BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Bob_E

Man, I was just looking around at some online retailers. I guess Boss had to do something to justify raising their prices. Looks like a 100w 1x12 Katana (MKI) and GA-FC cost $100 more than I paid a couple years ago, and they've just added that second foot switch into the (MKII) rig...

Rocketpilot

If you use FxFloorboard you already have access to the 5 FX and even more. For me, I don't use much the top panel except for some basic EQ, gain or volume so it's not that much interesting.
To be honest as a professional user interface designer I'd rather use a professionally designed interface than the FxFloorboard! You really can't beat real knobs.

+NRG

The new feature that interests me the most on the MKII is the power amp input. I assume it bypasses the converters, etc... I wonder if this makes a big difference over using the FX return for external preamps?

I sometimes use the Katana MKI FX return (loop set after the reverb in BTS) with a DigiTech RP360XP and it sounds great to me. No complaints. I have everything turned off on one patch in the Katana except for the extra EQ IN BTS for Low Cut / High Cut filters.

I used to own a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 for this purpose...

JT986M2

I've been trying for 1 year to like my Katana artists and I am not able to get it to sound good. The low and high end frequencies are just fine but the mids seems completely sterile, almost like there is an empty pocket with artificial sounding frequencies in the mids. I have tried a few times to use the EQ in tone studio but struggle to add in a natural sounding mid range. The mid knob on the amp is centered on a very strange frequency, too high-mid for my tone. The crunch channel sounds so strange to my ears, very different from a crunchy Marshall. Could it be that this amp is not playing well with the Fat 50's pickups in my Strat? I see a lot of praise for this amp online but I just don't hear it when I take this amp to practice and gigs.

The other thing is that the problem I have with the mids I also hear in my Fender mustang IV and I hear it in a lot of digital amp demo videos, like the new tonemaster series. Certainly if all digital had this problem in the mid-range others would hear it as well...??? BUT many people seem to love the Katana amps and say they sound the closest to tubes of any digital amp they have heard.
Try adjusting the Global EQ first. I use these settings that I copied from another thread on TGP and it made a really nice difference:

Low gain: -1
Low-mid gain: 4
High-mid gain: -2
High gain: 1
Level: 0
Low-mid freq: 500 Hz
Low-mid Q: 1
High-mid freq: 6.30 kHz
High-mid Q: 1

Then change the cabinet response to Vintage to get a less 'in your face' tone.

Once you have adjusted the Global EQ, revisit each of your patches and see if that helps. If it's still not quite there, then use the GE-10 EQ on each patch to tweak further. If you don't like the EQ flat, then try 1k set to 1, 2k set to 0.5, 8k & 16k set to -0.5 and possibly the level to -0.5 as well.

LaceSensor1

Supporting Member
Try adjusting the Global EQ first. I use these settings that I copied from another thread on TGP and it made a really nice difference:

Low gain: -1
Low-mid gain: 4
High-mid gain: -2
High gain: 1
Level: 0
Low-mid freq: 500 Hz
Low-mid Q: 1
High-mid freq: 6.30 kHz
High-mid Q: 1

Then change the cabinet response to Vintage to get a less 'in your face' tone.

Once you have adjusted the Global EQ, revisit each of your patches and see if that helps. If it's still not quite there, then use the GE-10 EQ on each patch to tweak further. If you don't like the EQ flat, then try 1k set to 1, 2k set to 0.5, 8k & 16k set to -0.5 and possibly the level to -0.5 as well.
Sold it and bought a two rock.

NatGardner

The MKII looks like a nice upgrade but I’ll be staying with my original version of the Katana 100...
I agree. I hope CL has a ton of Katanas for sale very cheap now. I have the 50 for small places, but will scoop up a 100 when other people upgrade and sell off. I set mine up w 2 channels. One for blues gain and one 70's crunch gain / solo's with a twist up of the guitar volume. The panel is set for Brown channel. Simple latching foot switch and I am set all night. No pedal tap dance, no pedal board, set up in 30 seconds and no one in the club but me knows that it isn't as good as my cranked tube amp.

DonaldDemon

I'm wondering if I should return the 50 I got and upgrade to the new one, though the lack of effects loop really sucks. I got the 50 used but only $30 less than new so I don't mind paying a bit more if they are they same price still. I'm slowly warning up to mine but it needs a lot of tweaking in the editor to sounds good to me. I still can't get it to sound good at loud volumes, just harsh.

mdrake34

You're not alone. I got the Kat 50 when they first came out. I don't think it sounds even remotely tube-like. The problem is so many people say that it's a great amp that you start to doubt your own judgement. I had the same thing with a Blues Cube Artist - hated it. A couple of months ago I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15. Great amp. Playing it side by side with the Katana the differences are staggeringly obvious. If you're not hearing it you never will. Time for a different amp.
Yeah, Hated the overpriced Blues Cube Artist as well. Worst amp I think I've ever played through. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Hated the blues cube artist also. Had a Hot first, it sounded much better than the blues jr I sold for it, but was convinced by reading here the artist would be much better. Couldn’t have been more wrong.

I’ve owned Kat 100’s twice, and next to the used Bassbreaker 15 I got there was no contest. BB just sounded so much bigger and livelier at the same (very low) volumes.

I now have a limited edition BB 15 with a Celestion Greenback, it’s my desert island amp. I did miss a more traditional Fender cleanish tone so I just ordered a used blues cube hot from GC, will be here this week.

Wgsig

The new feature that interests me the most on the MKII is the power amp input. I assume it bypasses the converters, etc... I wonder if this makes a big difference over using the FX return for external preamps?

I sometimes use the Katana MKI FX return (loop set after the reverb in BTS) with a DigiTech RP360XP and it sounds great to me. No complaints. I have everything turned off on one patch in the Katana except for the extra EQ IN BTS for Low Cut / High Cut filters.

I used to own a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 for this purpose...
I’ve only spent a couple hours so far, the the preamp in on the K50 MkII sounds better than the loop return on the K100. None of the documentation says so, but I wonder if the preamp in bypasses the Tube Logic. Otherwise it seems like it’d simply be a loop return that bypasses the Katana effects block.

BenoA

I’ve only spent a couple hours so far, the the preamp in on the K50 MkII sounds better than the loop return on the K100. None of the documentation says so, but I wonder if the preamp in bypasses the Tube Logic. Otherwise it seems like it’d simply be a loop return that bypasses the Katana effects block.
I did some quick tests with my MkII 100w combo using my old GT8 multi FX and could not much see a difference between the "preamp in" and setting up your FX loop in BTS to "post reverb", this is super important as it sets your FX loop return to the far end of the chain. Only a slight volume drop when I plugged in the "preamp" in but except that, it sounded very close. I could deaf too.

+NRG

I was hoping the difference between using the Katana’s ‘FX Loop Return’ vs the new ‘Power Amp In’ was minimal...

Thank you for testing and posting your thoughts!

BenoA

I was hoping the difference between using the Katana’s ‘FX Loop Return’ vs the new ‘Power Amp In’ was minimal...

Thank you for testing and posting your thoughts!
This is after minimal testing and I will continue investigating. I may be wrong but I feel they added this "poweramp in" feature to give a super quick access to "fx loop return+post reverb" without having you to go in BTS. As it looks like there is a switch or similar device in the poweramp in input as the new BTS software detects it when you plug something in it. All lights on the amp turns to "off", only the panel green one stays on and also the software shows you in the screen "THE POWER AMP IN JACK IS BEING USED" and the software won't let you do anything.

Last edited:

Blix

Supporting Member
There is no "preamp in", it's "power amp in" and it's placed post effects. If you want to use the effects, use the fx return.

Trending Topics