1. The target date for the upgrade is this Tuesday, August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BenoA

BenoA Member

I'm surrounded by other amps, Peavey 6505, Marshal DSL50 Head, Mesa Mini Rectifier and Mark V:25, Traynor YCV40... And a trio of Katana too! And guess what, I always sound the same whatever I plug in! :D

So when I tweak my amp, I never have something in plan, I go with the moment and usually it takes me just a few second to get something I like and once I'm done, I simply start to rock!

So all that babbling above just to say, I was not looking to mimic anything and I simply got something that made me smile. It's been over 2.5 years with the Katana and for the price, it still makes me happy, I really wish I had such an amp when I started out. We live in great times!

73171, jens5, beagle and 3 others like this.
  2. BenoA

BenoA Member

Thanks, your comment is very appreciated!

+NRG and ShredSquatch like this.
  3. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

I took a crack at the EvH brown soumd from the early records.
    Check it out, free download in the video description!

Let me hear what you think!

4. +NRG

+NRG Member

Thank you! I’ll have to check this patch out when I get back from vacation...

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Glad to see that even bi-ped creatures that are rarely seen in the wild are also enjoying the Katana :D

ShredSquatch and +NRG like this.
  6. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

You're not alone. I got the Kat 50 when they first came out. I don't think it sounds even remotely tube-like. The problem is so many people say that it's a great amp that you start to doubt your own judgement. I had the same thing with a Blues Cube Artist - hated it. A couple of months ago I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15. Great amp. Playing it side by side with the Katana the differences are staggeringly obvious. If you're not hearing it you never will. Time for a different amp.

DeadLazy likes this.
  7. Byknfool

Byknfool Supporting Member

Where’s the best place to find patches? I’m looking for a good vox patch for a katana 100.

Thanks

Pidgin English likes this.
  8. BenoA

BenoA Member

Byknfool and Pidgin English like this.
  9. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

BenoA gave some great links. The Guitarpatches.com website has some great ones. Our good TGP’r @DutchGuitarDude just did an awesome Van Halen patch. I downloaded it and am planning to use it for the rock gig the band has in 2 weeks.

BenoA and DutchGuitarDude like this.
  10. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I gigged last night with the Katana 50 at 1/2 watt mode mic'd. Ran it through the acoustic channel using a pedalboard consisting of a ZOOM MS50 for reverb, slapback delay and dotted 8th delay, Yamaha EQ for solo boosts, JHS Angry Charlie, Boss Blues Drive always on for a nice, Hendrix Style clean/crunch, Boss SD1 for solo boosts and regular ol' Vox Wah. Sounded really good last night. Amp was on a stand pointed at my head so I could hear without any trouble. And I LOVE the controlled, Pete-Townshend-Style-Feedback I was getting.

+NRG likes this.
  11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I'm having the same problem, got the Katana 50 watt a few days ago and it has some grating frequencies going on. I was able to fix some of it with the global EQ but it doesn't sound at all like a good tube amp, still has that SS feel and tone. Not sure I'm going to keep it. I hate having to spend time tweaking parameters on the computer to get it to sound right.

12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

That's pretty much where I got to with my Artist: It's makes a good, if large, living room amp, but that's as far as it's going to travel.

DonaldDemon likes this.
  13. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Supporting Member

Sold. Done with Katana.

Bought a Two Rock.

14. sidk47

sidk47 Member

Hey guys,

I would like to delve into more of the hacking side of the Katana. IIRC, some guy was able to wirelessly control his Katana with an iPad app using a Raspberry Pi B 3+.

I would like to do the same.

Can someone share some links into how I would go about doing this?

Do I have to learn python? I know a little C, C plus plus and Java, and would really love to get my feet wet with embedded programming.

At the least, I would like to replicate what the guy did with his iPad.

Some links in this regard would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

15. gumtown

gumtown Member

Right here
    https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25274.0

16. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, Hated the overpriced Blues Cube Artist as well. Worst amp I think I've ever played through. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Barquentine likes this.
  17. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Bought a katana head in addition to my combo...
    The head with a 2x12 cab is another level.
    I made this phone recording...

BenoA likes this.
  18. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've just finished trying it out and it sure is better than the one I was using before which I believe is called Eruption or something. I compared them back to back and the first thing I noticed is the other is a lot noisier and messy sounding. Yours is a much cleaner sound, I can hear each note more distinctly.
    Thanks for the download, I'll be using yours from now on.

19. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes, I'm stoked to try this at the gig next Friday. I have one patch without the treble boost on and another patch with it on for solos. I really like the sound of the delay in front of the amp as well. That nice "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" echo.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.