Boss Katana - does the MKII sound better than the MKI?

M

Member 132475

I'm thinking about picking up a BK 100, and used MKIs can be had really cheap. I'm not the one to fool around with tons of settings, effects, using a number of amps - I basically need one good clean sound and one good lightly overdriven sound with some reverb and a touch of delay - so I definitely don't need MORE bells and whistles than on the MKI.

BUT, if the MKII sounds better than the MKI, then that's a very good reason to get the newer version.

So, would you say this is the case, that the MKII sounds better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tootone

If you can get a MK1 for peanuts, do it.

You have the right mindset... its an amp, not a modeller.

I have a Katana Mk1 100 2x12, and it sounds great.

My advice to you would be to use the Crunch channel, with low gain for your clean sounds.... just by dropping the volume on the guitar a tad.

The mk1 Clean channel is very high headroom, and can sound a bit stiff, compared to a valve amp, unless you turn it up really loud and get speaker cones moving. Hence... use the Crunch channel.

Set the Crunch channel Gain with guitar volume on max to get it sounding on the edge of overdrive (hairy). Then use it the same as any common valve amp with pedals for your dirt.

Or you could buy the Foot Contoller (with money you saved) and use the 4 Memory Banks as amp Channels . .. Clean, Overdrive, Crunch and Lead etc.

The Lead and Brown channels are also very good if you like to rock. They sound like Marshalls.

M

Member 132475

My advice to you would be to use the Crunch channel, with low gain for your clean sounds.... just by dropping the volume on the guitar a tad.

The mk1 Clean channel is very high headroom, and can sound a bit stiff, compared to a valve amp, unless you turn it up really loud and get speaker cones moving. Hence... use the Crunch channel.

Set the Crunch channel Gain with guitar volume on max to get it sounding on the edge of overdrive (hairy). Then use it the same as any common valve amp with pedals for your dirt.

Or you could buy the Foot Contoller (with money you saved) and use the 4 Memory Banks as amp Channels . .. Clean, Overdrive, Crunch and Lead etc.

The Lead and Brown channels are also very good if you like to rock. They sound like Marshalls.

Thanks for chiming in. The crunch channel is kind of a Tweed type amp, isn't it? (Or maybe Marshall, as you say.)

Tootone

Marshall was born of the Tweed.

Best to think of the Crunch Channel as a just a Valve Amp.

In my mind I set up the Katana Crunch channel to sound like the Clean Channel on my Fender Blues Deluxe.

Think of it as a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... for arguments sake.

The powerful EQ (Mid Treble Bass) in the Katana means you can shape it pretty much to sound however you like.

I played it a jam the other night for pretty much 3 hours... Country, Blues, Latin, Jazz, Rock... never touched the Amp settings all night. I stayed on the Crunch channel. Just rode the controls on the guitar (Strat).

From 1 to 10 ...
Gain 4
Volume 4 (to suit band volume)
Bass 5
Mid 3
Treble 4
Presence 3
Power 50w
Master 7

M

Member 132475

Marshall was born of the Tweed.

Best to think of the Crunch Channel as a just a Valve Amp.

The powerful EQ (Mid Treble Bass) in the Katana means you can shape it pretty much to sound however you like.

I played it a jam the other night for pretty much 3 hours... Country, Blues, Latin, Jazz, Rock... never touched the Amp settings all night. I stayed on the Crunch channel. Just rode the controls on the guitar (Strat).

From 1 to 10 ...
Gain 4
Volume 4 (to suit band volume)
Bass 5
Mid 3
Treble 4
Presence 3
Power 50w
Master 7

That sounds just about perfect. I use a treble bleed in my Strat, so I use the volume on the guitar to clean up.

Again, thanks for commenting.

M

Member 132475

Clean - JC120
Crunch - Bassman
Lead - 5150
Brown - Soldano SLO100

I've read that the Clean can be changed to a Twin Reverb via the software. Which is still a pretty stiff amp, though, but maybe less so than the JC120.

Tootone

I've read that the Clean can be changed to a Twin Reverb via the software. Which is still a pretty stiff amp, though, but maybe less so than the JC120.

You can hack into the software and dig out "secret amps"... i.e. Amp Models.

I would strongly advise against this, since it seems to sour expectations, and spoil the simplicity of "good standalone amp".

Remember, Boss threw in the FX Modelling software as a bonus - for free. The core product is the amp.

M

Member 132475

You can hack into the software and dig out "secret amps"... i.e. Amp Models.

I would strongly advise against this, since it seems to sour expectations, and spoil the simplicity of "good standalone amp".

Remember, Boss threw in the FX Modelling software as a bonus - for free. The core product is the amp.

I might give it a try whenever I get the amp. I can always reset it. But, yeah, set it and forget it. I'm so sick of menus, settings and preferences.

milosppf

I was talking about the stock preamp models, you can use sneaky amps as well. For a Fender sound try the sneaky Deluxe Crunch with the gain at around 9 o'clock-ish. I really like that one for a dirtier clean. Hope this helps. Cheers. :)

M

Member 132475

That video, for the most part, sounds like the Crunch channel.

He's got another video where he demonstrates how to get a good tube-like tone on the clean channel. Gain high up, much bass, and a bit of boost. Sounds really good.

I need to get this amp.

MikeRI

I'm thinking about picking up a BK 100, and used MKIs can be had really cheap. I'm not the one to fool around with tons of settings, effects, using a number of amps - I basically need one good clean sound and one good lightly overdriven sound with some reverb and a touch of delay - so I definitely don't need MORE bells and whistles than on the MKI.

BUT, if the MKII sounds better than the MKI, then that's a very good reason to get the newer version.

So, would you say this is the case, that the MKII sounds better?
When the MKII first came out there were some who said it didn't sound quite as good as the original MKI. I don't know because I've only played the MKI (in fact, I still own it)... With this said, I wouldn't mind owning the MKII over the MKI even just for the extra on-amp effects controls (not a high priority for me though because I'm happy with the original). I paid $150 sometime ago for a like-new MK1 (well before the MKII came out); I think you wouldn't go wrong with either the MKI or MKII... Nice amp! This is important --> The key for me to getting it to sound good with my P90's was the amp's global EQ.

M

Member 132475

I heard a clip where someone played through the Twin Reverb amp (via sneaky amps) - that sounded VERY good.

BTW, "sneaky amps", that's got to be a direct translation from Japanese?

MrTAteMyBalls

Use sneaky amps to change out the clean with the bright twin. Game changer. So much better than the stock clean.

Then other channels all sound good with the default amps. Other than clean I found the sneaky amps pretty useless.

mentoneman

Fired up my M1 100w head last night through an evh 1x12 gh30 cab and it was great sounding. Gets a great dirty blues tone.

It’s not a vintage twin or marshall, just a great all around clean to grinding $300 amp with effects. Love the aux in to jam along with my iphone. Haven’t tried the fx loop yet but will soon.

Top Bottom