Zoom units really distorted to Katana's tone when in bypass mode.

So I was wondering if there was any other multi effects unit (with looper) that doesn't colour the Katana's tone when in bypass mode.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  9. ptgold

ptgold Member

Wutsup katana lovers. I have a question regarding the Brown channel.

I've seen it mentioned that it's based off of the Soldano SLO, is this true?

I used to own an Axe Fx 2 and this was always my favorite model because of the liquid lead feel. It was also super versatile as it could be crunchy or super smooth depending on the dials.

Could you get a Warren Haynes type tone on the Brown channel of the Katana?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a K100 Artist BTW

10. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

Boss voices their speaker to sound like a Greenback. However, Greenbacks are only rated at 25w. I would go with the 75w Creamback.

rauchman likes this.
  11. BenoA

BenoA Member

Lots of misinformation on the internet. This is mostly due because the MIDI control numbers matches the GT series channels.

The Brown channel on the Katana is based off their own Waza amp brown channel. This has been confirmed by Boss in my Facebook group.

As for the other channels, they do not match any other amps out there. They are Boss' own version of various amp sounds and tweaked for the Katana power amps.

Hope that clears it.

12. ptgold

ptgold Member

Oh well......How about those sneaky amps, does it have a SLO download?

13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Downloaded these. Thanks so much for making them.

zoteboy likes this.
  14. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I have the 50 and I think the brown channel is a bit too much distortion for Warren Haynes. I would think the lead channel would be closer to the mark.

15. rauchman

rauchman Member

My b-day was Wednesday and my wife got me a Katana 100 combo. Got to dink around with it a bit yesterday. On the whole, I like it and am keeping it. It fits a need for a practice amp, with versatility to jam and versatility of sound, along with a headphone jack to keep bliss in the household. I usually play / practice in the basement. This amp is setup in the living room. My cats are not happy.

Went through all the amp modeling sounds and for the most part, can work with all of them. I like and usually play with a high gain sound, so was surprised, I actually liked the Clean amp model the best. With Gain at 7-8 or so, it gives just enough dig to get something like an early Stones sound, but doesn't sound thin and wimpy (like my other amp, the Peavey Classic 50 on the clean channel). Of course the Brown amp is cool as well, even Crunch is good. Lead was ok, but not great. All the models had a slightly compressed sound though, and was surprised that when switching between the different models, the volume levels would change. Clean was notably louder than the Brown amp. Actually, the Brown amp had the lowest volume, and then would progressively get louder as I moved the dial through Lead, Crunch and Clean. Thought that was odd and didn't think it an asset.

Only used the 0.5w setting, and as I had read in the reviews for this amp, that setting was surprisingly loud and have no need of going to the 50w, let alone the 100w, aside from a jam setting.

Haven't dug into the Tone Studio yet, but just using the on board effects, I liked what I was hearing. The reverb was pretty dang good, as was the delay and modulation effects. No complaints. Looking forward to exploring the online sound building options. I'm hoping the Tone Studio will allow better tone control than just what the stock tone controls are giving. The way I have my guitar setup, I have a wide tonal range (500k pots on single coils), and I'm just not hearing the wide range of tone I'm accustomed to hearing from the Peavey Classic 50. Maybe it's the speaker? Also will be getting the foot controller. From the reviews I've read, the foot controller is almost a necessity to really open up the capability of the amp.

All in all, I'm happy, and happy with this version of the Katana. I started second guessing myself in thinking, maybe I should have gotten the head, or the 2x12, or splurged and gotten the Artist. I'm good with this version of the Katana.

FLX likes this.
  16. milosppf

milosppf Member

I use the Boss GT-1 plugged straight into the Katana 50 and I am very happy with the results.

The GT-1 has the tuner and the looper, unlike the GA-FC footswitch, and it shares pretty much the same effects as the Katana, so you can create multiple patches and bypass the lack of presets on the Katana.

On the other hand, you can use the assign function and set different parameters to the three footswitches, so you can also use it as a "pedalboard" with 4 pedals, for example wah-boost-fx-delay.

nashsed and +NRG like this.
  17. 30yoBoomer

30yoBoomer Member

Does anyone have a video of someone using a katana in a live mix, preferably some alt or indie rock type music? Ive seen some videos on youtube but it's mostly boomers playing boomer music

18. mbell75

mbell75 Member

I’ve never seen or even heard of alt or indie bands using a Katana. 99% of all I have seen and heard with the Katana have been blues bands. Alt and indie is pretty much all Fender, Orange and Vox.

19. milosppf

milosppf Member

Rob Chapman did a Katana 50 review with his Dorje bandmates.

Powderfinger and Peppy like this.
  20. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Had the chance to try a katana Artist/nextone and then a blues cube artist.

The Blues Cube was used on sale less than the Katana and just felt and sounded better to me. I like my katana mini for the road though.

Lef T likes this.