Boss Katana - does the MKII sound better than the MKI?

Mantras

there is no sound difference between the two - but the MKII has more sounds with the "variation" button. It essentially doubles the voicings from 5 to 10. Theres also a bunch of other upgrades / options but if you're only thinking about sound they should be the same
hi
for my ears the 50 mk2 does sound brighter and better , maybe the have tweaked something with the software?

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Fired up my M1 100w head last night through an evh 1x12 gh30 cab and it was great sounding. Gets a great dirty blues tone.

It’s not a vintage twin or marshall, just a great all around clean to grinding $300 amp with effects. Love the aux in to jam along with my iphone. Haven’t tried the fx loop yet but will soon.
I still have my Katana head V1 and use it all the time with my music lessons. It handles all of my guitars well, including my pedal steel ( which I use the acoustic setting)
One of my students has V2 of the Katana head. To me, they sound exactly the same, but more options for effects. The amp is easy to dial in, without the editor.

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
imho - a "brighter Katana is not the direction Id desire . These Amps have a tendency to become brighter the louder you crank it up, so always create patches at the volume your band performs

Agreed 100%. Less rasp, more hi-end warmth would be lovely.

luckymethod

hi
for my ears the 50 mk2 does sound brighter and better , maybe the have tweaked something with the software?
I think the MK2 might have slightly better speakers, at least that's the impression I got playing both but I don't have them so I can't really check.

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
Agreed

Why I went Catalyst

Yeah? Hmm. The Catalyst struck me as a little sterile sounding. What’s the scoop here, from your perspective? Maybe I should give it a second chance.

I’ve been a L6 fan since the beginning. Did many a “poor man’s gig” with a Flextone and Flextone II. I was *really* hoping to love the Catalyst, especially since the company has put out some amazing products over the past 5 years. The Catalyst was as underwhelming to me as the PowerCab.

Elantric

Yeah? Hmm. The Catalyst struck me as a little sterile sounding. What’s the scoop here, from your perspective? Maybe I should give it a second chance.

I’ve been a L6 fan since the beginning. Did many a “poor man’s gig” with a Flextone and Flextone II. I was *really* hoping to love the Catalyst, especially since the company has put out some amazing products over the past 5 years. The Catalyst was as underwhelming to me as the PowerCab.
Only one model appeals to me

Catalyst 200
I'm working on a Stereo input mod, so I can utilize it as a Stereo Power Cab for my Kemper

Tmidiman

iMHO L6 has failed in the last 10 years, in regards to sound quality. I hoped the Cat would be the sign of things turning around, but there’s always next time.

Til then Boss has been knocking out of the park with Katana series. They’ve also done very well with increased communications with users, while not using paid shills to attack people who have valid inquiries.

timbuck2

Only one model appeals to me

Catalyst 200
I'm working on a Stereo input mod, so I can utilize it as a Stereo Power Cab for my Kemper
why line 6 didnt make the cat200 stereo is beyond me...i mean its really basically all there...how much could it have added to the price? $50

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Still enjoying my Katana MKII head into my Bogner Cube. Sounds amazing and I actually enjoy the simplicity of using it live with the GA/FC switch and a couple of extra pedals. All good. I turn the stereo enhance on and run that output into a TC IR pedal for some great direct tones!

Bob Zod

The Land of Entrapment
Silver Supporting Member
I miss my MKI head. I have tried the MKII head and I didn't find much difference at all sonically other than the eq filter switch for each channel. I basically donated my MKI to a friend who needed an amp and didn't have much cash. If I ever use another amp in a live setting it will be a Katana. I had such great luck not just gigging with it but using it as backline for other players and mixing it with bands was a dream. It just sat in the mix so well.

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW I have a MK I 1X12 combo since they came out in, what, 2018, still take it out to jams and such, and rarely use crunch, usually run it on clean with a nice drive du jour, with the caveat that the heaviest tones I tend to use are hard rock or blues and I like to control dirt from guitar volume know. But YMMV...

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
yep, amazing value. if I were to buy one now I'd get the head though, built-in speaker should cover bedroom playing nicely, ability to plug in any other cab covers the rest. and it's more portable than the combo
Had the head but just liked the all in one of the 1X12 combo better, simpler for quick setup and tear down and grab 'n go situations. Didn't use the head much and tbh don't miss it. I paid about $200 for it, so amazing value!!! My buddy liked it so much when I used it to jam with him he went out and bought one too, and he is still gigging with it afaik. :dude

MrTAteMyBalls

You can hack into the software and dig out "secret amps"... i.e. Amp Models.

I would strongly advise against this, since it seems to sour expectations, and spoil the simplicity of "good standalone amp".

Remember, Boss threw in the FX Modelling software as a bonus - for free. The core product is the amp.

I advise to do it. The Sneaky bright twin is sooooo much better than the stock clean. It takes about 5 minutes to switch it out.

The other channels I just kept stock. They sound great out of the box.

Also don't forget the parametric EQ option in the software. It makes a world of difference also.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom