BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, Hated the overpriced Blues Cube Artist as well. Worst amp I think I've ever played through. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Barquentine likes this.
  2. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Bought a katana head in addition to my combo...
    The head with a 2x12 cab is another level.
    I made this phone recording...

BenoA likes this.
  3. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've just finished trying it out and it sure is better than the one I was using before which I believe is called Eruption or something. I compared them back to back and the first thing I noticed is the other is a lot noisier and messy sounding. Yours is a much cleaner sound, I can hear each note more distinctly.
    Thanks for the download, I'll be using yours from now on.

4. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes, I'm stoked to try this at the gig next Friday. I have one patch without the treble boost on and another patch with it on for solos. I really like the sound of the delay in front of the amp as well. That nice "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" echo.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  5. Katanabob

Katanabob Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the Katana has a built-in harmonizer, that means it can recognize pitches, and so wouldn't that mean it has a built-in tuner? If it can harmonize thirds in C, it must know if I'm playing an E or an F so it can harmonize the correct third, minor or major. So if it can tell an E from an F, shouldn't it also be able to "know" if the notes are exactly in tune? If so, would it be at all possible, at least theoretically, to get a usable tuner function out of it?

6. gumtown

gumtown Member

How would you engage the tuner, and how would it display which note?

beagle likes this.
  7. Katanabob

Katanabob Member

I don't know anything about the technicalities of such a thing, I was just thinking that somewhere in its brain it must know what a C should sound like.
    I suppose the tuner could be an effect like any other and engaged that way.
    As for display, there are obviously severe limitations here. But it could still work if it's treated as something to be used for fine-tuning. What I mean is, it would be up to the user to get reasonably close to proper tuning, but if a string sounds a little off, then the amp could tell you (maybe by some combination of the blinking lights available) whether the closest note is "in" our "out".
    The most important element in any tuning device is the ability to take in a signal and recognize its pitch against a standard, and it seems to me that the Katana must have this capability. I have no idea what would be involved in the implementation, but theoretically it should be doable, shouldn't it?

8. gumtown

gumtown Member

Theoretically possible since it is originally built off the GT-100, and would have the capability in the firmware.
    I am surprised they didn't build that into the Tone Studio, to display tuning over USB.

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i picked up a used katana head with cover for $275 and was stoked. and side by side with some hammers (see below) it still sounds and feels great-super lightweight and playable at very low volume) so i'm happy with it.

10. slash-ed

slash-ed Member

11. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I hadn't been playing my Katana in months (I favour my GT-1000 through powered speaker). But my son has been using it a bit and wanted to know how to get some decent tones out of it. I had found that clean tones were fine, but I couldn't get a satisfactory high gain setting.

I had previously been using a MS1959 I+II sneaky amp. It sounded a bit fizzy though, so I figured I could get the Brown channel to do the work. I had given up on it before because it lacked bottom end thump. I fixed that with bit of para EQ - low gain bump, a little trim at 500 Hz, and a high gain bump to add some top end. Gain set to 40. Couple that with a Tube Screamer boost set to as low a gain as possible - job done. That's my default high gain setting now - and gain can be added or subtracted to taste. Job done.

My GT-1000 is still preferable, but I've given the Katana a new life.

Pidgin English likes this.
  12. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

13. DGA

DGA Member

I recently broke out my Katana 100 112. I forgot how great this thing sounds! For reference, I had been playing my Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 while the Katana was riding the bench.

TheMinion, +NRG and Elantric like this.
  14. BenoA

BenoA Member

New Katana MkII released

LCW, jds22, Rocketpilot and 2 others like this.
  15. Bob_E

Bob_E Member

What's the foot switch situation for the new ones?

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

TAP and FX have been moved to an external footswitch that you will need to buy and hook up to the GA-FC.

As the amp can have 5 different FX at the same time (Booster+MOD+FX+Delay+Reverb) these are the new buttons scheme on the foot controller, so this is why you have stickers in the box.

Bob_E likes this.
  17. jds22

jds22 Member

Interesting info on the new MKII.

The Stereo Expand (slave-master) seems pretty cool.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  18. Rocketpilot

Rocketpilot Member

The stacked knobs on the FX section would be worth the bother of upgrading alone. Damn.

Bob_E likes this.
  19. BenoA

BenoA Member

If you use FxFloorboard you already have access to the 5 FX and even more. For me, I don't use much the top panel except for some basic EQ, gain or volume so it's not that much interesting.

Elantric likes this.
  20. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Apparently still Mono only audio from Headphone output on Katana MK2 50 watt

So not replacing my practice amps which do support monitoring Stereo USB via Headphone Jack

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    BenoA likes this.