Boss MIJ CE2 acting weird... broken?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by grey8, Feb 29, 2012.

1. grey8

grey8 Supporting Member

So, i got this really beaten down, old, cheap-priced MIJ CE2. Apparently, the previous owner didnt know what he had. He sold it for 40 bucks.

I only got to try it one time really briefly, then tried to sell it, then tried it again. The LED only works when powered in a daisy-chain (weird?), It doesnt warble, if i turn around the knobs around when the pedal is on i can hear the sound changing, but still no warble. Accidentally i hitted softly the pedal with my foot and it kinda warbled shortly, and again and again.

Any ideas on what could it be?

Thanks!

2. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

3. cheameup

cheameup Member

well they all only work daisy chained cause they are 12v I belielve. I can run mine off PP2+ at 12v or daisey chained

4. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

Another good thing to check would be if the pedal behaved the same on battery power, or just on the AC, but given your description, it seems you could have a cold solder joint, or a bridged connection somewhere inside. (good places to check are pots and jacks, and make sure they aren't grounding on the circuit board/metal housing)

As others have mentioned, The CE-2 used a ACA adaptor which was an unregulated 12 volt supply. There is a Zener diode, and a resistor inside the pedal which was placed in the circuit to give the pedals the 9 volts they wanted to see. (These can be removed and jumpered if you wanted to convert it to stand alone 9v operation) Putting the ACA pedals in a power daisy chain with other 9v pedals effectively bypasses the voltage limiting components as all the pedals in the daisy chain share a common ground. It's a great chorus when it's working properly.. Hope this helps! :)

5. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

yeah, needs 12v, or daisy chained with a buffered pedal before it.

6. GaryE

GaryE Member

If there is no warble ,open it up and check to see if the lugs on the depth and speed pots are touching the inside of the case, the pot may have spun a bit and grounded out the lug.

7. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Not true dudes, they run on a battery. It only needs 12v if you're using a PSU.

OP, have you tried it with a battery?

+ 1. Check all wires are attached. i recently picked up a nice condition 80s TS-9 and a wire had snapped off the tone pot.

8. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

yeah hit it with 12v, or put it in a 9v daisy chain. or try a battery.

9. grey8

grey8 Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. The pedal does not works with a 9v battery... it does turns on when daisy-chained. Still havent found "the" problem.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

It's got to be opened. There is no question. I have an old one and the footswitch died. Smallbear sells those...easier than trying take the switch apart and clean it. You're in luck in that they're comparitively easy to work on. It may have more than one problem.