Boss Metal Zone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by burner, Feb 26, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

So I was looking for a stand-alone metal box for an upcomming project and I bought a Metal Zone off another TGPer.
    All I can say is WOW! Why have I not discovered this little gem before?

Although they are geared toward a speed metal sound, they are suprisingly versatile.I haven't had a chance to run it through all it's paces yet but by all accounts so far, it's a keeper.
    I was considering picking up a ZVex Box of Metal but after playing one, I think the Metal Zone is tighter which is important to me for fast rhythms.
    Plus, it was like $35 used rather than $300.

I'm thinking of picking up another

anyone else try a Metal zone?

:RoCkIn

2. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

aww man....:D if you like it... great..but I thought it was terrible....

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

Congratulations!
    ...you know this is how it works: the next great player will reveal his secret weapon is a Metal Zone. Suddeny, everyone here is RE-THINKING everything...
    Boy, don't be afraid to use what works for you and enjoy it while it lasts.
    :dude:Devil:RoCkIn

4. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

If it works for you thats all that matters. I had one a long time ago and couldn't get anything good out of it either. But if you like the sound of the Metal Zone, you should try out a Keeley Modded Metal Zone.

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

most of the negatives I have read came from those who plugged it in, turned distortion to 6 oclock and played...LOL
    i keep distortion at 10-11 oclock and ADD some mids rather then scoop em, also crank the bass and its a great high gain pedal...does metallica real well

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i bought the vexter box of metal and dont regret it.... but maybe in the future i will get one of these as well for a smaller board...

I think that I have an old Boss Heavy Metal pedal from the 80's at home somewhere, but the footswitch/battery cover is missing... anyone know where I could get one?

7. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I've played the stock version, and didn't like it.

I then bought the Keeley modded MT-2. It made the craptacular pedal sound even more craptacular. Different strokes I guess. I won't go anywhere near an MT-2 nowadays....and I'm a Boss fan.

8. JB

JB Member

My second pedal ever. It's a one trick pony that does its one trick very well...gives you a very authentic angry bees attacking R2D2 underneath a blanket sound.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

I actually like the MT-2 for that particular sound.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

:dude:dude:RoCkIn
    thats hilarious

11. silverface

silverface Member

okay, I'm coming out as well :eek:

I own about 6 or 7 MT-2s and I love this pedal! For Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I never found a better pedal or amp. I always play it direct into my power amp. I can also recommend the Keeley version!

Best wishes,

silverface!

12. burner

burner Member

I guess it's all in how you EQ it.
    They certainly don't take the place of a good amp,IMO but it does what it's intended to well.

13. silverface

silverface Member

Just for the record: Here's a soundfile I recorded to compare two microphones (first: SM57, second:E-V ND468). Gear used: Gibson SG (Bill Lawrence L-500 PUs) -> Boss MT-2 (Keeley-Mod) -> Rocktron Velocity 120 -> 1x12 cabinet Celestion G12H30.

ShureSM57vsEV-ND468.mp3

Best wishes,

silverface.