Boss Katana - legitimate acoustic amp?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by notyalcer, Jan 29, 2018.

1. notyalcer

notyalcer Silver Supporting Member

I own a Katana 100 combo amp which has an acoustic channel built in. I do not own an acoustic guitar amplifier. I recently installed a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic pickup in my 1999 Larrivee LV-09. It sounds really nice through the Katana, and its nice to be able to add chorus, delay and reverb with the built in Boss effects. But without some reference to directly compare it to, I wonder if I could get an even better sound through a dedicated mid-priced acoustic amp.

Has anyone compared the Katana to a "real" acoustic amp of mid-level quality? Thanks!

wire-n-wood likes this.
  2. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

You thinking it sounds good is probably the most important part of the equation, right?

What context do you intend to use it? Full band? Solo acoustic? Home use?

3. notyalcer

For now home use.

Bluedano1 likes this.
  4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Gotcha. If you're just playing your guitar at home and you like how it sounds, it's probably good enough. That said, I think a dedicated acoustic amp may well sound better. As a bonus, they generally have a mic input too which you can definitely use as a home PA for you and an acoustic. You live in Atlanta. I'd definitely hit the music store and fiddle with a few acoustic amps. There are some good ones out there. I use a Roland AC-60 which I dig. Fishman makes some great amps. There are many others.

wire-n-wood likes this.
  5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I acoustic-gigged with a Peavey Classic 30, so I would keep an open mind and trust your ears.

themannamedbones likes this.
  6. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I’m planning to get a Boss Katana in Feb. I’ve been gigging (electric) with Fender amps, but the singer and I want to do some acoustic duo work. So I’m hoping the Katana can cover both bases. I’m glad you’re enjoying the acoustic sound.

7. notyalcer

Thanks for the replies! My reason for experimenting was to encourage myself to play acoustic more - so far its working.

I was able to try my acoustic with new pickup through a 2x12 tube combo amp a little while ago. It sounded a lot more narrow and honky through that. I think the Katana acoustic channel has a wider range and sounds more detailed. I am hearing a little bit of midrange honk with the Katana, but again I don't have a lot of experience with amplifying acoustic guitars.

I am going to try to adjust the Katana's equalizer in its software when I have some time. and see if I can optimize the frequency response a little better.

8. plawren53202

plawren53202 Member

I have the Katana 100. At least at home (haven't tried it with my acoustic at band practice or out yet), I haven't really been able to find a way to make my acoustic sound bad through it. I have a Seagull S6 with the Fishman sound hole cover/pickup, and an LR Baggs Venue preamp pedal. I tried all of the following just out of curiosity: (a) guitar/Fishman direct into amp input jack, on acoustic channel; (b) guitar/Fishman into Baggs Venue into amp input jack, on acoustic channel; and (c) guitar/Fishman into Baggs Venue, into the effects return on the back of the amp (thereby bypassing the preamp channels).

None of these sounded bad. I think I liked just the guitar, no Baggs Venue, when plugged into the amp input jack, and the guitar/Baggs combo when plugged into the effects return, the best. But at least at home, they all seemed workable to me. Nice thing about using the input jack was the ability to add just a hint of reverb, compression and/or chorus if wanted.

9. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

It's probably quite nice sounding, but without a tweeter, it can't possibly have a full range frequency response. But if you're using a piezo or mag, there's probably not much up in that range anyway, so if it sounds good then use it

10. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Why are you using ANY amplification for home use? Just curious...

11. notyalcer

With my acoustic, I find that the sound projects outward away from my ears - which is by design, right? With the amp on low I can hear more of the detail and articulation of the guitar. Just makes it more fun to play, at least for me.

Stevo57, ronster, 73171 and 2 others like this.
  12. 73171

73171 Member

:agree

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I bought a 100W combo to have on stage as a backup and an acoustic monitor. It does not work for Acoustic guitar. It's pretty terrible.

It might work ok at home at bedroom volumes. It just sounds odd.

14. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Katana 100 combo and a Yamaha THR10. Using the acoustic option of either amp, I much prefer the THR to the Kat for acoustic use.

15. badtoneno

badtoneno Member

This was my experience also. As much as I dig the Katana, the acoustic didn’t work well with it. Now that being said, I have the 100w head and am running through a 1x12 with a celestion G12H30 so the combos may do a lot better.

16. notyalcer

I experimented with the BTS software to add parametric EQ. I created a fairly narrow notch with about 8dB reduction and swept it through the midrange until it sounded less nasal and more neutral and balanced across the range of the guitar. At least to my ears. This helped a lot.

I made a patch with compression, very mild, just enough to balance out the string response. I wanted chorus, and compared the chorus effect to the pitch shifter set to 0 offset. The pitch shifter sounded a lot better, no sweeping sound, just a nice subtle doubling effect.

I will never use this louder than a living room jam, so I am pretty pleased so far.

lschwart and lp_bruce like this.
  17. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

EQ is a powerful tool, isn't it?

lschwart likes this.
  18. voxampguy

voxampguy Member

I've got a Katana 50 and a 100. Best Acoustic amp that I've ever owned. I have to say, I have never been a huge Taylor fan, but of late found that I loved the acoustic electric sound of the Expression System/2. Now have a 12 string and 6 string and they both sound amazing through the Katana. There are better sounding acoustic guitars, but if you're plugging in they sure sound good together...the Katana and the Taylors.

19. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I've had my Katana (have the head and run it through a marshall 412) for a couple years now. The acoustic channel on the amp does sound pretty good. Is it as good as a "dedicated" acoustic amp???? Probably not, if for no other reason than the speaker is not specifically designed for only acoustic. That being said, if you are in a situation where you are playing both electric and acoustic within a set (which is where I am), then the Katana makes a great all in one option to be able to handle both.

20. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

Do y’all use the effects on the acoustic channel? Do they sound good?