BOSS Nextone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkharper, Nov 15, 2018.

1. still trying

still trying Member

Since at this point I only play for my own enjoyment anymore I felt the stage model would be more than enough for my needs

Once I set an amplifier in place I don't move it so the weight of the artist was not a major concern, what was of interest to me the most was I certainly didn't need 80 watts of power
    because in a 14 x 24 room I am fairly certain the 40 watt model will be loud enough.

When I consider over all the years that I've been playing and all the maintenance costs and tube replacement Costs on all my tube amps and how I do like some of the features of my Katana 50 combo, I was thinking this Nextone Stage might be worth a try.

I will post my initial impressions after I receive it. It's supposed to arrive on Tuesday

2. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

I am hoping (but not expecting) they release a head version of the Nextone. Maybe at Summer NAMM.

Steve Hotra, Lution and BenB123 like this.
  3. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

The 40 watt is plenty loud. I enjoy mine. I think you will be happy. I am considering changing my speaker that is the only thing I think could make it even better.

4. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

Has anyone else tried this? I'm really wondering how much a speaker change to something like a Celestion Creamback or maybe even the Neo Creamback (lighter!) would improve this amp.

5. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I ordered a Creamback Neo and a Celestion A Type to try

Mookyshoots likes this.
  6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Just following up - I was worried about the Stage vs the Artist partially due to the fairly high cost of the Artist relative to the Stage (at least in Canada). Additionally, I didn't want a big heavy amp to carry around and I am somewhat upset that the Katana 100 combo doesn't perform well in various settings. I love the size and weight of the K-100 and when I looked at the K-Artist in the store, I was just like "heck no. Too big, too heavy".

Then I decided to compare the specs and this is what I got.

[​IMG]

So the NT-Artist is slightly bigger and heavier than a Katana-100 112 combo. Wow. I really hope this guy sounds good when I try it out!

7. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

Why wouldnt you consider a tube amp at this price?

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

The HRD volume comparison is a bit unfair. Fender stubbornly CONTINUES to use a linear volume pot on the HR amps when the industry standard is a log volume pot. What does this mean? At just above 2 on the volume knob, The HRD is actually running at ~50% of full volume! Its been a major complaint since the HRD was introduced. A log pot has a much more gradual taper giving you alot more control over the lower end of the volume range. So 2.5 on the HRD is more like 5 on most amps. I'm convinced Fender continues to do this because they think a kid in a music store will put it on 2 and be blown away by how loud it is and buy the amp based on that.

Jim234 and dswo like this.
  9. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

I'm definitely interested in how those those work out.

kebotrans likes this.
  10. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's a fair point. I tried a Nextone recently and liked it, and that prompted me to rewatch the TPS episode featuring the Nextone Artist. Just looking at the decibel reading from the Nextone, it was reaching 100 and not showing signs of caving in. That's plenty for me ... and the Fender 6L6 tones were spot on ... in some cases "better" (all subjective of course) in the room than the HRD, in both Mick and Dan's opinions.

jds22 and dswo like this.
  11. jds22

jds22 Member

TPS is what prompted me to get a Nextone. They were able to get some really nice tones without even touching the editor which is a plus for me. I'm after blackface tones at low volumes and don't want to go down the modeling path again.
    I'm hoping to pick up a stage on Friday after work.

MartinC likes this.
  12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

The Nextone is a modeller, isn't it?

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yep.

I have a Katana Artist (have had it for around 6-12 months). I like it. I've been able to get some great tones without using the software editor ... and some slightly better tones with the editor (which mainly allows for finer control of the effects, and opens up access to the "Twin" amp). But at the end of the day, I'm only using delay and reverb from the effects, with patches set up that allow footswitch activation of the tremolo effects. I could do all of that with the Nextone, and get better blackface tones, with some adjustment of sag and bias that appeal to me.

I think the only thing that I would miss about the Katana is the AUX in that lets me play backing tracks without having to use an external speaker or similar.

It's really great to have choice like this ... in the lightweight, volume flexible, mid-priced, old-school interface (for the most part) amp space. Hats off to Roland Corp!

14. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I put an Eminence GA-SC64 in mine which is an American voiced speaker. It did wonders for the Fender sounds. I would imagine a Celestion would do the same for the British sounds.

presence likes this.
  15. MartinC

MartinC Member

Nextone is solid state/analog rather than software modelling.

At the end of the day, probably a lot less important than how it sounds and feels under the fingers. I'm sure the high end modellers (Helix, AxeFx, etc.) are capable of the same, but at a significantly higher price point, and not packaged up like an old school amp that can be tweaked entirely via it's twisty knobs to great affect if you aren't into deep software editing. Granted that those high end modellers come with a vast array of high quality effects ... if you need those too, and you're OK with tweaking them via a software UI, then the higher price point might be worth it.

16. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I would strongly suggest that the NT is a digital amp with a cool analogue PCB power section very much in the vein of the BC's and Kats. Many people will argue but I bet the DSP is an evolution of the GT/Kat system with some GT1000 level algorithm thrown in there.

I mean think of it this way, you can fully configure the front end via feel/sag etc, the preamp, add EQ, FX etc all digitally via software and then you choose the power section topology with a knob. That screams DSP amp to me personally.

And TBBH, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this because it provides unparalleled flexibility and you build your own amp. Every NT amp can be setup differently which IMPO is very cool.

No, I don't own one.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Went to the store, tried out the Artist and Stage. They let me use an A/B/Y switcher to switch between the two of them simultaneously. I obviously wasn't able to do a comprehensive test, but the Artist is slightly better (especially loud) but not enough for me to spring for it with the bigger size. The Stage is tiny but it sounds damned good loud, much better than my old Roland Cube 60. So I went home with the Stage. I just hope it works well as a monitor during performances!

18. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I wasn't criticising the Nextone, by the way, just interested; especially as I own a Katana Artist myself.

Axe-Man and MartinC like this.
  19. Jibby78

Jibby78 Member

Since I see many questions about the weight of these I thought I would share my experience made of tries and mistakes.
    First bought the Stage. Lighter, nice sounding and I would say balanced sounding after thinking about it. Sent it back to the shop because : used to my hot Rod deluxe I wanted more headroom. Was concerned with a little lack of bass.

Then bought the Artist. Heavier BUT with a quality grip that makes it (almost cause after a while you would feel the difference) as portable as the stage. I almost prefered carrying the artist than the stage with its plastic grip that is not comfortable (and it is 13.4kg already). More headroom and a sound that comes out more naturally because of the bigger cabinet. But now I am still concerned with bass response. I find that these are to strong and not very well defined so in the end I cut them quite a lot. I like it a lot and now with version 2 I am considering to setup my ideal sound for rehearsing.

Version 2 add a lot, even too much so I have to spend hours pon it. But the new presets are good. I'd love to be able to customize the normal Channel too, especially cause I like tremolo on the clean sound.
    What is really interesting for me is that from now son the amp selector still works in the custom mode. Meaning you still can change the character of the amp on your presets which was definitely missing for me cause you had a standalone channel (normal mode) and a channel needing to permanently have you computer connected to do any change.

It is better now but the new effects in preamp still require to have your computer permanently connected. I feel they act like pedals in front of the amp but with no EQ so each effect may not act good with the sound you set up without the boost. DOn't know if it is clear.

Thanks for reading.

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

A question for owners of Nextone who have spent time with the software editor:

Having read the manual, it looks like the amp's bass, middle, treble and presence controls are not editable via the software editor, which I assume means that wherever those controls are set on the amp, that's what you get tone-wise. I also then assume that when setting up the custom patch that is loaded onto the Nextone itself, the bass, middle, treble and presence are not really part of the patch ... they are set only by wherever the knobs are set on the amp itself. Finally, I assume that when switching from clean to lead channel, or vice versa, the bass, middle, treble and presence values will not be whatever they were set to when that channel was last selected, and instead will be the values according to whatever the knobs on the amp are set to right now. Put another way, the only way to set EQ that is channel specific is via the various parametric or graphic eqs that are in the software only.

Do I have that right?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019