BOSS Nextone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkharper, Nov 15, 2018.

1. dswo

dswo Member

Download the editor and firmware updates here: https://www.boss.info/us/products/nextone_stage/downloads/

What's new, according to p. 1 of the editor manual, https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/Nextone_editor_eng02_W.pdf

New Functions in Nextone Editor Ver.2

PRE AMP
    CH EQ is now provided before the preamp (PRE AMP IN) and after the preamp (PRE AMP OUT). Also, a graphic equalizer has been added (p. 15) in addition to the existing parametric equalizer.

POWER AMP
    CHARACTER SHAPE is now provided for each type. Also, EXTRA HEADROOM has been added. EXTRA HEADROOM can be set only if POWER CONTROL is set to MAX.

EFFECTS
    The parameters of each effect can now be set individually for the CLEAN and LEAD channels.

SYSTEM EQ
    A graphic equalizer has been added (p. 18) in addition to the existing parametric equalizer.

PRESET PATCHES
    Twenty-one new preset patches have been added in Ver.2 (P01–P21). The preset patches of Ver.1 have moved to P22–P33.

LIBRARIAN
    A LIBRARIAN function has been added. Now you can save (IMPORT) all the Nextone’s user patches to the LIBRARIAN as a liveset, or restore (EXPORT) a saved liveset back into the user patches. A liveset saved in the LIBRARIAN can also be exported to your computer, or a liveset exported to your computer can be loaded into the Nextone editor’s library
    Preset patch list, from the same manual:

[New]
    P01 NEXTONE CUSTOM2
    P02 BRIT LEAD
    P03 BRIT BOOST
    P04 BRIT COMBO
    P05 SMALL EL84
    P06 MODERN EL84
    P07 BRIT STACK
    P08 DIRTY EL34
    P09 MODERN BOOST
    P10 DIRTY DRIVE EL34
    P11 ALTERNATIVE
    P12 DIRTY DRIVE
    P13 SMALL 6V6
    P14 CLASSIC 6V6
    P15 AMERICAN COMBO
    P16 AMERICAN 6V6
    P17 AMERICAN CLASSIC
    P18 CLEAN 6L6
    P19 DIRTY 6L6
    P20 BRIT 6L6
    P21 DIRTY BOOST

[Old]
    P22 NEXTONE CUSTOM
    P23 6V6 TWEED
    P24 BLACK P 6V6
    P25 CLEAN TWIN
    P26 SUPER CLEAN
    P27 UK CLEAN
    P28 TOP BOOST
    P29 EL34 CRUNCH
    P30 UK DRIVE
    P31 TWEED LEAD
    P32 MODERN DRIVE
    P33 EL84 LEAD
    Mentioned in the video but not the above-quoted changelog, an expanded menu of boost options (as described on p. 15):

CLEAN BOOST Produces a clean tone that has punch.
    MID BOOST A booster with unique characteristics in the midrange. Produces sound suitable for solos.
    TREBLE BOOST A booster that has bright characteristics.
    CLASSIC DRIVE A natural drive sound.
    METAL DRIVE This is distortion sound that is ideal for performances of heavy riffs.
    VINTAGE BOOST A weighty drive sound.
    OCT BOOST A fuzz sound with rich harmonic content.
    BLUES DRIVE This produces distortion that faithfully reproduces the nuances of picking.
    OVER DRIVE This produces sweet, mild distortion.
    DISTORTION This gives a basic, traditional distortion sound.
    COMP This is an effect that produces a long sustain by evening out the volume level of the input signal.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Elantric and Luke V like this.
  2. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I havne't touched the editor since the week I got the amp (back around christmas) and I've been enjoying it. Today at random I did a google search to see if there were any updates and I see the video above was just posted today. The updates look great. I'm looking forward to experimenting with them when I have time.

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The video of Burgs sounds really good. I think Boss might have kinda nailed it now. It even seems to bring it with high gain too. Dare I say it, it’s like a combined Katana and BC in one with better cleans, breakup and drive tones than either amp.

BuckshotJenkins likes this.
  4. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

That new video really made me want to get the Nextone again. I had a BCA but couldn’t make both channels compatible, yet I still think I’d like another crack at it. I played the Nextone Stage quickly and most certainly stock at a store a few months ago, and thought the distortion was so much gainier (if wanted) and sharper, and lined up miles better with the clean channel. I imagine that tweaking it can only improve it. I believe I’m over the threshold that the Artist is a good idea for a “simple plus” SS combo amp, and I’ll pull the trigger in the coming weeks.

5. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

OMG is bret on boss's payroll now?:confused:

still trying and Lef T like this.
  6. dswo

dswo Member

Bug report: version 2.01 firmware makes the built-in compressor not work. I'm assuming this will be fixed, but if you rely on the built-in compressor (which can substitute for a boost on the custom channel, using the editor software), you might want to wait.

exactopposite likes this.
  7. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Well that's disappointing. I use the compressor on the clean channel. I'll have to wait till they fix it before updating mine.

8. dswo

dswo Member

Nice, though, that we will (soon?) be able to have a compressor on the clean channel and some other type of boost or distortion on the lead.

dellerton likes this.
  9. dswo

dswo Member

More bugs and undocumented changes are surfacing. I recommend that people hold off on the new (v2.01) firmware until Boss issues a fix.

Bug or unwelcome behavior. Previously, the custom channel remembered the last state of the tone, boost, and reverb settings. If you had reverb at 50% the last time you switched the amp off, it was back to 50% when you switched the amp on again. That doesn't happen anymore; if the preset has boost on and reverb 0%, then the custom channel will reload those settings the next time you turn the amp on. I see the logic, but the previous way was more intuitive and "amp-like."

Bug. I was editing the new P04 preset ("British Combo") so that it would have reverb at my preferred 50% (a workaround for the new behavior described above) and use tape delay instead of the Vox-like tremolo. THE DELAY DOESN'T WORK WHEN YOU TURN IT ON. If you have the editor connected and switch to Analog delay it works. If you switch back from Analog to Tape, the delay works. But if you turn the amp off, unplug the editor, and turn the amp back on, there is no way to get delay.

10. jds22

jds22 Member

Really interested in these amps. About ready to pull the trigger but is there any reason to think there might be something new at summer NAMM?
    With these being so new and a new firmware dropping I'm thinking there won't be anything new showing up this summer.

11. dswo

dswo Member

Ed Lim, a Boss representative on the Nextone Facebook group, says, "Hi guys, just to report back - this behaviour is intended and not a bug."

12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I wonder if the broken compressor is also intended.

:confused

13. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I messed around with the editor briefly when I first got the amp was but I felt like options were limited. I just used the default 6v6 or 6l6 setting ever since.

I spent a little time checking out the new settings in the Nextone Editor and I really like the expanded options. It's definitely a more powerful tool than it was previously. it wasn't bad before but I didn't feel particularly compelled to use it. I've actually made a couple of presets that I like with the newer settings. The expanded selection of dirt/boost pedals is welcome as well as the ability to use a different kind of boost for each channel. The "character shape" is a very nice option as well. I'm not one who is interested in doing endless tweaking to the settings but the options are there for the tweakers among us. . The simplicity is one of the things that attracted me to this amp in the first place. I do think the updated settings make it an even more compelling amp.

14. still trying

still trying Member

I just ordered a new Nextone Stage 40 watt amp

I have watched a lot of videos but they only give you a certain amount of audio and visual information. Being out here in the back hills of West Virginia I don't have any way to try one first so I rolled dice.

What I'd like to know is how really true or as close as it can get, being a SS amp even with an analog power circuit , to a real 40W tube amp as far as articulation, feel, sag, resonance, volume and tone?

Also can any of the Tube Logic modules be used in the Nextone amps ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  15. still trying

still trying Member

I have a Boss Katana 50 W combo and it is nice but as a solid state amp it has its virtues and its drawbacks like most SS amps.

From what I've read here about the Nextone 40 W combo it's sort of a uniquely different combination of the Katana and the Blues Cube series amps.
    Some years ago I had an early edition of the 60 watt Blues Cube and if my memory serves me correctly it was a nice SS amp.

It would be nice to hear from any current owners of the Nextone 40 W combo as to the questions that I had in the post above

16. still trying

still trying Member

I guess I should have mentioned that I was only looking for a smaller wattage solid state amp for just noodling around at home.

Being retired from playing for money it's really all I think I need for my purpose. I have a vintage Vibrolux Reverb and a Marshall tube amp if I feel I need that tube feel and tone.

Just don't always like to have to turn it up to get the tone I am looking for.

17. jds22

jds22 Member

Anxious to hear your thoughts once you get the Stage.

I'm going to pull the trigger on one later this week. Was stuck on the fence between getting the artist or stage but decided on the stage due to my needs and cost. From what others have said at low in home volumes the stage will be fine. My only concern is about the small cabinet sounding boxy but I've been told it doesn't.

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I am wondering about the Stage. I want an amp and don't play live (maybe once every few years). Ideally, I want to split my signal from my modeller to PA and use an amp simply for monitoring (at worst, mic the amp). (I also own a Marshall 2X10 combo that weighs a ton. That's what I used to use when i was in my 20s and actively played in bands).

Unlike the Katanas and Blues Cube, the featureset between the nextones are virtually identical:

Left is Stage / Right is Artist
    (differences highlighted)
    [​IMG]

The size and weight of the Stage is extremely tempting, but I do want something that sounds really good on stage on a chair behind me that cuts through the mix (I am not worried about it in a rehearsal studio).

I own a Roland Cube 60 modelling amp that has worked awesome for me for 13 years but I'm starting to worry that it may be dying as sometimes (extremely sporadically) the sound will fade out and back in like someone turned on a slow sinewave tremolo for one cycle.

The stage looks really good, as does the artist. I'd mostly use it as a powered speaker for my floor modeller, using cab simulation for the PA to audience. Or maybe the Line out in the back!

19. still trying

still trying Member

Moe45673, you are correct. From what I've read and what I have seen the 2 amplifiers are exactly the same except for the power amps being 40 and 80 watts and I believe they use the exact same speaker so beside the cabinet size, the weight and the power amp rating their the exact same amp.

If I was to guess looking at the model number of the speaker I would guess that the speaker is made by Celestion . Of course I could be wrong for sure.

20. still trying

still trying Member

Jds22, I agree I don't think it's going to sound boxy but if it does by some chance sound somewhat that way being it is a solid state amplifier I'll just build a plate to cover the back and enclosed the cabinet. That should help also with a little added low end