Boss MS-3 Tips, Tricks & Settings Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. Limbic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

I used the LIGHT mode.

pixelyzed likes this.
  2. pixelyzed

pixelyzed Member

Awesome thanks! That's the one I've been using most as well as it sounds most natural to me.

thesooze likes this.
  3. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

Hi - MS3 newbie here - so far, loving this thing, but having a hard time with one thing. I sold off a Boss PS 5 Harmonist to help fund the MS3. I'm trying to set up the expression pedal to act as a whammy "dive bomb" dropping an octave. Think Black Keys "Lonely Boy" (the only song I used the harmonist pedal for) . I've tried various things using FX1 - pitch bend, S-bend, but having trouble getting the expression pedal to do the bend. Id be happy to get any of the switches to do this at this point. Thanks in advance - learning a ton from this thread already. Cheers.

4. jota

jota Member

I do that with an octave. Just set the switch of the octave to MOMENT instead of TOGGLE and hit the switch when you want it to go down. Release it to go up.

5. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

Thanks for the quick reply! - I tired it and it works - sort of - but it goes straight to the low octave when I hit the button, when I want it to "bend" down to the octave?

6. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I use my expression pedal to do that with the MS-3.

7. Phil_Mayger

Phil_Mayger Member

Use S Bend, it has adjustable rise and fall times. You have to trigger it by assigning the FX1/2 trigger to a switch - not the FX1/2 on/off function.

8. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

OK, thanks. I'm not quite getting it though. I'm getting a little baffled with the Controls section. Ive read the manuals, watched the videos, but someone kind soul may need to step-by-step this for me? Feeling stumped.

9. jota

jota Member

I don't have the MS-3 with me right now but I have the editor. try this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you should be able to have an octave down everytime you hit NUM 1 switch.

the swede and Kingpin2 like this.
  10. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

Worked - Thanks so much! There is a lot of control in this thing - thanks again for all the help everyone!

Phil_Mayger and jota like this.
  11. jaime136

jaime136 Supporting Member

Has anyone had any success going for a stereo detune sound? Just trying to get the "standard" +/- 9 cents or so with a couple of milliseconds of delay. There doesn't appear to be a detune module on the chorus effect, so what's the best way to go about it? Maybe the pitch shifter?

12. thesooze

thesooze Member

Yeah there's some fine tuning in there, if memory serves.

13. hatren

hatren Member

The parameter manual says that the Chorus is already a detune effect. So just set it to Stereo 2 and the depth to 0, and you'll get a really nice stereo doubler.

the swede and jaime136 like this.
  14. jaime136

jaime136 Supporting Member

Excellent! I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

15. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

Me again. When I first got the MS3, I was basically getting for the modulations delays and for that reason, I have it running through the effects loop of my amp. This works well, and I have a couple of favourite drive pedals running in front of my amp ( I have a main crunch tone from an SD1, and a cleanish boost with a Soul Food for leads), so basically its a 4 cable method. Works fine, but...

Hearing good things about the drives in the MS3, I tried a few, like the Guvnor, the Tube Screamer and the Blues OD - I tend to like a good crunch with a boost for leads. They all sound good -really good - when I first turn them on at the default settings - BUT, a problem I have is achieving unity gain - the drives add so much boost, when I dial back the master level to get unity with my clean signal, I lose a lot of the character of the drive.

Here is what I think is happening - running the MS3 drives through the preamp since I have my MS3 going in and out of my effects loop means I have to push everything harder to get the power tubes to react to the extra gain.

So I think I need to reconfigure. I really do like the sound of my MS3 modulations and delays running into my amp effects loop. Is there a way using 4CM that I can still do that and have the drives (internal MS3 drives and my externasl ones hitting my amps front end or power section directly? Im only using one of the MS3 loops so far, my Fuzz sounds better in it.

I'm hoping to keep my SD1 and my Soul Food out of the MS3s loops.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

16. elbandito

elbandito Member

Here's something that I cannot for the life of me figure out: As a bassist using the MS3, I sometimes need to run the clean signal alongside my effects, as some of you guitarists might do with reverb.

Now, if one is using the internal effects, this is already an option for most things. BUT! If I'm trying to use the external effects that I have in the loops, this doesn't seem to be a possibility. Can this truly be the case?! I can live with not being able to change the order of the effects in the loop, but I can't even blend my clean signal in? I've been thinking about wasting a loop and just using a cable to jump the in & out so that I have an empty loop but it doesn't look like I can even blend the volume between the individual loops.

Am I missing something, or is this just not the pedal for me? Thanks!

17. the swede

the swede Member

No, you cant blend you clean signal with one of the loops. There are effects inside the ms-3 wich has blend functions though.

18. jota

jota Member

Look at it this way: if you was not using the MS-3 and your pedals didn't had a clean blend, you would not be able of doing it anyway, right?

19. elbandito

elbandito Member

Yes I would. I had an Xotic X-Blender that I used and sold, in part, to fund this junk.

Looks like I'm headed back to the store.

20. jota

jota Member

Sorry but you should have known how that junk worked before buying it!
    Too bad it didn't work for you.