BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I just got one for pedal steel. I played through one at Steel Guitars Nashville about a month ago and I was really impressed with it for that. A bunch of different steels sounded really good with it. I've gone through a few amps and hadn't found anything I really liked for steel.

So found a used on at GC. Actually they had two. I use the panel setting so nothing should have been saved (didn't do a factory reset though, maybe should have) and one did sound better than the other. I had them at the same height and played with them for a while. Anyway, I took the better sounding one home with me, it was really cheap, 250 bucks. It sounded really good with the steel, then I found Sneaky amps and the Gumtown SW and loaded the clean Twin sound. Man, I am really liking it. Going to take it to rehearsal tonight. I even ran my Jester into it for guitar and it sounded pretty good. I highly doubt it is going to knock out my Bella for gig work, for the guitar, but it is certainly going to be my steel amp. And a light and easy rehearsal amp. Leave the pedal board home, just amp guitar and Jester will be fine.

I'm impressed so far.

Steve Hotra, jens5 and +NRG like this.
  2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The page has been updated with a description:
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/

The Katana Version 3 update...New effect types include the legendary Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo, classic BOSS GE-10 Graphic Equalizer, and expressive 95E pedal wah ... BOSS Tone Studio offers the ability to assign favorite parameters for quick-access control from the front-panel effects knobs and create custom control assignments for up to three connected expression pedals. And when tracking in a DAW via USB, it’s now possible to capture true stereo sound with many of the Katana’s modulation, EQ, delay, and reverb effects.

jens5 likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Surprise! I’m back in the Katana camp. It occurred to me that I might have had too much gain going playing on the lead channel with the gain up over halfway and the volume up over halfway too. So I tried the Katana 100 (1x12) today on the crunch channel with the gain just up enough to my liking and kept the volume at halfway but put the master up a bit more and finally dialed in a good sound at higher volume that didn’t fall apart or get harsh.

The Katana works better for the smaller places and bars we are playing right now where cranking up a tube amp, even a 15 watt, might be too much, especially when we do more stripped down sets. My Bassbreaker 15 was good but there is no real clean setting on it and I like the clean channel on the Katana. The acoustic setting is also super handy. I just wish it was a closed back, or at least mostly closed back cab. I much prefer them to open backs.

Peppy and Pidgin English like this.
  4. Sencha

Sencha Member

This thread is fast becoming your personal blog. You're quite the pessimist so it's not even particularly entertaining.

beagle and Bob_E like this.
  5. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Maybe I am a masochist who's a glutton for punishment?!

Pidgin English, +NRG and gumtown like this.
  6. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

It's got a nice Univibe effect too that actually works quite nicely.

7. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I often think of it like this; It's like people who own a Ferrari or Lamborghini who insist that their car is so superior to a Toyota Camry or Ford Focus. DUH!!! But the Camry and Focus still have nice features and get people where they need to go.

Is a Matchless Chieftain superior to a Katana? In build quality, most likely. But the Katana makes the guitar sound good and it works when I'm gigging and gets me where I need to go.

caledoneus, Peppy and maurizio like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I dont get the whole superiority complex thing and never have. Yeah I own some expensive amps but I absolutely love my Katana head. I have owned a lot of so called "do it all" amplifiers from a DT-50, Spider Valves, Flextones, Fender Mustangs and the Katana smokes every single one of them and it's no contest. I will admit I have not tried the newest Spider V amps so I will withhold judgement until I do.

Pidgin English likes this.
  9. Tritone

Tritone Member

So I have made a few posts poking fun at the Katana craze, but I actually picked up a Katana Head today for practicing and it sounds really, really good for clean and low gain. Maybe the other modes sound great too but I haven't even checked them yet. Today the Katana army gained one more footsoldier!

The only thing I wish it had was a built in tuner.

10. +NRG

+NRG Member

I’ll take a built-in TC PolyTune model! B)

11. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I don't: I'd rather use my Polytune which also acts as a mute pedal.

Pastafarian likes this.
  12. rwp

rwp Member

Same here,works very well.

13. slash-ed

slash-ed Member

14. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I guessed the Friedman was B: There was a bit more depth to the tone, however, the Katana definitely stood it's ground. If it was all about how things sound over you tube, then it would be fine, but having just bought a tube amp, and also being a Katana Artist owner, I prefer the experience of the tube amp. I still maintain though the Katanas are great products.

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

A little more woodiness in the mids of the Friedman but I have to say, the K100 through that Waza 412 sounded basically as good. Now, the question is: was the Friedman dialled into sounding like the Kat or the other way around...or were they both just dialled in to sound good? Who knows. I want a Waza cab myself.

16. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Anyone using a v30 cab with the kat? Open or closed back?

17. ancientmatingcalls

ancientmatingcalls Member

Made a little modification to my K100. I always like the sound I got out of it, but thought it fell short for playing with the band. I tried the Artist but wasn’t impressed enough to keep it.

The pots on my Crate Palomino 50 have been failing. I’ve read that due the poor dissipation the heat from the valves eventually will start to fry other components in the amp.

So I decided to make an amalgamation of the two amps. I had a feeling that the larger cab and 212 speaker configuration would help the Katana to reach a higher potential. The speakers are Celestion Seventy/80s, which I realize aren’t exactly highly regarded but I’m liking what I’m getting out of them. Fortunately the effort paid off and I’m pleased with the results. Haven’t gigged it yet, but I feel confident it’ll deliver.

18. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Nicely done! Love the creme white tolex!

19. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a Katana head since they came out.
    I play ( attempt ) pedal and lap steel.
    The "acoustic" setting is perfect for a "clean" sound.
    I sold my Fishman Artist to fund the Kat, and haven't looked back.
    I use a Tommy Huff 15" open back cab ( Big Ben ) and a Tweaker 12" cab. Great for rehearsals and more than loud enough for gigs.

20. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I got the combo because it was pretty cheap at GC used. I paid 260 for it. The combo doesn't have a speaker jack, looks like it is hard wired? I'll have to take a look. I wanted to hook up a steel speaker I have a Steelaire speaker (loved the speaker hated the amp), 15 designed for steel , after the d130, but it is 4 ohm and I know the head won't take 4. I could unsolder the speaker and put a jack in, run it with another speaker in series maybe, to get it to 8 ohm. Not sure. I was really surprised it wouldn't take 4 ohm speaker.