BOSS Nextone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkharper, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Ray175

Ray175 Member

I'm about to pull the plug on a Stage, and am interested in what others have experienced with speaker changes - I've always liked the Cannabis Rex with a fuller bottom end and would really like to hear from anyone who has made this change of speaker.

2. Strummer77

Strummer77 Member

You mentioned a couple of times about being concerned with bass response so I’m just wondering if you feel there isn’t much bass. Do you find it thin sounding, too trebly?
    I was going to buy the Stage this week and was hoping it had a decent amount of low end but if there isn’t much bass I might give it a pass. I really thought this amp was going to be the perfect amp for me but I like an amp with a good bit of low end.
    Thanks

3. Jibby78

Jibby78 Member

Hello thanks for your answer. Well let's point that I am not a professional of sound at all and have not that much experience of amps. Having a hot rod deluxe for years and that's it. Played on many amp during gigs but just trying to adapt myself.

Do not worry about the bass on the stage. It can deliver and I was maybe not very clear. I am just not used of a small cabinet so I feel it vibrates too much when I crank the volume and the bass. Just think about the artist having a headroom comparable to the hot rod and the stage compared to a Fender Blues Junior (from what I've heard).

Main concern is that the artist has too much bass response a lot of times. You will manage for sure.
    All of this for my tastes of course.

PS : Spent my evening yesterday to make a preset with the 4 amp types. Like a normal channel but adapted to my guitars and tastes. I can can the amp feel with the amp switch. Great! Flexibility within a preset I really like.

Hope that helps.

Strummer77 likes this.
  4. still trying

still trying Member

OPENYOUEYES,

I have multiple vintage and new tube amps already all I wanted was something light in weight that I could just put down in one spot and just noodle around with. If I have to move it , it is way easier on my bad back.
    The solid state nextone is very dependable , instantly on when I turn it on and I don't have to wait for the tubes to warm up to get the sound I want and I have been retired from any serious playing for a long time now so for me the nextone works.
    I hope that answers your question

5. Strummer77

Strummer77 Member

Thanks for your response. That helps a lot as I thought you meant there wasn’t enough bass which would have put me off buying the amp.
    I currently use a Blues Junior and I’m just a bedroom player so not looking for anything too big.
    I think I’ll take my chance with the Stage

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

Bump. Anyone?

7. rorteh

rorteh Member

Hi Martin,

you've understood that correctly.

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time.

That's different to Katana for BMT & Presence. The Katana only uses the position of the amp knobs when in "manual" mode ... for patches it's the saved patch value, regardless of where the amp knobs are ... unless you start turning the knob after you switched to the patch.

The Nextone approach still makes sense, and it's good to know that patches can be tonally balanced between the clean and lead channels via the pre-amp and power amp EQs in the software, with global fine tuning or adjusting to a different room possible on the amp via BMT and Presence, without needing the software.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. rorteh

rorteh Member

I’ve only installed the updated software last night and had a quick look. There are A LOT of new options for both pre-amp EQ and power amp “tone shaping.”

To my eyes the functionality is greatly improved between releases, and you can get a lot of flexibility using an external footswitch. It’s not in Katana territtory, but I don’t think it’s meant to be.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

Having read the Nextone manual, and used the Katana software, I would say that the Nextone has more amp tweakability ... multiple EQ points, sag and bias controls, tone stack type and the obvious "tube" type. This appeals to me much more than the Katana's options, especially as the blackface tones in the Nextone appear to be its strong point.

It's obviously got less effect types, and less control over some of those (eg it looks like the boost effect only has level and gain parameters ... no tone). That said, both the reverb and delay effects have pretty much the same set of parameters you get on the Katana ... they happen to be the two effects that cover 99% of my effect needs.

The case for a switch to Nextone Artist continues to build.

11. rorteh

rorteh Member

Yeah I was more referring to the effects on the Katana, should have been clearer. Sounds like we are in a similar situation with respect to effects - reverb, delay and tremolo go a very long way for me. With the GA-FC this could pretty much be my rig.

On the boost point, they’ve added multiple new variations in the 2.0 release: mid boost, treble boost, distortion, blues drive, and more. I look forward to playing around with those!

MartinC likes this.
  12. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'd be keen to hear what you think about the boost options vs the tones available on the lead channel, especially for light OD to classic rock levels of OD.

I recently spent an afternoon dialling in some patches on my Katana Artist and finished the day concluding that the "Brown" amp with lower levels of gain plus a bit of volume control on the guitar covers my OD needs better than any of the boost options.

Would love to know if that's true or not on the Nextone

13. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

I'm hoping to pick up a Stage tomorrow afternoon. I'll be returning from a week long business trip, heading to GC, then heading home hopefully with a new amp. Of course the wife will probably want me to take her to dinner and spend some time with her before I get to check out the amp. :rolleyes:

CBHTele likes this.
  14. rorteh

rorteh Member

Having tried a few last night, I think I actually prefer using the clean channel (really like the “Black P 6V6” preset) and one of the boost options, rather than the lead. The added number of boosts gives you a good variety of tonal characteristics and level of gain which covers a lot of bases.

I find that the different lead channel presets need more tweaking (which is easy enough), and I have a couple of pedals that I prefer if the need arises.

My opinion might change as I mess around with the editor more, but that’s my first impression.

MartinC likes this.
  15. MartinC

MartinC Member

There's some software elements for sure.

On point three, I read the same part of the manual and assumed that the GT-1000 reference was an error ... maybe the manual for the Nextone was created by copying sections from the GT-1000 manual. Surely it should read "save all Nextone settings ...".

jamme61 likes this.
  16. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

Ok so I picked up a stage this afternoon.
    I've spent about an hour with it and my Blackstar HT20 MKII.

Two things. First, I think I prefer the tones of the BS. Not that the NT is bad but there is something about it that isn't sitting right with me. I have a feeling that if I used the editor I may be able to dial it in more to my liking but I didn't want to have to use an editor. I tend to get distracted easily and I'm afraid I would spend too much time tweaking and never be happy. That's happened to me every time I've had a modeler. It's not the modelers fault but I'm like a moth to a flame. I just can't help myself.

Secondly, and more important, I think it may be defective. When on the clean channel, if I turn the channel volume up close to max I get this weird high pitched digital artifact sound if I hit the strings hard. That may not be the best description of the sound but that's what it make me think of. It happens on any tube selection and any power selection. The position of the master volume doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

So with that in mind, it's probably going back. I'll spend some more time with it over the weekend but I'm leaning towards returning it.

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's not good.

How was dinner with your wife?

:D

18. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

Hah, it was fine.

I'm thinking of hopping in the editor today and seeing what I can come up with. I should set myself a timer so I don't stay in there too long.

One thing that surprised me about the stage is the weight. I assumed it would be lighter than this. It's not much lighter than the BS HT20.

19. MartinC

MartinC Member

There's another post in here somewhere that talks about the portability thing ... Artist vs Stage. Seemingly the Artist doesn't feel that much bigger or heavier, especially as the Artist has a more comfortable leather (?) handle.

It's the tone that matters though.

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon with my Katana Artist. I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that it works really well with my Strat (Suhr Classic). I've dialled in 4 patches for clean to lead and in between that are really sweet and have me playing for hours without thinking about tweaking anymore. I've got a PRS Mira that I just put Tom Anderson P90's in (HB sized) that I am struggling to dial in ... I'm wondering whether a Nextone would work with both guitars or whether I am just not loving the Mira or the pickups. I am most definitely loving Strat + Katana Artist

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

It may be defective and that would be a problem. If not, the Nextone allows you ONE custom patch so it's made for those meatAndPotatoes guitarists. Delay/trem, amp gain, boost, power amp tubes.

For example, i like clean fender twin sounds so i leave it on 6L6. I then tweaked the sag and bias to make it a touch less compressed and a little sharper (because i use humbuckers), as well as a touch of high/low pass. My tone is likely not the best it could be, but that's a rabbit hole i dont need. All i know is that when i turn it up loud, it sounds and feels like a tube amp (you know, when you snap those low notes on the low E string on a jacked tube amp) :D

jds22 likes this.