BOSS Nextone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkharper, Nov 15, 2018.

1. andythetee

andythetee Member

Had a Nextone Stage delivered today. Still breaking it in but I am very happy with it. Having been a happy K100 user it does feel like a step up. The 6l6 setting is easy to dial in a great blackface sound which was what I was after. I've only had a brief play with the editor but there is lots of adjustments. I hope there are some firmware updates as there is only one custom setting that can be edited and saved and it would be nice to be able to do more. Even as it is though it will be more than acceptable. Its plenty loud enough for me. There's seems plenty of clean headroom to me. I don't forsee a situation I'm likely to ever be in that it won't be loud enough for

Kidcotton and guitarman3001 like this.
  2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I'm still very happy with mine. I might even try to use it for a gig one of these days.

andythetee likes this.
  3. 03hal

03hal Member

I'm enjoying mine. No complaints from the audience so far, but then again the cats aren't exactly picky about tone.

fretless, Deadpool_25 and andythetee like this.
  4. dswo

dswo Member

Me too.

5. jcmusic

jcmusic Member

Picked one up for a few days and took it back. Sounds much nicer & more natural than the Katana noodling at low volumes - I have a Kat50 practice amp but TBH dislike everything but the clean. Thought it would be a nice light grab & go, but it just wasn't working at volume. Kinda liked it, would make a nice amp for a student budget, but I already have a practice amp. If you're one of those that is always on the tonequest, this probably isn't for you. At this point in my life, it's all about the tone though, ... so sticking w/ 10" combo with tubes for my grab & go.

fretless likes this.
  6. jcmusic

jcmusic Member

What 10" combo amp, guitar(s), and pedal(s)? Thanks.
    Signed,
    Katana 50 user[/QUOTE]

Hi Peppy, it's a Supro Supreme 16 (25-watt/34lbs) - really small, Princeton-sized (easy to carry) but really loud. Easily uber to the gig. I'm playing a Warmoth Tele, and typically use comp>boost>od>tape echo. Currently Origin Effects Cali76, Tumnus mini, Lovepedal Eternity, Empress Tape Delay. Hard to believe its a little 10"combo; sounds great when pushed & moving air, but still incredibly loud. Was considering modding & adding a PPIMV or F/X loop, but may just run a Fryette/Waza attenuator.

Peppy likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Just traded in a K100C and a few cabs and got a Nextone Artist. Huge step up imo (should be for price difference I guess). I had to dig into BTS with the Katana but the NA sounds great right out of the box. I connected an RV-6 to the FX loop. For home practice I’m not sure I need much else.

8. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Still hoping for a Nextone head

9. jds22

jds22 Member

Question about Stage vs Artist.
    I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this thread but is there much of a difference in tone between the two?
    I only play at home at low volumes so I don't need 80 watts but if the bigger cabinet sounds better, or at least more full and not boxy, then I'll pay the extra amount.
    I'm also not opposed to replacing the speaker if needed.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  10. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I only have experience with the Stage but I owned the Blues Cube Artist for a couple of years, during which time it was my main stage amp.
    I don't find the Stage boxy at all, even in a band mix. The artist might sound a bit bigger but for playing at home, save your money.

Out of curiosity I plugged the Stage into a very large 1x12 cab with a greenback (much bigger than the Artist cab). I expected it to sound bigger but honestly, I way preferred the amp through it's own speaker. Buy the Artist if you need the extra power. But unless you play in a loud rock band, I can't see needing it. The Stage is plenty loud as well. When I was gigging my BCA, it had 80 watts and I almost always used the 15 watt setting, so there ya go.

Peppy and Caprica like this.
  11. Caprica

Caprica Member

So what are your thoughts on the BCA vs the nextone?

12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I owned a BCA and now own a Nextone. The Nextone is a much better sounding and more versatile amp.

13. drew365

drew365 Supporting Member

I'll give you mine. I've owned a BCA for well over two years. I've spent a lot of time with the stock amp, UBTC and NYBTC. I bought a Nextone Artist just to see if the grass was greener and planned on only keeping one of them. I had them side by side for about two weeks. I sent the Nextone back, but not because it was any weaker of an amp. They are both very capable, but it was easier for me to send the Nextone back, since it didn't offer a huge advantage, than to try to sell the BCA. I felt that by using the editor that I could get a larger variety of tones from the Nextone. But one thing I really like about the BCA is it's simplicity. I have a Helix for when I want to tweak. The BCA is a nice compromise for when I just want to play an amp and a couple of pedals. If I didn't have the BCA, I would have kept the Nextone.

14. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

It's tough to give the edge to one or the other. Both are quality products. I do believe that ultimately, the BCA is a slightly higher quality amp on paper. As I understand it, the discrete output stages are more expensive to manufacture and the quality of the cabinet is first class (though the tolex is pretty soft). But out in the real world, what it's going to come down to is the very specific character you most enjoy. The stock BCA sounds like a good tweed Fender and does the full range of tweed breakup at any volume, making it one of the very best choices for a practical way to use those sounds. IOW, a Bassman might be slightly more authentic (though whether you'd hear it in a mix is another thing), but wouldn't have any of the flexibility of the BCA. To get close to those sounds, you'd have to crank the Bassman to brutal volume levels. In the BCA's stock, tweedish, form, the two channels work great together, sounding like the same amp played with different stages of gain. I tried the UBTC in an effort to get better blackface type tones. The problem, for me, was it made the two channels sound like two different amps. This works great for a lot of players, with the clean channel having a lot of headroom and the gain channel able to get quite saturated and Marshally.

The Nextone I find has more of the almost blackface Fender sounds available via the clean channel, while still retaining a similar character when moving to the lead channel. This is useful to me, since I've spent a lifetime playing traditional single channel amps and what I really was after is an amp that will sound pushed without resorting to pedals, which always sound a little artificial to me. With the Nextone, I can set up a slightly pushed sound on the clean channel very easily. In fact, I've learned the more you crank the master, the more driven the clean channel gets, just like cranking a tube amp. So between the channel volume and the master I can dial in just how much edge-of-breakup I want on the clean channel. I can then set up the lead channel to be medium gain, which when I turn down the guitar volume, sounds almost exactly like the clean channel full up. This is pretty much ideal for live work. Also, the Nextone, while not full of effects like the Katanas, does have built in delay. So I can add just a taste of slapback which is very cool for when I'm playing trio. Then there's the four "power tube" settings, which are a great way to fine tune the response to the guitar. I tend to prefer the 6V6 setting with Fenders, and the 6L6 with humbucker guitars.

So the short answer is, I don't think one is superior to the other, I think it's all about what sort of sounds you're after. Given the price difference though, I'd have to say the Nextone is a steal.

Peppy, presence, Jabberwocky and 5 others like this.
  15. MDK2323

MDK2323 Member

Just picked up a Nextone Stage used off of the GC website for $350. Had it shipped to my local GC store. Sounds fantastic right out of the box. I also ordered a footswitch which comes Monday.

These can be found used for a really decent price if you look around for a while.

I'm very satisfied with it, not looking back.

presence and fretless like this.
  16. MartinC

MartinC Member

I got a chance to try a Nextone Artist today. By no means an extensive test, and I wasn't able to play it at anything louder than "home" volume. What I did hear and feel though, I really, really liked. As others before have said, the difference between the "tube" types is subtle, but on all of them, I got a really balanced, very detailed but easy on the ear tone ... without really trying. Twisting the eq knobs through their ranges gave a broad range of tone, the majority of which was usable. I can't say that about my Katana Artist, which is much more sensitive to tiny tweaks and which can produce tone that's not usable quite easily. I have to say, the Nextone is much more my cup of tea from that perspective.

I came straight home and plugged into my KA to get a bit of a reference back to it from the Nextone. I got into the zone ok, but I think the Nextone felt a bit better under my fingers. Lately, I'm finding that I don't use any of the effects on the KA besides reverb and delay, so the ease with which the Nextone gave up its goods with only the amp controls has really got me scratching my chin.

17. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

Me too!

18. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

The foot controller takes the amp to another level. You have access to the two channels plus the Boost and Tone options with a tap of your foot.You can get a variety of gain with out needing any pedals.
    And if you do add pedals, they take them well

19. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

This ^

I tried the Nextone Artist out against the Katana 50 at Sweetwater Gearfest - the Katana has some very good tones but they remind of a modeling amp a little (plus the tones are geared a little toward hard rock +)

The Nextone really impressed me with the feel of the amp and the overall sparkle and bloom of the tone - honestly felt better than some tube amps I've played. However, I noticed very little difference between the 4 power-amps - you had to be listening for it.

The key question I have is whether the Katana can sound close to the Nextone on the 'Clean' and 'Crunch' channels through some of the 'sneaky amp' mods etc in which case it's a better value proposition.

Also, there seems to be some confusion in this thread about this - from what I've read the Katana is a traditional modeling amp - i.e. digital modeling fed into power amp. The Nextone is analog modeling all the way (perhaps digital for effects, control etc. but actual tone is analog)

20. juanffz

juanffz Member

Wow, 2.0 firmware has been unveiled. Boss always delivers. New functions look great and those presets sound terrific...