BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. +NRG

+NRG Member

Nice patches! Sounds good at low volume.

I'll have to turn up the volume later and do a little tweaking... Thank you! B)

BenoA and ShredSquatch like this.
  2. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

I've been trying for 1 year to like my Katana artists and I am not able to get it to sound good. The low and high end frequencies are just fine but the mids seems completely sterile, almost like there is an empty pocket with artificial sounding frequencies in the mids. I have tried a few times to use the EQ in tone studio but struggle to add in a natural sounding mid range. The mid knob on the amp is centered on a very strange frequency, too high-mid for my tone. The crunch channel sounds so strange to my ears, very different from a crunchy Marshall. Could it be that this amp is not playing well with the Fat 50's pickups in my Strat? I see a lot of praise for this amp online but I just don't hear it when I take this amp to practice and gigs.

The other thing is that the problem I have with the mids I also hear in my Fender mustang IV and I hear it in a lot of digital amp demo videos, like the new tonemaster series. Certainly if all digital had this problem in the mid-range others would hear it as well...??? BUT many people seem to love the Katana amps and say they sound the closest to tubes of any digital amp they have heard.

3. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

What Amp did you model that preset after? Or did you just "tweak" until you got it the way you wanted it?

~ss

4. Kevin11

Kevin11 Member

I run my Katana 100 head through a Bogner 4x12 cab (closed-back) loaded with V30s. Sounds fantastic. 99% of the time, I'm on Brown, eq-ed it to taste and that's it. No Tone Studio, no sneaky amps. I've heard/tried the lower wattage heads and combos and don't like those nearly as much as the 100w head through a great cab.

Bob_E likes this.
  5. BenoA

BenoA Member

I'm surrounded by other amps, Peavey 6505, Marshal DSL50 Head, Mesa Mini Rectifier and Mark V:25, Traynor YCV40... And a trio of Katana too! And guess what, I always sound the same whatever I plug in! :D

So when I tweak my amp, I never have something in plan, I go with the moment and usually it takes me just a few second to get something I like and once I'm done, I simply start to rock!

So all that babbling above just to say, I was not looking to mimic anything and I simply got something that made me smile. It's been over 2.5 years with the Katana and for the price, it still makes me happy, I really wish I had such an amp when I started out. We live in great times!

jens5, beagle, ShredSquatch and 2 others like this.
  6. BenoA

BenoA Member

Thanks, your comment is very appreciated!

+NRG and ShredSquatch like this.
  7. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

I took a crack at the EvH brown soumd from the early records.
    Check it out, free download in the video description!

Let me hear what you think!

BenB123, Pidgin English, +NRG and 2 others like this.
  8. +NRG

+NRG Member

Thank you! I’ll have to check this patch out when I get back from vacation...

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  9. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Glad to see that even bi-ped creatures that are rarely seen in the wild are also enjoying the Katana :D

ShredSquatch and +NRG like this.
  10. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

You're not alone. I got the Kat 50 when they first came out. I don't think it sounds even remotely tube-like. The problem is so many people say that it's a great amp that you start to doubt your own judgement. I had the same thing with a Blues Cube Artist - hated it. A couple of months ago I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15. Great amp. Playing it side by side with the Katana the differences are staggeringly obvious. If you're not hearing it you never will. Time for a different amp.

DeadLazy likes this.
  11. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

Where’s the best place to find patches? I’m looking for a good vox patch for a katana 100.

Thanks

Pidgin English likes this.
  12. BenoA

BenoA Member

Byknfool and Pidgin English like this.
  13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

BenoA gave some great links. The Guitarpatches.com website has some great ones. Our good TGP’r @DutchGuitarDude just did an awesome Van Halen patch. I downloaded it and am planning to use it for the rock gig the band has in 2 weeks.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.