BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. 74princeton

74princeton Member

Of course the 100 has more features. $359 vs $229 in the US. Its also 10 lbs. heavier.
    I love my 50 but I use it as a backup for my Princeton and for jams or rehearsals. If I was limiting to one amp I'd go for the 100 for the features mentioned, non-muted line out and GA-FC usage, but I still would be happy using the 50 for everything, if budget or weight were issues. I've been told I'm too loud with with 5 and 7 piece bands so I don't worry about its volume capability.
    People like the 100 better when testing side by side in GC, with no band around. But when playing lead with an ensemble the fuller tones they're hearing may not be what's needed.

Peppy, freedom's door and BenoA like this.
  2. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve had my Katana 50 for about 2 weeks now. I bought it for bedroom playing and the one thing I don’t like is the volume difference when moving off the clean amp setting. I’m using it on the .2 watt setting and it’s fine on the clean channel, but when I switch to the brown channel, my favorite, it’s significantly louder, almost too loud for my needs. Is this normal?

3. BenoA

BenoA Member

@Oriondk Use the "Channel" volume to level out in between your settings and then the "Master" volume for the overall sound level of the amp. Mine can go from super quiet to quite loud at the twist of the master volume.

Oriondk and beagle like this.
  4. Howlin1

Howlin1 Member

Another option is to add a flat EQ to the clean or brown channel in Tone Studio, raise or lower the level on the EQ as needed to equalize volume, then re-save the preset.

milosppf and Oriondk like this.
  5. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

6. Steve-O

Steve-O Supporting Member

I got tired of looking at an all black amp while stuck at home.

[​IMG]

DonaldR, Elantric, Filipe and 11 others like this.
  7. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

I have a Kat100 mkII 112 coming to me this Friday, not in time for practice on Thursday :( but it will be my grab and go for rehearsals and for use with my Helix/HX Stomp at gigs when I want an open back cab on stage whenever they start happening again.

I'll be doing what I do in these megathreads, workin my way backwards, attempting to learn as much as I can, looking for key things like:

Using as a Poweramp/Cab with Helix
    EQing the speaker when used as a Poweramp/Cab
    Stereo Expand with a non-katana amp
    Speaker Sensitivity Ratings, EQ curve readings, impulse response captures
    Speaker Break-in
    Maximum SPL
    If anyone wants to point me to any of this information before I can dig it up, please do so:beer
    In the meantime, expect some necro-likes on some of your old posts. :wave

8. goosefartfan

goosefartfan Member

Looks, great, you did a great job!
    Now cover it with blonde tweed tolex to blow minds :crazy

Steve-O likes this.
  9. BenoA

BenoA Member

2 easy thing to test. for 1) make sure you set the cab sim to off in the Helix has the Katana has guitar voiced speaker, not a FRFR. Run it straight into the power amp input in the back.
    Power amp input comparison with digital preamp

Stereo, set your "other amp" as I did for the MkI in this video
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

milosppf and Alex Kenivel like this.
  10. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

I’ve got an Artist Mk 1. I’ve put it into slave mode for use with a modeler (hold Ch 3 and 4 at power-up) but I don’t know how to get it out of slave mode. I ended up doing a reset to get it back to normal. Anyone know how to switch it out of slave mode?

11. BenoA

BenoA Member

12. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Katana 100 mkII arrived yesterday and it has been a blast! Helix into Katana, Katana into Helix, so much signal swapping and the ONLY annoying noise is from a USB ground loop which I can mostly live with. It vastly outshines my Creamback 65 loaded Fender Frontman 65r in tone, volume, and of course versatility.

I've run into one small issue with Katana Floorboard Mk2's Custom sneaky amp. When selected, the Katana passes through completely zero sound.

13. ledvedder

ledvedder Member

Hi everyone! Yesterday was my first rehearsal with my Boss Katana 100 combo. I had dialed it in at home, cutting back on the high end frequencies, knowing how things react at higher volumes, in full band situations. I didn't go too high on the gain with any of my patches. Never more than 50. Presence at 40 or below. Parametric eq at the end of every patch chain, cutting below 80hz and above 8K. Channel volume on each patch at about 40, master volume roughly between 10 and 12 o'clock throughout the rehearsal.

It just sounded thin to me. No oomph. Any ideas on where I may have gone wrong?

14. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Stolen from @Elantric from the vguitar forums:

"Katana Live Gig Settings

Crank up the MASTER ( on the far right ) to 2:00 o clock - 3:00 o clock = 3/4 up. and find the POWER CONTROL wattage Setting that works best for the room.

I use a Katana 100-112 , but only use the 100 watt Power mode when i want clean Dick Dale surf music tones.

i typically use the 50 watt mode for Blues / Rock gigs

Now move over to the left
    Adjust the GAIN to set the Distortion you desire, adjust the VOLUME to taste.
    if you want less Distortion - Lower the gain below 9:00 o clock ,adjust the VOLUME to taste. - even on Max full up if you need it to be louder . If your clean tone is still not loud enough, go back to the right and raise the MASTER or raise the POWER CONTROL setting to higher watts until your clean sound works for the room and your band situation - do that first before proceeding !

if you want more Distortion, raise the GAIN, adjust the VOLUME to taste.

I treat the VOLUME knob ( on the left) to set the current Amp level, and I assign a different VOLUME setting for Rhythm vs the VOLUME for my LEAD SOLO tones

By contrast
    If I want the worst Katana experience with lots of buzz and poor tone - on the far right, lower the MASTER to 8:00 o' clock ( less than a 1/3rd way up ) and crank the Gain and Volume ( both on the left ) to the max

in the EQUALIZER - dont be afraid to try Bass / Middle / Treble settings that appear completely alien from a genuine tube amp tone stack on a Fender / Marshall

You just might find "your sound" when all three are set to "2" ( like 8:00 o clock )

The point is Experiment with different Amp types and EQUALIZER settings - but I find the best Katana tones DO NOT occur when all knobs on the left are maxed out on "11".

The good news is many guitarists today are baffled and resell their Katana after a week , - I picked up mine gently used at deep discount because the prior owner didnt read this thread. There is profit in confusion"

idk if that helps but there's a goldmine of info over there: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19581.0

More developments: The Katana Librarian App for Android doesn't list the Custom amp on its' list. Perhaps it is no more?

ledvedder and Elantric like this.
  15. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Circling back to this, since I just compared the Effects Return and Poweramp Input with my Helix to verify what I was hearing in your video. The signal through the Return seemed more saturated whereas the Poweramp Input was clearer.

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

Does your return level is set higher than 50?

17. Jim234

Jim234 Member

You seem to be doing the right things. Biggest mistake I made was deep diving into the software too early. My parches at first rehearsal were terrible simply did not work. Once I had gone back to basics i.e. using the EQ only on the amp itself I was able to dial in the typical clean to insane spread of sounds quite easily across the slots. I use the software for fx adjustment and fine tunning only.

LucianoLMS likes this.
  18. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Nope

19. ledvedder

ledvedder Member

I have the Katana 100, along with the GA-FC foot controller and an expression pedal. Can someone explain how I can use the expression pedal as a wah?

20. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I seem to have strayed too far on my Katana and now can't seem to get a sound I like. Can anyone recommend settings for a hot-rodded Marshall tone that also sounds good when the guitar volume is lowered? If possible, please include the global eq settings.

(This is for an Artist mk1)

neilr11 likes this.