Boss Needs a Mini Pedal Line

JipThePeople

I like what Boss has been doing with their Waza Craft line and their stompbox design is the greatest switch design in history. However, Boss is losing sales to other pedal companies because they do not offer a smaller footprint (i.e., a mini pedal line of pedals). I am currently in the market for a tremolo pedal, but due to pedalboard space, it has to be a mini pedal, ruling out the Boss tremolo.

If Boss is to offer a mini pedal line, they MUST keep their classic switch design. I have only found one company that offers a Boss-style switch in a mini pedal: Valeton.

http://www.valeton.net/html/en/index.php?ac=article&at=list&tid=21

Boss would make a big dent in the mini pedal market if they would offer a mini pedal design and most big pedal companies have already started offering mini pedals. But to my knowledge, there are no rumors or online chatter about a Boss mini line. Thoughts?

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if that switch in the link is a true boss style other than the "look" of it.

It would be interesting to see though.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I would not mind seeing this from Boss at all. That having been said, the Valeton pedals are a great stopgap. I believe they have only released 4 so far. I have the SD-10 (SD-1 clone) and a FB-10 (FA-1 clone) and they are both fantastic. I may have to check out the delay and the chorus too, based on how good the first two sound. :)

I sure would like a RV-6 mini, though! :drool

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Not sure if that switch in the link is a true boss style other than the "look" of it.

It would be interesting to see though.
I have not opened mine up to look at the switch design, but the Valetons certainly act and feel like Boss-style switches.

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a fan of mini pedals, but I don't think it would be a good move for Boss, and I doubt their bottom-line is being much affected by not having a mini line. Those Valetons look wider than the usual mini size, but it's hard to tell from a picture...

Mr2D

No they don't. It's a bad plan. Lots of other people are already in that game and Boss already has the perfect form factor. If I could rehouse all my single pedals in Boss boxes, I'd be very happy.

I'd be intrigued to know why you think Boss is losing sales? The reverb article shared on here the other day showed (at least on there) Boss is still easily the biggest game in town. They're releasing new, generally interesting stuff regularly and there will be millions of guitarists not wedded to forums who have never needed to look beyond Boss.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I'm a fan of mini pedals, but I don't think it would be a good move for Boss, and I doubt their bottom-line is being much affected by not having a mini line. Those Valetons look wider than the usual mini size, but it's hard to tell from a picture...
I haven't actually measured mine, but, subjectively, they seem a touch wider (maybe 5mm or so) wider than a standard mini enclosure. They are still quite compact, though.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
I would rather see a switchable bypass between buffered and true bypass for every pedal than a mini pedal line. Boss already has this bypass for their tu-3W, so it can be done.

Reactions: rck

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
No they don't. It's a bad plan. Lots of other people are already in that game and Boss already has the perfect form factor. If I could rehouse all my single pedals in Boss boxes, I'd be very happy.

I'd be intrigued to know why you think Boss is losing sales? The reverb article shared on here the other day showed (at least on there) Boss is still easily the biggest game in town. They're releasing new, generally interesting stuff regularly and there will be millions of guitarists not wedded to forums who have never needed to look beyond Boss.

Yep, not sure why some folks keep bemoaning poor Boss and how they are losing out. I posted a thread about that Reverb article a few days ago. Guess hardly anybody was reading it. As it says, Boss is leading in number of orders and overall gross. They are nearly 50% higher by percentage market share than their closest competitor.
https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2016

jaymeister

I'm sure they have probably considered it, but not every creative idea makes business sense once the accountants get done with it.

I mean, those who would want to "see" it happen, are probably a much larger crowd than those who would put their money down to support it in a way that would be profitable.

Their current form factor is tried and true...bulletproof and likely very affordable for them to mass produce without a ton of defects.

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
65803226.jpg

JipThePeople

Yep, not sure why some folks keep bemoaning poor Boss and how they are losing out. I posted a thread about that Reverb article a few days ago. Guess hardly anybody was reading it. As it says, Boss is leading in number of orders and overall gross. They are nearly 50% higher by percentage market share than their closest competitor.
https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2016

I am not doubting that Boss has a large part of the market share, but mini pedals are here to stay, they are not a fad. They allow you pack more functionality in a smaller space and we are in an era where guitarists are looking for more portable rigs and this applies not only to combo amps but pedals as well.

It may not ultimately be a great idea for Boss to produce mini pedals. All I know is that in the last 24 months, I have been in the market for various pedals and one of the criteria was it had to be a mini pedal (e.g. Mooer size) due to space constraints. As a result, a solution involving a Boss was immediately ruled out and I am a fan of Boss pedals. Boss has the best form factor out there and it was just my suggestion that they could a larger portion of the pedal market if they kept the form factor and circuits, but offered them in a smaller size.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom