BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

gumtown

Thank you. I'm on windows 7,8,10 on three different computers. I'll check into this and hope I can get it working with my Katana.
Are there directions on how to use the floorboardfx and get the sneaky amps on my Katana mkii?
I don't want to screw things up and as of right now I have no idea how to do it?
Thanks
FxFloorBoard has a built in help menu for quick setup, and the "F1" key can be pressed and then point & click your mouse cursor on any function you want info/help on.
It is quite easy to use once you have a play with it.
The sneaky amps are built into the editor in the preamp selection list, all you do is select the amp type required, tweak the settings to your liking,
then either save as a patch file, or save to a selected Katana channel by pressing the Write button in the editor (or press and hold any channel button directly on the amp).

lschwart

I just downloaded the latest version of fxfloorboard for Mac, and I can't seem to get the program to communicate properly with my Katana 100 MK2. It installed just fine and it recognizes the Katana, but it won't actually read and load my user patches so I can edit them. This is true on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro. I have the Katana driver installed on both, and I've been using Tone Studio with the amp with no problems for months. Does anyone know what am I missing?

Thanks!
Louis

goosefartfan

If you try the latest version of FxFloorBoard (updated last week) you will find it should get your Katana working with it on Linux.
Boss equipment USB midi driver is built into the Linux Kernel.
thanks so much for the tip!
I wanted to keep the Katana v2 firmware on by mk1 head....can I get the most recent version of FxFloorboard and use it with v2?

gumtown

thanks so much for the tip!
I wanted to keep the Katana v2 firmware on by mk1 head....can I get the most recent version of FxFloorboard and use it with v2?
There is an Archive folder with previous incarnations for all firmware levels.
here is the MK1 Firmware 2 version for Linux

from this Archive folder

jtees4

I'm a Win10 guy, I also can't get the Fxfloorboard to work with my Katana 50miii. I downloaded the latest software version, which supposedly works for miii but it will not recognize the amp. Sometimes it DOES say it is connected, but still will not do anything as far as changing anything on the amp its;ef. It's not a big deal, I'm fine with only Tone Studio...but at the same time, I HATE when things don't work. I'm OCD like that;)
By the way, I love the Katana so far, really surprisingly great sounding, I was not expecting that.

milosppf

Are there directions on how to use the floorboardfx and get the sneaky amps on my Katana mkii?
I don't want to screw things up and as of right now I have no idea how to do it?
Thanks
You can find the links here, they are the same as any other Katana patches. Just download them and import them into the Boss Tone Studio. In your upper right corner click on the arrow pointing down, select 'file' and click on the downloaded files.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

wrees

Whats the official verdict on cranking the channel volume vs keeping master cranked? I have the first 100w 112. Some are saying to keep master cranked and adjust with channel volume and some say other way around.
BTW, I updated some of the information in my first reply. Further testing showed I got some things wrong initially. Scientific method FTW! Further edit: In fact, I just went back and deleted the whole thing! I'll revise and post again.

Given my findings so far, my current theory is that the Katanas were designed to be used like this: COSM amp models make the *sound* of the original/BOSS-created amps at different stages of being driven (i.e. the characteristic distortion/clipping of their preamp and power amp sections), and the Katana's physical analog power amp makes the *feel* of a tube amp's power section at different stages of being driven. The two working together attempt to replicate the whole experience of playing the original/BOSS amp: sound and feel.

Recently saw this video with a good demonstration of the power amp *feel* I'm talking about (most relevant stuff is from 3:04-5:15):

One potential approach to setting the knobs when following what I think is the Katana's regular, intended usage:

1. Set up your presets using the Gain and tone controls to get as close to the sound you want and set all their Volumes to 100.
2. At whichever Power Control level you want, set Master to 3:00 (~75%).
3. Switching between presets, figure out which is your quietest one.
4. Take your quietest preset, apply any solo boost you might add to it and play. If it seems like too much power amp saturation (i.e. the feel starts to feel too saggy), turn down the Volume until it sounds and feels the way you want it to.
5. Staying on that quietest preset, turn off any solo boost you may have just tested. Play again to test if the non-boosted version has *enough* power amp feel for what you want. Use Volume to tweak. If you didn't test a solo boost and feel like you want more power amp feel even with Volume at 100, try adding a clean boost after the COSM amp using the Send/Return trick or inserting an EQ.
6. Go through each of the other, louder presets and set their Volume knob so that their loudness matches the new loudness of the quietest one you just set above. If you inserted a clean boost in the step above, some of these other presets may also need a clean boost to match the loudness.
7. When playing, use Power Control to keep the Master between 12:00 (50%) and all the way (100%) while tweaking stage volume. For instance, if you're on 100W and you find yourself needing to turn the Master to below 50%, instead set Power Control to 50W and then find where *above* 50% Master should be. Of course, you can tweak those numbers to maintain the feel you want.

BTW, it might also be worth experimenting with using Katanas more like a traditional amp (although I think this usage was unintended): with Gain at 0, crank both Volume and Master, add enough clean boost with the Send/Return trick or an EQ after the COSM amp to drive the physical power amp into as much saturation as you want, then increase the Gain knob if you want some additional COSM amp distortion in the front of the signal chain. Like a tube amp: 1. doing this is very loud, 2. the tone knobs can be used to further drive and color the power amp saturation, and 3. it's easy to get wildly out-of-control and conventionally unmusical sounds. Also this is only relevant through the amp's speaker - Phones/Rec Out is before the power amp, so you won't actually hear its effect.

Last edited:

+NRG

BTW, I updated some of the information in my first reply. Further testing showed I got some things wrong initially. Scientific method FTW!

Given my findings so far, my current theory is that the Katanas were designed to be used like this: COSM amp models make the *sound* of the original/BOSS-created amps at different stages of being driven (i.e. the characteristic distortion/clipping of their preamp and power amp sections), and the Katana's physical analog power amp makes the *feel* of a tube amp's power section at different stages of being driven. The two working together attempt to replicate the whole experience of playing the original/BOSS amp: sound and feel.

Recently saw this video with a good demonstration of the power amp *feel* I'm talking about (most relevant stuff is from 3:04-5:15):

One potential approach to setting the knobs when following what I think is the Katana's regular, intended usage:

1. Set up your presets using the Gain and tone controls to get as close to the sound you want and set all their Volumes to 100.
2. At whichever Power Control level you want, set Master to 3:00 (~75%).
3. Switching between presets, figure out which is your quietest one.
4. Take your quietest preset, apply any solo boost you might add to it and play. If it seems like too much power amp saturation (i.e. the feel starts to feel too saggy), turn down the Volume until it sounds and feels the way you want it to.
5. Staying on that quietest preset, turn off any solo boost you may have just tested. Play again to test if the non-boosted version has *enough* power amp feel for what you want. Use Volume to tweak. If you didn't test a solo boost and feel like you want more power amp feel even with Volume at 100, try adding a clean boost after the COSM amp using the Send/Return trick or inserting an EQ.
6. Go through each of the other, louder presets and set their Volume knob so that their loudness matches the new loudness of the quietest one you just set above. If you inserted a clean boost in the step above, some of these other presets may also need a clean boost to match the loudness.
7. When playing, use Power Control to keep the Master between 12:00 (50%) and all the way (100%) while tweaking stage volume. For instance, if you're on 100W and you find yourself needing to turn the Master to below 50%, instead set Power Control to 50W and then find where *above* 50% Master should be. Of course, you can tweak those numbers to maintain the feel you want.

BTW, it might also be worth experimenting with using Katanas more like a traditional amp (although I think this usage was unintended): with Gain at 0, crank both Volume and Master, add enough clean boost with the Send/Return trick or an EQ after the COSM amp to drive the physical power amp into as much saturation as you want, then increase the Gain knob if you want some additional COSM amp distortion in the front of the signal chain. Like a tube amp: 1. doing this is very loud, 2. the tone knobs can be used to further drive and color the power amp saturation, and 3. it's easy to get wildly out-of-control and conventionally unmusical sounds. Also Phones/Rec Out will need additional speaker emulation/low-pass filtering.
Wow, that’s a lot of detailed experimentation and writing in those 2 posts B) Thank you for your efforts! Much of which I’ve been wondering about myself...

My small music room can only handle the 0.5 watt at low volume settings (and it’s still pretty loud). I haven’t (yet) been able to turn up enough to experience what the Katana’s physical power amp brings to the equation.

I love the clean sounds and many of the effects but the dirty sounds leave a lot to be desired for me personally...

*In your opinion, does pushing the Katana’s physical power amp improve the dirty sound or just improve the feel? I know that tube power amps do both in my experience but I’m a bit skeptical of pushing a solid state power amp to improve the tone...

jalmer

Wow, that’s a lot of detailed experimentation and writing in those 2 posts B) Thank you for your efforts! Much of which I’ve been wondering about myself...

My small music room can only handle the 0.5 watt at low volume settings (and it’s still pretty loud). I haven’t (yet) been able to turn up enough to experience what the Katana’s physical power amp brings to the equation.

I love the clean sounds and many of the effects but the dirty sounds leave a lot to be desired for me personally...

*In your opinion, does pushing the Katana’s physical power amp improve the dirty sound or just improve the feel? I know that tube power amps do both in my experience but I’m a bit skeptical of pushing a solid state power amp to improve the tone...
Yes, I find, for the patches I mostly use, going from .5 to 50 improves the tone. However, what's happening is headroom increases. Really what I need to do is purge and reinstall some patches and re - eq for .5 because gain settings got out of whack. However, I do feel 50 watt will give less digital feel/sound. Fuzz works better for example. I think clean, cleans sound better at higher settings, too. I'd be best served by using the 50 watt setting with the guitar volume turned down to about half or so and EQ-ing to to that. But it's still pretty freaking loud. imo.

+NRG

Yes, I find, for the patches I mostly use, going from .5 to 50 improves the tone. However, what's happening is headroom increases. Really what I need to do is purge and reinstall some patches and re - eq for .5 because gain settings got out of whack. However, I do feel 50 watt will give less digital feel/sound. Fuzz works better for example. I think clean, cleans sound better at higher settings, too. I'd be best served by using the 50 watt setting with the guitar volume turned down to about half or so and EQ-ing to to that. But it's still pretty freaking loud. imo.
Thanks for sharing your insight / experiences!

roundsound

How do I make the Loader patches footswitchable with my fcb1010? It switches between the Katana patches as expected but won't switch the patches in the Loader. The 1010 sends PC messages like it should.
Thanks for the help. I've been digging through the internet all day and can't find the answer.

wrees

TL;DR: I'm only testing Line Out right now, so this might not apply to using the speaker. When using Line Out, the only power amp sound and feel you get is coming from the COSM amp model. Driving the COSM amp model's modeled power amp is done with the Gain knob. When using Line Out, Volume only changes the level of the signal with no change of sound or feel. Gain below 40 is lifeless and flat. Gain above 40 (varies by amp model) starts to feel like a real amp - fun to play! Gains above 60 can get crazy, *usually* good, power amp saturation. Gains above 100 (see below!) are super fun lead tones. Setup approach for using Line Out with no Tone Studio (see Tone Studio version at the end below):

1. Volume at 2:30 (to leave room to raise as make up level if you ever lower the Gain from your starting point from 4 below.)
2. Tone knobs at 12:00 for built-in amps, various settings for Sneaky amps depending on the original model's design.
3. Starting from 9:00, raise Gain until you start to hear some power amp saturation and can make big changes in the sound by picking harder or softer. That's your Gain baseline - don't go lower than that for that amp model.
4. Raise the Gain to where you *really* want it :) and play! Usually around 50. Good job, BOSS!
5. With Volume at 2:30, save. If you lower the Gain from your starting setting, use Volume to bring back some level.
6. Solo level (if you have that) set to 25.

Long version:

Unfortunately, being at home makes it hard to really test using the speaker (and therefore the effect of the power amp that you're asking about). I could probably sneak in a totally loud test and use the Palmer DI to record some of the signal actually going out to the speaker to listen back to and compare, but I haven't had a good chance to do that yet. I was wrong in my previous post about getting anything from the power amp through Phones/Rec Out. The power amp only goes to the speaker out, which makes it hard to test.

However, since I'm currently focused on getting as good as possible direct sound, I did learn some stuff about getting good power amp sound and feel using just the COSM amp models that you might find interesting. The video in my previous post was really useful: it gave me a better conscious understanding of responsiveness that before was just an unconscious impression of feel. Using those ideas, my goal was to try to get as much of that responsiveness out of just the COSM amp models.

With Line Out going into my interface, I used the interface's headphone volume to try to keep the volume peaks around the same level while trying out a bunch of different settings combinations to try to not have overall volume color my impressions.

Every amp that I tried (both build-in and Sneaky) did, more or less, the following:

At Gain set to 0, there was still signal with the base sound of the amp being modeled, including the sound and behavior of the tone controls of the original amp. As I went from Clean to Crunch to Lead to Brown, however, I got an increasing amount of a baseline of what sounded like preamp distortion, even with Gain at 0. It seems like the COSM amp models of higher gain amps have a baked-in amount of preamp distortion like having a diode in the preamp section or having a preamp gain knob already set to a certain level. Fun for further testing!

At Gain from 0 to around 40, it just felt lifeless - picking harder didn't really get you anything. It just felt flat. Even if I cranked Volume all the way and added a bunch of make-up EQ clean boost, it still felt flat. Loud, but lifeless. Again, this is for direct only - it's only circumstantial evidence for the Volume knob's role when playing through the power amp and speaker. Driving the physical power amp hard with Gain set low might sound and feel great - I don't know right now.

At Gain approaching 50 on most amp models, the feel totally changed - could clean up a little by picking softly, digging in really got the drive for that amp going. Felt great. Fun to play. Notably, turning the Volume knob down and making up the volume with either an EQ or the interface's headphone volume made no difference. For direct, I'm pretty confident the Volume is just a level increase after the COSM model.

At Gain around 65 and higher, most amps had significant to pretty wild modeled power amp saturation. The feel got a little squishier but in a realistic way. It stayed fun to play. Again, the Volume knob only changed the level when going direct.

Side note on tone controls: on some of the amp models the tone controls seem to be entirely after all the COSM amp model's saturation, and on other models the tone controls could drive the COSM amp model into more or less saturation. Seems to be dependent on the amp model.

Just for fun I left the Gain at 100 and inserted an EQ at Amp Input for some additional clean boost with the EQ's Level dial. I really liked the sound and feel of slamming the COSM amps like this: thick, singing, organic feeling lead tone. I wanted front panel access to that! Since the lifeless Gain settings between 0 and 40 were useless to me, I figured: why have them at all? :) If I enable the EQ clean boost at Amp Input on my presets, setting Gain to 0 would be like having it already at 40. So basically my Gain knob now goes from 40 (at 0) to 140 (at 100). 11? This one goes to 140. Cool!

Other than the Gain knob, the tone controls on some amp models, and any clean boost before the COSM amp model, nothing else seemed to change the overall amount of saturation or the feel.

My current Direct settings (could change at any time!):

Line Out

EQ1 set to Amp Input, Level set to ~+10dB depending on the amp model (to make Gain at 0 more like Gain at 40)

Gain saved at ~20 (equivalent to ~50) which is right around where hard picking dynamics start to peak out (amp models differ)

Volume 75 (so if I do turn the Gain down a bit I can make up some volume)

Tone Controls: Amp model dependent

(Perhaps optional) EQ2 set to Amp Output, Level set to ~+8dB depending on the amp model, for a more robust signal to my interface.

Solo Level set to 25 for a good amount when I turn Solo on.

Last edited:

gumtown

How do I make the Loader patches footswitchable with my fcb1010? It switches between the Katana patches as expected but won't switch the patches in the Loader. The 1010 sends PC messages like it should.
Thanks for the help. I've been digging through the internet all day and can't find the answer.
FxFloorBoard for the Katana MK1 and MK2 has been updated just today, so if you download version 20201007 (7th October 2020),
the Patch Loader midi patch change function should see some improvement.

download the latest FxFloorBoard for Katana from here:

+NRG

TL;DR: I'm only testing Line Out right now, so this might not apply to using the speaker. When using Line Out, the only power amp sound and feel you get is coming from the COSM amp model. Driving the COSM amp model's modeled power amp is done with the Gain knob. When using Line Out, Volume only changes the level of the signal with no change of sound or feel. Gain below 40 is lifeless and flat. Gain above 40 (varies by amp model) starts to feel like a real amp - fun to play! Gains above 60 can get crazy, *usually* good, power amp saturation. Gains above 100 (see below!) are super fun lead tones. Setup approach for using Line Out with no Tone Studio (see Tone Studio version at the end below):

1. Volume at 2:30 (to leave room to raise as make up level if you ever lower the Gain from your starting point from 4 below.)
2. Tone knobs at 12:00 for built-in amps, various settings for Sneaky amps depending on the original model's design.
3. Starting from 9:00, raise Gain until you start to hear some power amp saturation and can make big changes in the sound by picking harder or softer. That's your Gain baseline - don't go lower than that for that amp model.
4. Raise the Gain to where you *really* want it :) and play! Usually around 50. Good job, BOSS!
5. With Volume at 2:30, save. If you lower the Gain from your starting setting, use Volume to bring back some level.
6. Solo level (if you have that) set to 25.

Long version:

Unfortunately, being at home makes it hard to really test using the speaker (and therefore the effect of the power amp that you're asking about). I could probably sneak in a totally loud test and use the Palmer DI to record some of the signal actually going out to the speaker to listen back to and compare, but I haven't had a good chance to do that yet. I was wrong in my previous post about getting anything from the power amp through Phones/Rec Out. The power amp only goes to the speaker out, which makes it hard to test.

However, since I'm currently focused on getting as good as possible direct sound, I did learn some stuff about getting good power amp sound and feel using just the COSM amp models that you might find interesting. The video in my previous post was really useful: it gave me a better conscious understanding of responsiveness that before was just an unconscious impression of feel. Using those ideas, my goal was to try to get as much of that responsiveness out of just the COSM amp models.

With Line Out going into my interface, I used the interface's headphone volume to try to keep the volume peaks around the same level while trying out a bunch of different settings combinations to try to not have overall volume color my impressions.

Every amp that I tried (both build-in and Sneaky) did, more or less, the following:

At Gain set to 0, there was still signal with the base sound of the amp being modeled, including the sound and behavior of the tone controls of the original amp. As I went from Clean to Crunch to Lead to Brown, however, I got an increasing amount of a baseline of what sounded like preamp distortion, even with Gain at 0. It seems like the COSM amp models of higher gain amps have a baked-in amount of preamp distortion like having a diode in the preamp section or having a preamp gain knob already set to a certain level. Fun for further testing!

At Gain from 0 to around 40, it just felt lifeless - picking harder didn't really get you anything. It just felt flat. Even if I cranked Volume all the way and added a bunch of make-up EQ clean boost, it still felt flat. Loud, but lifeless. Again, this is for direct only - it's only circumstantial evidence for the Volume knob's role when playing through the power amp and speaker. Driving the physical power amp hard with Gain set low might sound and feel great - I don't know right now.

At Gain approaching 50 on most amp models, the feel totally changed - could clean up a little by picking softly, digging in really got the drive for that amp going. Felt great. Fun to play. Notably, turning the Volume knob down and making up the volume with either an EQ or the interface's headphone volume made no difference. For direct, I'm pretty confident the Volume is just a level increase after the COSM model.

At Gain around 65 and higher, most amps had significant to pretty wild modeled power amp saturation. The feel got a little squishier but in a realistic way. It stayed fun to play. Again, the Volume knob only changed the level when going direct.

Side note on tone controls: on some of the amp models the tone controls seem to be entirely after all the COSM amp model's saturation, and on other models the tone controls could drive the COSM amp model into more or less saturation. Seems to be dependent on the amp model.

Just for fun I left the Gain at 100 and inserted an EQ at Amp Input for some additional clean boost with the EQ's Level dial. I really liked the sound and feel of slamming the COSM amps like this: thick, singing, organic feeling lead tone. I wanted front panel access to that! Since the lifeless Gain settings between 0 and 40 were useless to me, I figured: why have them at all? :) If I enable the EQ clean boost at Amp Input on my presets, setting Gain to 0 would be like having it already at 40. So basically my Gain knob now goes from 40 (at 0) to 140 (at 100). 11? This one goes to 140. Cool!

Other than the Gain knob, the tone controls on some amp models, and any clean boost before the COSM amp model, nothing else seemed to change the overall amount of saturation or the feel.

My current Direct settings (could change at any time!):

Line Out

EQ1 set to Amp Input, Level set to ~+10dB depending on the amp model (to make Gain at 0 more like Gain at 40)

Gain saved at ~20 (equivalent to ~50) which is right around where hard picking dynamics start to peak out (amp models differ)

Volume 75 (so if I do turn the Gain down a bit I can make up some volume)

Tone Controls: Amp model dependent

(Perhaps optional) EQ2 set to Amp Output, Level set to ~+8dB depending on the amp model, for a more robust signal to my interface.

Solo Level set to 25 for a good amount when I turn Solo on.
Thanks for the long reply! I like the way you think B) Lots of good info...

I’m mainly playing at night using my studio monitors or headphones and software. If I do use the Katana I really can’t turn it up. I need to plan ahead for some time to turn it up loud and do some tweaking...

Good luck with your experiments!

Trending Topics