• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss MS-3 Tips, Tricks & Settings Thread

ratedepth

Silver Supporting Member
I use the MS3 with my Friedman Runt 20 with channel switching. It has been working fine and has now all of the sudden stopped working. Ive tried the MS3 with a couple different amps with no luck so the switching issue is within the MS3. Not sure if this happened after an update to the unit or not. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a possible workaround / reset that may exist that anyone knows of? Thanx!

Same as above...Just to eliminate possible variables, have you tried changing TRS cables and the various Ctl Out settings? Reverse polarity, etc?

Babelfisch

Can you post a photo of the problem? Far as I know, there are no white lights on the MS-3, so I’m unsure what you’re asking about about.

What are you trying to control with Ctl Out? Assuming your using the right cable (TRS), have you tried the various Ctl Out setting? Reverse polarity, etc?

Sorry I was talking about the editor, not the device. Ctl Out worked with TRS doesn't work after moving the rehearsal place, tried different cable, different amp, all settings.

Soulgolem

the Boss DM-2W analog delay has an input jack for “rate”, can you connect the MS-3’s CTLOUT 1 or 2 to the DM-2W’s rate input to control the rate position per patch ? so as to have different delay times changing along with patches. thanks

apeekaboo

has everyone moved on to the new thing already ? :D
No, I just got me an MS-3 a few months ago. I'm trying to catch up in this thread, so I'm reading reading it from both the beginning and the end... Lots of cool and useful tips, like the settings for organ sounds.

My guess is most people have learned what they need to make the unit do what they want. For me, the MS-3 replaced an AMT GR-4 loop switcher and a Strymon Mobius. Sure the Mobius had some better modulation sounds, but the MS-3 makes up for this in versatility of amp control and MIDI capability, and also freed up some pedalboard real estate. I don't use the dirt sounds in the MS-3 at all... I love my dirt pedals to much.

doghouseman

Still getting used to the ME3. It looks like the third knob on the ME3 will change the patch volume. But do I have to save the patch volume with every change? I change my pedal mix volumes a lot at gigs to fit a room. I am not sure i want to have to hit the ‘edit save’ buttons every time i make a volume patch level change. Any ideas?

iNomis

Still getting used to the ME3. It looks like the third knob on the ME3 will change the patch volume. But do I have to save the patch volume with every change? I change my pedal mix volumes a lot at gigs to fit a room. I am not sure i want to have to hit the ‘edit save’ buttons every time i make a volume patch level change. Any ideas?
You can change the function of the three knobs. One choice is probably master volume, there is a big list to choose from.

doghouseman

looks like I can only control the master EQ level, but not change a patch level and then have it stay that level without making an edit to the patch.

Boss should look at how the Zoom MS50 works. The Zoom has three knobs that correspond to the typical settings effects. So if you are selecting distortion, the three knobs will be volume, drive and tone. So, you can make quick adjustments to these three levels for any effect AND these levels are saved even though you might select another effect.

bhustan

Folks, quick question on volume boosts for solos. I have everything at around unity gain with patch levels set to 100 and Global EQ untouched. Sounds great. Let’s say I want a 5db boost for solos, to really cut through in my twin-guitar rock band. Would you...

1. Jump the patch level up to 180 for lead work (pushing the amp harder)?
2. Knock all patch levels down, and just push the lead patch back up (to unity gain)?
3. Lower the Global EQ, essentially doing the same as option 2?

I’m worried at gig levels whether option 1 will just end up clipping/distorting, rather than providing a true volume boost. Thanks.

I fought this same struggle and recently found a solution that I like. It requires using an FX block. Add a G-EQ to the FX block of your choice(I use FX2). Put this block absolutely last in your chain within the MS-3. I set a slight mid-hump EQ curve, and about a 3-5 db boost for the level. I assign this to a dedicated switch (NUM 1-4 or FS-7) for easy access. Try it out...might help? It solved my boost challenges and avoided tap dancing on a separate standalone booster.

doghouseman

Does the 4 cable method allow me to use the ms3 delays in my amp’s effects loop and use the ms3’s distortions in front of the amp???

guitarchitect

Gold Supporting Member
Does the 4 cable method allow me to use the ms3 delays in my amp’s effects loop and use the ms3’s distortions in front of the amp???

Yes. I do this in the loop of my Mesa Mark V and it works perfectly. I put certain Mod effects, Delays and Reverb in the loop.

I've done some testing with the loop bypass and putting the MS-3 into a true bypass loop pedal. I couldn't hear any tone loss comparing in real time. Others with better eats may hear some. The only downside is that the 3 loops in the MS-3 move as a block, so you don't have total flexibility where you place pedals relative to the built in effects and the amp's preamp. But you can absolutely do what you are asking about.

doghouseman

Yes. I do this in the loop of my Mesa Mark V and it works perfectly. I put certain Mod effects, Delays and Reverb in the loop.

I've done some testing with the loop bypass and putting the MS-3 into a true bypass loop pedal. I couldn't hear any tone loss comparing in real time. Others with better eats may hear some. The only downside is that the 3 loops in the MS-3 move as a block, so you don't have total flexibility where you place pedals relative to the built in effects and the amp's preamp. But you can absolutely do what you are asking about.

not sure how i could do this. my understanding was that anything in the 3 loops needed to be an external pedal. so i can’t use an internal delay in the 3 loops.

doghouseman

not sure how i could do this. my understanding was that anything in the 3 loops needed to be an external pedal. so i can’t use an internal delay in the 3 loops.

actually, I get it now. Looks like the 4 cable method lets you pipe in the pre amp into the chain of the MS3. So stuff before the pre amp in the MS3 chain can be distortion, and stuff after the pre amp in the MS3 chain, can be delay.

guitarchitect

Gold Supporting Member
actually, I get it now. Looks like the 4 cable method lets you pipe in the pre amp into the chain of the MS3. So stuff before the pre amp in the MS3 chain can be distortion, and stuff after the pre amp in the MS3 chain, can be delay.

Yes, exactly - this is the core concept of the 4CM and the MS-3 supports it very well. The other feature that works well is using the MS-3 to channel switch your amp.

doghouseman

Yes, exactly - this is the core concept of the 4CM and the MS-3 supports it very well. The other feature that works well is using the MS-3 to channel switch your amp.

Yes. i want to do this too. i think i can use an external foot switch for this? Since i will be using the 4 toggle switches for delay and distortion i am hoping an external latch footswitch will work???

qwerty

Yes, it's designed that way, and for more than one switch, eg the Boss FS-7 for two extra switches.

doghouseman

Yes, it's designed that way, and for more than one switch, eg the Boss FS-7 for two extra switches.

Is there a way to switch amp channels in manual mode not in patch mode??? i can’t get the same switching to work in manual mode for some reason.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom