Boss Katana Mk II

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by turntable_blues, Oct 3, 2019.

1. BenoA

BenoA Member

Don't quote me wrong. :D I said revoiced but to my old beaten up ears, they sound more like an EQ/gain/presence tweak. I invite you to go to my youtube channel (link in my signature) I have done them all with everything at noon. No special esoteric mastering. 2 mics straight to audio soundcard. Feel free to comment here on my Youtube page.

I haven't watched many videos on the MkII but so many wrong informations being said and brought back in these forums or in my Facebook group.

I only see a connector changed. Probably for cost saving as these are mass market high volume amps. But Boss told me that they are the same.

TimeSnow likes this.
  2. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

Ha..yes even in aikido this term was drilled into my head!> from teacher to student to opponent
    Kaizen (改善) is the Sino-Japanese word for "improvement". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers.

MikeRI likes this.
  3. BenoA

BenoA Member

TimeSnow likes this.
  4. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Is there any chance that the person you asked was wrong?

I assume no, and definitely don't want to spread any misinformation... It just occurred to me maybe it was changed and e.g. no one in the PR dept knows... Etc.

5. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Why do you want the speaker to be improved so badly?

All that matters is how the thing sounds overall. Regardless of why, and how. right?

TimeSnow likes this.
  6. BenoA

BenoA Member

To me a connector isn't a big change. The magnet looks the same from the photo and they would have to change also the cone and/or it's material.

The way I see the MkII, it's a simple evolution. It's based out of the genetics of the MkI which was reportedly still selling pretty well. So to keep the cost down from a fabrication stand point, they kept most of the components and improve the package.

I also trust the infos they provided me when I asked about it. When the Boss' boss is in CC I would not write stupid stuff in my email.

TimeSnow likes this.
  7. BenoA

BenoA Member

TimeSnow likes this.
  8. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

one way to tell..if you have mk1 and mk2 just swap speakers or make a cable to use the speaker in the other amp and test it out with clips. maybe that guitar geek YT dude will do this as he is gaga for the katana.

TimeSnow likes this.
  9. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

That's good enough for me. Thanks!

BenoA likes this.
  10. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Clever idea

11. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

BenoA likes this.
  12. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Who said I badly wanted it improved? I certainly never did.

13. MikeRI

MikeRI Member

Almost upgraded to the MK II today, but then learned Tone Studio for MK II does not support my Mac's El Capitan OS (whereas it is supported by my 1st gen Kat). So for me / for now upgrading to the MK II is not an option; too bad. I was up in the air about whether to 'upgrade' or not, but now the decision's been made for me; moving on.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

Crikey ... that's a bit ordinary ... that's only 4 years old (El Capitan). I understand that applications have to move on, but 4 years "old" seems ... not very ... old

15. MikeRI

MikeRI Member

Saw this post below by a guy on another Katana forum...

"Talked with a friend of mine who works at Sweetwater and he said Retailers now have the dilemma of what to do with all the original Katanas in stock as they can't very well try to sell them at the same price as the new ones. Plus he said that there is a lot of disappointment in the industry that Boss didn't at least offer a software upgrade option for the original amps and have voiced their displeasure to Boss about it."

Boss 'did dumb' with their new amp... They ticked off a lot of people: their retailers and their user base, who before the MK II release had a very favorable view of the Boss-Katana brand but now they don't... So short-sighted. I think they could and should fix it to back into everyone's good graces, but the question is, "Will they?"... I hope so.

16. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Not gonna happen.

17. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

This thread is amazing lol! Bull Crap? Doggy Doo? and much ado about Shitzu Shinzen Koy Poo!

gumtown likes this.
  18. mertay

mertay Member

They discounted the Katana's here (Turkey) around 1 month ago before the mk2 was announced. This suggests its not a world wide but US or maybe only a sweetwater thing as they couldn't estimate how fast the stocks would last and ordered too many.

And sweetwater still isn't giving a proper discount so its safe to assume there's some argument going on inside. As for the software upgrade, they made 3 to my count so its not an issue (had a gt-1 and only updates were maintenance related).

19. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I have to download the manual before I buy. I was gonna grab one asap but spent some time last night getting my MKI Kat head set up to be controlled via MIDI controller and was disappointed. You can't do much more via MIDI than with the GAFC and that's just plain stupid. For instance booster/mod and delay/fx are still tied together and can't be assigned to different cc's. Deal breaker if thats the case. I love my current Kat head so I will only buy the MKII if the MIDI implementation is expanded.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Welp that was quick. It does now have individually assignable FX so just pre-ordered the head. Psyched!

TimeSnow and JiveTurkey like this.