Boss Katana and gt-1 opinion.

Geiri

Hi fellas and fellettes.

I went to the music store today to give these two a spin.

Started with the katana 50w. went through all channels and all powerstages and absolutely hated it. Hmmm I must be doing something wrong. I plugged in an id core 10 which was sitting beside the katana and to my ears the supercrunch on the blackstar does a better brownsound then the brown on the katana.

IDK what it is but the katana sounded plain bad to my ears. Remember this is just my opinion.

On to the gt-1. Plugged it into the katana on the clean setting and was using small amp and combo amp output setting on the gt-1.

This sounded pretty darn good to me after demoing the presets at least three times, the ones I liked that is.

Next I put on some headphones, set the output to line/headphones and same story. Pretty awesome.

Then I went into the PA room and hooked it up with some high end stage wedges with a 12" speaker and a horn.

Now this is getting ridiculous, this little piece of plastic sounds awesome and not just for the price.
It's a really good sounding toy.

I want one badly and I have an AX8 at home.

IMHO this is one of the best sounding out of the box MF in the sub $600 I have played.

I liked it's tones better than my gt-8, gt-10, gt-100, me-25, me-70, me-80 Zoom g3x and various others I have either had in my possession or played at a friends house.

If you think about it, Boss really nailed it this time. The gt-1 is not competing with the big boys but manages to punch far above it's price tag.

It's the little pedal that could and should be in every guitarists gigbag, couch, kitchen or wherever as long as it's there when the urge to play hits.

Sorry for the long post but I was honestly blown away by this little guy and as shure as **** it's on my christmas wishlist.

slugworth

Silver Supporting Member
The GT-1 has the same tone engine as the GT-100 but with a subset of the GT-100's capabilities.

I recently reacquired a GT-001. Digging it.

Geiri

Yes I knew that but somehow for reference the fingerlicking patch on the gt-1 sounds better than the one on the gt-100

Reactions: rsm

rsm

Hard to describe, but my GT-1 sounds clearer/crisper/sharper than my GT-100. I dig it enough that I'm selling my GT-100 now.

edit: either Boss tweaked the sounds, or something was changed in the hardware/software that makes it sound different and better IMO...even though they are based on the same GT platform. I have the GT-001 as well, which sounds more similar to the GT-100 IMO.

KenG

Had the ID CORE10 and sold it a couple of months later. Couldn't stand the tone or distortion. Didn't mind the cleans with the stereo but that was all. Didn't hold a candle to my ID TVP Amps IMO and to me it was toy, nothing more.
Lots of people are liking the Katana, I've only heard Youtube demos but from what I heard it wasn't to my taste personally. I was impressed with the way a very distorted sound could clean up by backing down the volume though!
I've never been a big Boss fan, had a multieffects pedal years ago and the tone was again not to my taste. They seem more metal oriented in distortion.

Geiri

Had the ID CORE10 and sold it a couple of months later. Couldn't stand the tone or distortion. Didn't mind the cleans with the stereo but that was all. Didn't hold a candle to my ID TVP Amps IMO and to me it was toy, nothing more.
Lots of people are liking the Katana, I've only heard Youtube demos but from what I heard it wasn't to my taste personally. I was impressed with the way a very distorted sound could clean up by backing down the volume though!
I've never been a big Boss fan, had a multieffects pedal years ago and the tone was again not to my taste. They seem more metal oriented in distortion.

I also had a tvp 60 at one time along with an id core10 and the tvp blows it and the katana away.

otter5555

Hi fellas and fellettes.

I went to the music store today to give these two a spin.

Started with the katana 50w. went through all channels and all powerstages and absolutely hated it. Hmmm I must be doing something wrong. I plugged in an id core 10 which was sitting beside the katana and to my ears the supercrunch on the blackstar does a better brownsound then the brown on the katana.

IDK what it is but the katana sounded plain bad to my ears. Remember this is just my opinion.

On to the gt-1. Plugged it into the katana on the clean setting and was using small amp and combo amp output setting on the gt-1.

This sounded pretty darn good to me after demoing the presets at least three times, the ones I liked that is.

Next I put on some headphones, set the output to line/headphones and same story. Pretty awesome.

Then I went into the PA room and hooked it up with some high end stage wedges with a 12" speaker and a horn.

Now this is getting ridiculous, this little piece of plastic sounds awesome and not just for the price.
It's a really good sounding toy.

I want one badly and I have an AX8 at home.

IMHO this is one of the best sounding out of the box MF in the sub $600 I have played.

I liked it's tones better than my gt-8, gt-10, gt-100, me-25, me-70, me-80 Zoom g3x and various others I have either had in my possession or played at a friends house.

If you think about it, Boss really nailed it this time. The gt-1 is not competing with the big boys but manages to punch far above it's price tag.

It's the little pedal that could and should be in every guitarists gigbag, couch, kitchen or wherever as long as it's there when the urge to play hits.

Sorry for the long post but I was honestly blown away by this little guy and as shure as **** it's on my christmas wishlist.

i also didn't bond with the katana 50 and sent it back. it wasn't bad....just a bit generic sounding to my ears. i have the gt100 and me 25. i use the me 25 regularly. it sounds EXACTLY like the gt100 tone for tone. and most of all, it sounds GOOD.
i love the "boss signiture" sound(s) and the me 25 nails all of 'em.

br91

GT-1 sounds good to me in combination with a Tone block.
The Katana does not sound that great until there is a clean boost in front of it, such as a Gray Channel.

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
Hard to describe, but my GT-1 sounds clearer/crisper/sharper than my GT-100. I dig it enough that I'm selling my GT-100 now.

edit: either Boss tweaked the sounds, or something was changed in the hardware/software that makes it sound different and better IMO...even though they are based on the same GT platform. I have the GT-001 as well, which sounds more similar to the GT-100 IMO.

I own the gt100 as well. I only have heard the GT-1 in videos and sound cloud, but your description is exactly what I was hearing. The gt100 has a darker sound to it , in my ears, as the GT-1 even on YouTube sounds as you described it. Crisper, clearer , sharper, etc.

Axe-Man

It's funny but I went from playing a Dual Recto yesterday through a 4x12 to the K 1x12 combo and thought how good is this little SS amp.

I have mine really well dialled in naturally and my speaker has really started to break in but it's a seriously cool amp.

There is zero chance it gets blown away by another SS amp.

I'm not saying it's better or even as good as other amps I'm not familiar with but I can say it certainly doesn't sound crap like some people make out.

jageya

It's funny but I went from playing a Dual Recto yesterday through a 4x12 to the K 1x12 combo and thought how good is this little SS amp.

I have mine really well dialled in naturally and my speaker has really started to break in but it's a seriously cool amp.

I'm not saying it's better or even as good as other amps I'm not familiar with but I can say it certainly doesn't sound crap like some people make out.
by k 1x12 do you mean katana?

FuzzFacetious

Here in my world the GT-1 sounds better than GT-100V2/GT-001, so they have updated the algorithms for GT-1
Same here - but I keep getting told by people who seem to think they're in my head that it's the price that I like. Yes, the price is awesome, but I'm talking about the sound, yes, the sound is definitely better, don't care what anyone says :)

And for the record, I really want a Katana 1x12 100w combo, it's by far the best amp I've ever heard, despite not having any tyoobz. Yes I like the price, but I love the sound, yes, definitely the sound :)

Geiri

The katana is certainly not crap it just doesn't do it for my ears. :D

Geiri

If all you have played are DSP Modellers , the Katana may not be your cup of tea.
Nope not just modellers, spider1, vetta2, about 5 roland cubes from the three most recent iterations blackstar tvp 60 and an id core 10.
I generally like the boss stuff but there was something about that amp that just plain annoyed me. IDK, can't pinpoint it exactly just didn't sound good to my ears.
And I am partial to digital cause I'm done with tubes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom