BOSS "Legend Series" - cheesy or cool?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpill, Jan 18, 2008.

1. redpill

redpill Member

So I recently came across these Boss "Legend Series" pedals. One named for a '65 DR, the other for a '59 Bassman. Their website has a paucity of information on these items that is not terribly confidence inspiring. On the one hand, they seem like a cheesy concept - drop a pedal in front of your amp and transform it into a Bassman! But if they are good, effective modeling pedals that can be used to go direct and take pedals well themselves, well...that'd be pretty cool. Any thoughts on what these beasts really are?

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

There are some videos up on youtube. I haven't played them but the videos didn't really want to make me run out and buy one.

3. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

The search function is a good start!

4. redpill

redpill Member

Yeah, although I've never gotten much out of YouTube videos. Still, I'm just curious how the things are *intended* to be used.

5. redpill

redpill Member

Indeed, but it didn't get me what I was hoping to find out.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I bought the DR a while back. It's sitting somewhere in my home studio..on a shelf. I couldn't really see using it live, and I didn't think
    it took pedals well at all. Had a cool sound, seemed like best through my cheaper transistor "beater" amp than my tube amps.

The reverb on the DR is the PITS. It makes that sproing sound you get from a real spring reverb when someone kicks or knocks the amp (and the fact that I KNOW this...probably means I am not always playing my best if folks are kicking my amp enough for me to recognize it) every few seconds.

To be honest, it is like a reviewer here said recently..."It's a kinda cool toy, I'm just not sure what I am supposed to DO with it???!"

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

It is a riddle. An amp that sounds like a pedal that sounds like an amp...etc.

8. redpill

redpill Member

Ah, and there's the rub. All I'm hoping to use it (or something like it) for is to go direct. I'd never put a box like that in front of an amp. I'd only ever want a modeler for going direct. And I can't find anyone who has reviewed these units as direct boxes.

But thanks for the added data points!

9. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have tried both for the purpose of going direct but I didn't like them. The only analog pedals I have found good enough to use direct are the Ethos and the Blackstar. I bought the Ethos and the Blackstar HT-Dual.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. redpill

redpill Member

But the BOSS unit isn't analog, either. It has their COSM digital engine.

Anyway, thanks for the extra input. I think I'm going to pass until I can stop by a guitar megastore and try one out.

11. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

They don't take pedals at all well when going into an amp or PA, I use the bassman in an FX loop to add charachter sometimes, but only in my bedroom!!!
    I've got much better sims out of the magicstomp.