Boss Katana vs Yamaha THR10

Johnny21

I'm looking for a small headphone/bedroom amp to play along with aux line. I have one of those tiny micro amps which is decent, but it sounds really harsh with headphones.

I'm wondering who has tried both the Katana and THR10--and which sounded better through headphones?

The Katana head seems to have an edge in because of the FX loop, portability factor (no speaker)but it's also $50 more expensive.

Here is what I've narrowed down to:

Boss Katana Head - $350

Boss Katana 50w with 1x12 - $200

Yamaha THR10 - $300

veritechc

I just so happen to be getting a Boss KTN 100 today and my THR10X will be here next Monday. I got them specifically so I could test them out against one another. I'll let you know what I think. Any special requests on testing besides through headphones and aux in?

Loremipsum

Although THR10 series are a great concept, I found the THR10X headphone output just a tad too noisy (both low and high gain tones). I know that many people are happy with it (some even use the headphone output direct to PA) but this was the only reason I returned it.
Didn't test the THR10 and THR10C, but I guess they share the same headphone output circuit/cabinet simulation.

Johnny21

I just so happen to be getting a Boss KTN 100 today and my THR10X will be here next Monday. I got them specifically so I could test them out against one another. I'll let you know what I think. Any special requests on testing besides through headphones and aux in?
Wow thanks so much!!

Could you tell me which sounds better clean and which sounds more fuller with a "tube like" sound in the OD/Crunch settings?

Brutus

I've got a zillion options to use mp3s and headphones with. Recently, I dug out my pocket pod and guess which sounds the best? Yes, yes it does.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
For lightweight ease of use and battery powered untethered convenience allowing it to be positioned and used anywhere, the THR10C is very nice! And, it souds great, both, via the onboard stereo FRFR spkrs or via headphones, IEMs.

dr150

Although THR10 series are a great concept, I found the THR10X headphone output just a tad too noisy (both low and high gain tones). I know that many people are happy with it (some even use the headphone output direct to PA) but this was the only reason I returned it.
Didn't test the THR10 and THR10C, but I guess they share the same headphone output circuit/cabinet simulation.

You can always try the Noise Gate withinin the software from the PC and save as a Preset...

Wirezz

I've had a Thr 10, ThR 100 and now a katana.

All sound pretty good with headphones. But overall I love the katana the best. It's just so much more versatile.

noizyb

The THR10C was one of several amps I tried for several weeks, while ultimately stopping with the Katana 100 Combo. I loved the sound of the THR10C...very responsive, and easy to dial in usable tones. It was the footprint, and the need to "move some more air" that convinced me to move on to try the Katana, which brilliantly handles the role of practice amp and performance amp.

From a purely headphone standpoint, I'm not overwhelmed by either. The ability to achieve sweet tones at low volumes is possible with both amps, so I just crank the master down and tweak away.

Last edited:

BenoA

Very happy THR5 owner here. Perfect for recording USB and jamming at low volume. Works on batteries and make an awesome laptop speaker (USB audio interface).

But I'm about to pull the trigger on a Katana head. I just played one on Friday, and the Katana head is what the THR head should have been.

So I would say, if you want more volume, go with the Boss amp, if you just want to have fun at low volume and portability, go with the Yamaha. Both are good choice.

jageya

apparently the katana headphone out is all mono -even the effects...

jageya

any trials yet???

mbetter

My .02 with the 10X: skip the "clean" model and use Brown1 with gain and master turned way down for cleans.

joel.o.d

Hey, can I get a demo of a clean, bright and reverby sound from both, recorded via usb? I live in an appartment and I want to practice and record at night.
Something like this:

I want to try to see which one as a more natural sound, a the best cab simulator.

Thanks for doing this, since I don't have stores near to test, it would be very usefull for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom