• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss Katana users from a year ago (or so) - where are you now?

White Limo

Just wondering - for those who got a Katana in 2017 or early 2018, are you still using it? Or have you moved on? Why?

Thanks!

Somebody_Else

I loved mine at first but I'm seeing it's limitations now. I can't get decent cleans out of it unless I'm on the Lead or Brown channel with boost on and my guitar volume knob turned down. Clean and crunch channels are muddy and lacking crispness. Auto wah engaged makes it sound like I'm playing through layers of blankets. Overdrive tones aren't as rich and musical as a tube amp, which is to be expected especially for a $349.00 modeling amp, but honestly I'm ready for a change.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still using it and still very happy with it for what it is. It's the amp I leave at my friend's house for our get together "jams". It was inexpensive, it's low maintenance, it's loud enough (Katana 100 1x12), and has the effects on board. I never thought it would replace my tube amps - which stay at home for the most part - but I still think it sounds pretty darn good for about $360... ;)

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the 100w combo, head, and the Artist versions...and the Artist is still the tubeless amp to beat for me and I use it more than any of my other amps. I mostly use the clean channel and my guitars sound like they are supposed to, to me, with no tube maintenance or upkeep. I like my KA enough that I can't imagine going back to tube amps...but I've learned to never say never too;).

Axe-Man

I tried K100C, K100H, K Artist and K Mini.

I still own the mini and plan to give it to my 8yo son for a practice amp if Santa brings him a 3/4 guitar for Christmas.

I particularly liked the Artist and loved the Waza speaker.

I got some really good sounds out of the KA when using Vintage Resonance mode. I needed the 1959 I for cleans but the front panel controls got me anything from Angus Young to Jose Marshall aggro.

I have to admit to be quite disappointed with the lower gain AC/DC type crunch tones I crafted only to be taken aback when I had it turned up really loud. I actually had to laugh as it was so radically different to low volume. Sounded great cranked up.

I wish Boss released the damn Waza speakers for purchase. They are fantastic and they are something I’d buy.

I have the 50 I use it from time to time when I start becoming complacent with my Mark V. I played it a couple hours Saturday... it's good for what it is and the price but when I plug into the Mesa afterwards there's no comparison and the Mark V sounds great at low volumes so no need for the Katana now.. I'll keep it around in case the Mesa ever breaks down since I tried selling it for 180 in mint condition in September but no one was interested..

Ejay

Sold it one month after purchase, at a gig it doesnt hold up to its promise...and I dont see the point of having gear around that cant be used at a gig....or only at some gigs.
So much stuff around that does it all...

beagle

I got my 50 in 2016. I'm still here and so is my amp. It does everything I want it to do. Practice, recording and gigs.

LCW

Had one (K100/112) most of 2017 into early 2018. Sold it back in March I think but now have another that I picked up a month ago. For the money it can’t be beat. Honestly I like its tone more than my 5150 in some cases.

Eagerly waiting to see what the V3 software update brings...

Sayuncledave

I still have the K50 my wife bought me for my birthday in '17. I did swap the speaker for a v30. Sounds fine. Sometime next year I hope to get a Nextone to compliment it. ;)

=JL=

I bought a K100 in October 2017 and sold it in January. I tried it at a few gigs and couldn't get it to react dynamically like even a cheap valve amp. It was a fine practice amp, but I don't need a £400 100w practice amp.

It died on the new owner about a month ago and got thrown in a dumpster.

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
I still have a K100 and still like it. I have gigged it once or twice. As a gig amp, for me, it is difficult to use if the venue requires adjustments since the tweaks are lost once you move from one channel to another. Further, I struggle to get the same beautiful sound out of my 12 string electric with the Katana as compared to my Fender amps. But I like the Katana as a practice amp both at home and out, and have enjoyed all the different options built into it via the computer. If vintage Fender is your sound, and it is mine, Katana reinforces why old Fender amps are so good. Even an amateur like me can get really good sounds on the fly at a gig with a Fender because they are simple to adjust if you are into that basic sound. Tweaks from a couple of pedals and done.

JCW308

I have no issues with using my Katana 100 for a clean pedal platform for a BOSS GT-1000. The clean channel is fine with my guitars and stays clean all the way up. It's punchy, chimey, sparkly and wonderful!

DemonJr

No longer a Boss Katana owner.... but not to say its not a great amp. I bought it for $500 and sold it to buy a Traynor YCV40 tube amp for $250. So WIN WIN for me.

Katana was best SS i ever owned and if i never played a tube amp, i would be super happy with it and even gig with it. But i own a GT1 and it does everything the Katana can do. Plus i have 2 Vox Pathfinders and a Vox Night train G2. Didnt need it.

frthib

I learned to appreciate my k50 for what it is.. a really great practice amp. I had to change the speaker. I use it more than my tube amps. It's more convenient.

I also have a katana mini that I use way more often than I thought I would. This thing sounds great once it goes over a certain volume. It's a strange amp.

garret

Still have a Kat50. I’m not a big fan of the gain but for the price it is what it is. Does have some great features.

Actually my 333XL gets better low volume tones than the Kat.

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
Got my Katana 100 virtually new in the box for $150 cash via Craigslist a year ago as I needed an amp for students to plug into after my old Peavey Bandit died. Did the tweaks. Loaded the tone studio. Got tired of playing with it. It's relegated to student use only. It's fine for $150 but I certainly would not have paid more. Tried the BC Artist with EJ cube as well which I could not get rid of fast enough. Worst amp I've ever played through. I see there's 2 of those on my local CL now for $450. For Practice and recording I use a THR10 and for gig's my Carr Sportsman. Will never understand the Katana or for that matter the Roland hype but to each their own. Of course, these are just personal opinions. We all have different tastes.

Michel347

Still have mine since October 2016, did change the speaker, for home practice it is really great and won't go away.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom