Boss Katana - does the MKII sound better than the MKI?

M

Member 132475

Use sneaky amps to change out the clean with the bright twin. Game changer. So much better than the stock clean.

The original clean is based on a Roland Jazz Chorus, which is nice for some things, but it's no Twin Reverb, that's for sure.

That video, for the most part, sounds like the Crunch channel.
He's got another video where he demonstrates how to get a good tube-like tone on the clean channel. Gain high up, much bass, and a bit of boost. Sounds really good.
It's this video, he shows the settings at the very end: clean channel, gain maxed out, volume at 12, bass at 2, middle and treble at 11, green boost (BD-2) and master at 10
he uses crunch when playing humbucker Les Paul: gain at 3, boost turned off, rest the same

Tootone

It's this video, he shows the settings at the very end: clean channel, gain maxed out, volume at 12, bass at 2, middle and treble at 11, green boost (BD-2) and master at 10
he uses crunch when playing humbucker Les Paul: gain at 3, boost turned off, rest the same

Yeah saw that after I'd written the post. Tbh he was getting most of those sounds from the Boost FX (BDriver)... so I just cut out the middle man and go direct on the Crunch channel. Works for me.

M

Member 132475

At any rate, the potential for getting really good tones out of this thing seems amazing. And at that price!

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I was able to easily get a great clean Fender Deluxe Reverb sound on the version II. The II does sound better because it has twice as many voices to choose from. No sneaky amps needed.

Tmidiman

Definitely load up the “sneaky amps“. If I only needed a clean sound the stock sounds would be fine, but if you need the mesa boogie dual rec sound the standard presets won’t even come close. But the “sneaky amps”, GOT IT! That be the case, you might as well try the others for a possibly better clean sound option. No hacking require, just load them with the live sets you can download...

Which leads to another reason why you might consider the mkII. The mkII gives you 8 save slots on the panel, instead of 4. That is where you can save the “sneaky amps” you like and have the perfect amp.

Last edited:
M

Member 132475

Definitely load up the “sneaky amps“. If I only needed a clean sound the stock sounds would be fine, but if you need the mesa boogie dual rec sound the standard presets won’t even come close. But the “sneaky amps”, GOT IT! That be the case, you might as well try the others for a possibly better clean sound option. No hacking require, just load them with the live sets you can download...

Which leads to another reason why you might consider the mkII. The mkII gives you 8 save slots on the panel, instead of 4. That is where you can save the “sneaky amps” you like and have the perfect amp.

OK, so I don't know how all that works yet, but you can't replace the default onboard amp models with whatever is available via the sneaky amps?

Alex Kenivel

OK, so I don't know how all that works yet, but you can't replace the default onboard amp models with whatever is available via the sneaky amps?
They are more like a hidden list of amps. There are a couple of third-party softwares available to access them, or you can just download somebody else's preset that uses a sneaky amp, just be sure not to change amp models or you will lose it. Honestly the Modern Rectifier is the only reason I dabble in the sneaky amps now.

Don't know exactly how it works in MkII, but you could store 8 presets on mkI too (4 on 50w combo) - they doubled the number of slots in the 1st firmware update IIRC

Dan Desy

Gold Supporting Member
Don't know exactly how it works in MkII, but you could store 8 presets on mkI too (4 on 50w combo) - they doubled the number of slots in the 1st firmware update IIRC
Same on the mkII. But the mark two has twice as many preamp configurations as the one.

Tmidiman

No, you can’t replace the original amps and variations in the dial settings. It would be great if they offered that in the future.

Tmidiman

Also, sneaky amps are not compatible/available on the MkII as far as I know.

Sneaky amps ARE available for the mkII. Only the last 2 of the 30 are not. That’s an Orange amp and one other That I cannot remember.

I’m speaking specifically on loading the sneaky amps via the livesets. No hacking required. Just open the liveset and click on the amp you want.

Tmidiman

Another question: Does the Katana take pedals well?

Yes it does.

2Raukl3.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom