Boss LS-2 Line Selector setup question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RAD44, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RAD44

RAD44 Member

Hi all,
    I am considering buying a Boss LS-2 Line Selector so I can switch between use of two guitars onstage, going into the same amp. I have read that this is totally possible with this effect, and have even seen a diagram of how to accomplish this, but the diagram is confusing. In A<->B mode, it basically shows guitar 1 going into the "Return A", guitar 2 going into "Return B", and the "Output" proceeding to the amp. The confusing part is this statement which is pointing to the LS-2 "Input". It reads: "Plug into the input jack. If there is no plug connected to the input jack, the unit will not be on."

What is it I am supposed to connect here? The end of a cord with its other end attached to nothing? While I can take the statement at face value, I'm not quite sure how that would work (i.e., nothing really inputed), or if a cord with only one end attached might not add noise or RFI to the signal.

Thanks for any clarification.

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Plug one guitar into the normal input. Plug the other into either A or B. Run the output from the normal output. See what happens. Report back.

3. hading

hading Member

I think you have it right - you attach a cord (or just a plug) with nothing on the other end to the input and the guitars to the A and B returns (nothing to the A and B sends). This is necessary because the presence of a plug here turns it on or off. I don't think it will cause any problem, because no signal from that is actually going through.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep, you need a dummy plug in the input to run it like that. Advantage is you then have a level control for both guitars.

5. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I use one of these to run 2 (and sometimes 3) guitars into one amp and it works great.

When running 2, I run one guitar into the INPUT and the 2nd guitar into the A RETURN. Set the selector switch to A<>BYPASS mode. Set your amp levels using the first guitar (since it is running straight thru the bypassed pedal). Next, adjust the 2nd guitar if needed using the A Level control. Running like this eliminates the need for a dummy plug.

If using 3 guitars, plug the 3rd guitar into B RETURN and set the switch to A>B>BYPASS.

In both settings, come from the pedal's OUTPUT to the amp.
    Nothing is plugged into the SEND of either A or B.

Works great.

6. RAD44

RAD44 Member

Thanks so much for your responses. This pedal will be perfect to meet my needs (and if I'm ever ambitious enough to carry 3 guitars to a gig, now I know it can handle that too!). You guys should be writing the manuals for Boss - a lot of knowledge here. Thanks again.