BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Dave Lemire

Software Update Questions: I'm looking the page for the v1.10 software update for the Katana Mk II series.
  1. Do I correctly understand that all I need is a Windows or Mac computer and a USB cable? No need for the Tone Studio software?
  2. Also, will Katana Librarian recognize the update and the additional booster types it adds?
Thanks.

gumtown

Software Update Questions: I'm looking the page for the v1.10 software update for the Katana Mk II series.
  1. Do I correctly understand that all I need is a Windows or Mac computer and a USB cable? No need for the Tone Studio software?
  2. Also, will Katana Librarian recognize the update and the additional booster types it adds?
Thanks.
You are correct on all counts.

Jim234

I wonder if a used 50 mkii would be a better bet. If it had a halfway decent fenderish clean sound plus crunch, that would be enticing.

The clean variation is much better than standard clean, more lively. I don't get the impression that it's fendery. Have you considered a Mustang. I think fender amps are what it is good at. Boss Nextone?

stien

Good tone is where you find it
Silver Supporting Member
I find the sneaky amp twin patch to be amazing especially when the gain gets higher and if I need crunch I add a low gain TS as a boost.

MrTAteMyBalls

I find the sneaky amp twin patch to be amazing especially when the gain gets higher and if I need crunch I add a low gain TS as a boost.

Oh man I love the built in blues driver for that sound. The sneaky twin plus a bit of blues driver and a big verb is something I can get lost in for a while.

That said I just got a Helix and will be saying goodbye to the Katana. It has really served me well. It's a good product at a great price point.

Guys, need help getting past ...yes you know what I am going to say the Tone Studio Connection failure issue.

Here is Boss config
Boss artist MKii
Firmware 1.10

My PC config
Windows 7
Tone Studio 4.00
Boss katana driver 1.0

What am I doing wrong ? Pardon me if there is already an answer for this. If so can someone point me in the right direction.

I have been searching high and low and why is this answer so elusive like if the loch Ness monster really exists ? It is making me frustrated. :bonk I feel like just getting the boss pedal board and calling it a day with the Tone Studio software.

BenoA

@Maximum Guitarage It's a 3 steps process:
1) Install the drivers for win7
2) update the amp's internal software to v1.10
3) install Boss Tone Studio v1.1.0 (BTS)

FYI BTS doesn't read the amp's firmware version, it only shows it's own version number, the amp has to be updated and the only way to know if it has the newest built-in firmware is using this procedure:
  1. Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
  2. The five EFFECTS indicators display the current version.
    If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
    BOOSTER :​
    Lighted in green
    MOD :​
    Dark
    FX :​
    Lighted in green
    DELAY :​
    Dark
    REVERB :​
    Dark

FYI BTS doesn't read the amp's firmware version, it only shows it's own version number, the amp has to be updated and the only way to know if it has the newest built-in firmware is using this procedure:
  1. Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
  2. The five EFFECTS indicators display the current version.
    If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
    BOOSTER :​
    Lighted in green
    MOD :​
    Dark
    FX :​
    Lighted in green
    DELAY :​
    Dark
    REVERB :​
    Dark

Thank you for the help. Only difference is the tone Studio I had the very latest version which I believe is 4.0. I will try the 1.1.0 BTS and see how that works.

BenoA

Thank you for the help. Only difference is the tone Studio I had the very latest version which I believe is 4.0. I will try the 1.1.0 BTS and see how that works.

Take note that there are 2 version of BTS, one for the original Kat which is at v4 and another one at v1.10 for MkII. You need to have the good version for your amp.

Jonathan31

Anyone use boss katana with reaper daw? I am having a hard time hearing and recording just a dry signal into katana. I hear both the reaper and the katana at the same time. Basically I just want to hear reaper plugin not the plugin and my katana. Any other tips are appreciated.

Last edited:

BenoA

I gave up on that $}{!+ years ago.

How can I help? Windows or Mac? Kat original or MkII

Anyone use boss katana with reaper daw? I am having a hard time hearing and recording just a dry signal into katana. I hear both the reaper and the katana at the same time. Basically I just want to hear reaper plugin not the plugin and my katana. Any other tips are appreciated.

So you are probably trying to use your "dry" (no effects/preamp) from the Kat to run a VST preamp? If it's that, here is how I set up my Kat to do this:
On Reaper, select ASIO and select "secondary" (see my attached screenshot). Also, when you arm your track, make sure it's set to monitor audio. On Windows, when using the Kat as your main USB interface, the only way of monitoring is through the Katana headphones.

To make sure to hear my VST rather than the Kat, my amp is on standby and the "channel" volume at zero, I controlled the volume from the VST with the "master" on the Katana. Hope it helps. My latency was pretty low 2.4-6.7 ms with my setup. Also, make sure your track with the VST is armed and set to monitor the sound coming from it.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• kat as vst interface.jpg
    kat as vst interface.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 25
Take note that there are 2 version of BTS, one for the original Kat which is at v4 and another one at v1.10 for MkII. You need to have the good version for your amp.

@BenoA You da man! I could kiss that bald head of yours! hahah Got it working!

I have been doing this dance for like 4-5 months and was just about to give up on it. Now what am I going to do with all this free time? I guess I should play the amp lol

This did the trick
Internal Firmware V1.10 artist MKii upgrade
Install Boss Tone Studio v1.1.0

Note for all: This has to match

Elantric

The Ultimate Wireless Footswitch for KATANA 50!

Calling KATANA MK1 & MK2 users, The AIRSTEP can control those Amps now! We need your suggestion to make it an ultimate one.

For now, these things gonna happen after connecting AIRSTEP to KATANA via USB:

1. Wirelessly edit and share patches by the mobile App on iOS/Android/Mac. The App can be "BTS for KATANA-AIR" or "KATANA Librarian", both will work wirelessly! Your KATANA finally becomes a Bluetooth Amp!

2. Change channels and toggle effects, just as same as GA-FC.

3. You can finally get a full-function footswitch for your KATANA 50 : Change Channels & Toggle Effects.

4. Support KATANA 50/100/Head/Artist MKI & MKII.

5. Do we need a $99 version named AIRSTEP Kat Edition for this?

What else do you want? Please leave comments. Cheers.

Learn more about the AIRSTEP Series

Trending Topics

Top Bottom