Boss Katana Mk II

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by turntable_blues, Oct 3, 2019.

1. BenoA

BenoA Member

I had at one point, could not have both amps MkI and MkII connected at the same time. But when I did my "stereo expand" video, they both worked fine. BTS MkI and BTS MkII and both amps connected too. Weird. Running Windows10.

VanDrexl likes this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

@BenoA have you compared using the fx return set up "properly" with a modeling front end vs. using the power amp input with the same device?

milosppf likes this.
  3. BenoA

BenoA Member

Good question and let me quote myself from the long thread about the Katana amps:

It's in my plan to compare them in a video. Just not enough time to do all of these.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  4. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

Thanks. If there isn't much difference between using the FX return on the old Kat (when set to post reverb) and the power amp input on the MKII; it won't work for me.

5. slaggi

slaggi Member

6. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Direct comparison between mki and mkii at 10:30...big difference in the sound which he says is down to a different speaker... Hmm....

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

That doesnt make sense. Boss said there was no change there.
    Guitargeek said the channel variant sounds all sounded better than original, but that's pixie dust, not hardware

JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

The guy didn't actually state that the MkII uses a different speaker, per se. He stated (according to his own translation captions) that it employs a different speaker replacement, giving the MkII a more open sound with greater presence. He also noted that this feature is not indicated in any BOSS marketing material. So, he may have meant that the MkII changes the speaker "placement", i.e., that it is the same speaker, but mounted in the cabinet enclosure differently. Or, it may in fact be a completely different speaker. Hard to tell, and it could be an issue lost in translation.

Edit: Whoops, at timestamp 11:52 he specifically states that the speakers are different between the MkI and MkII:

"...and yes, the speakers are different from Mark I to Mark II"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    TimeSnow and OPENYOUREYES like this.
  9. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

interesting. Alot of guys complained the k100 was too shrill and lacked bottom end. So....is the mk2 even more shrill? I like that boss didnt jack up the mk2 price too much like other companies di on mk2 versions(blackstar silverline(mk2 id amps))

TimeSnow likes this.
  10. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

they mystery deepens

Moe45673 and TimeSnow like this.
  11. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

That's what I thought.... But it seems like he claims that it's not documented... Who knows I guess.

12. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Yeah I should've mentioned that timestamp as well.. Thanks for adding that.

Deuterium likes this.
  13. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

14. BenoA

BenoA Member

So much bull crap out there. I have direct confirmation from Boss that the speakers are the same. Only the sticker was changed as in @TimeSnow pics above.

Moe45673 and TimeSnow like this.
  15. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

ok so they must have just revoiced the preamps then. makes sence if the speaker is same.

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

The "without" variation button activated are the same as the MkI.

The "variations" are revoiced of the original channel. I have done all MkII channels on my Youtube if ever it can help.

17. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

wow thanx....i expected the variations to just have eq changes from the mk1 basic preamp tones. thanx for the verification that mk2 voices(not variations) are same as mk1.

18. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Thanks for that!

I was really surprised by that claim so very happy to have the facts!

19. MikeRI

MikeRI Member

They're different... Notice that little white speaker connector: one has one rivet and the other has two (and the mounting angle there is different as well), so for sure at least that (albeit) minor thing was changed. And they changed the sticker. Something tells me they did not refrain from tinkering with it in other ways too... The Japanese just can't help it; it's called Kaizen (continuous improvement)... It's in their manufacturing / engineering / product development DNA.

20. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

It would great to have a mki and mkii next to each other and see how different they sound. If at all.