BOSS Nextone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rkharper, Nov 15, 2018.

1. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I installed the 8ohm Celestion A Type today and have been running it awhile. It is hands down a huge improvement over the stock speaker. I would say it makes it sound much fuller. I have heard rave reviews on the A Type in general so I tried it. It does not disappoint. I also have a Celestion Creamback Neo to try next. It will make the amp super light, but will it sound as good as the A? I will keep everyone posted. Also I have the 40 watt Stage model in case I did not disclose that.

Moe45673 and Soothsayer like this.
  2. ptgold

ptgold Member

can these be used as an Acoustic Guitar amp like the Katana?

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

No. However, i have found that plugging an acoustic guitar into an acoustic guitar simulator pedal (like boss ac3) and then into a clean amp (like a fender twin) actually works great, so if you want a nextone to also work as an acoustic amp, keep that in mind

townsend likes this.
  4. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

Bought the Nextone Stage and I’m really liking it for my needs (home player with young kids). Might add a couple drive pedals for some variety but otherwise, I’m all set.

One thing this amp has me thinking about is what if Boss took the power amp with the tube sims and packaged in either a rack unit or a pedal like the SD Powerstage but with MIDI/USB control for switching the tube sims? Yes, the Two Notes CAB-M does power amp sims but I feel like the Boss version would be far more realistic.

Axe-Man likes this.
  5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I agree. Boss should make a small power amp with switchable power amp circuits like @Mookyshoots suggested. The AB 100w @ 8 ohm PA would be enough. Add EQ, delay, verb and trem using the existing DSP with GAFC control of FX/amp circuits and they'd have a HUGE seller.

Mookyshoots likes this.
  6. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

They are halfway there with the Tube Amp Expander. Doesn't have the poweramp switching though, which I suppose is the coolest part.

Axe-Man and Mookyshoots like this.
  7. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Member

Let's say something a bit scaled down from the tube expander though. I'd be happy with just a straight power amp with MIDI/USB switchable tube modeling.

8. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Imagine some of the Victory stomp box preamps or the Synergy/MTS gear with a switchable Boss power amp and some meat and potatoes FX for a sweetener?

That could be a bit of a game changer in the power amp arena if it was say priced like a Katana head and small.

Mookyshoots likes this.
  9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

So, after two weeks, I exchanged the Stage for the Artist. I felt the Stage just hits crunch too early.

I am using the amp as a poweramp/speaker for my modeller, FWIW. Additionally, I did hook it up to my PC, updated the firmware, and tinkered about in the editor.

I have a few sets of Etymotic earplugs that are fairly flat, so I was able to turn it up loud and hear it without being overwhelmed. I know it was loud because I felt it in my bloody chest (and a plastic container fell off a windowsill nearby :D ). If you are into blues/blues-rock, classic rock, southern rock, R&B, even Jazz, the Stage will work excellently for you. But if you want to play super clean (funk, pop, more modern rock, etc) it will not do at all, even as a stage monitor.

I have played around with the Artist for a bit now and I have no qualms about it. Turned it up and it’s got headroom to spare. I’m quite pleased with it. The extra cost is a bit annoying but the biggest con is its size. It’s quite a bit bigger (not a “big” amp, but the Stage was a perfect small size and this one is approaching “cumbersome” territory for grab and go). As for the weight, as a few have said, the different handle makes it seem easier to carry than the Stage.

Another thing I discovered is that I prefer the Plexi-style powertubes to the blackface ones. It might be because I play a Les Paul with humbuckers that like a more trebly EQ, but I found that everything else being equal the EL34 setting sounds more pleasant to my ears than I thought they would. It might also be because I cut my teeth on Marshall amps in my youth :p

Finally, one thing I’ve noticed is that tweaking the Bias will affect how clean/crunchy the amp is at any given master volume.

I haven’t bought a new amp in 13 years so I’m glad this is the one I got. It’s an almost perfect compromise for me!

Mookyshoots and Peppy like this.
  10. madhermit

Did you try editing the Stage with the latest firmware that adds the "headroom" button? Did that help at all? Did you monkey with Bias also? I am curious as I am eyeballing the Stage amp myself.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yes to everything. It helps a bit but not enough for my liking. I want super clean and I feel the cleanest you can get is “clean but breaking up” at rehearsal space with loud drummer volumes (note that I did not have to crank the master volume to get to the desired decibels, so the amp can go louder).

Additionally, I know very little about sag/bias knobs. I had to understand what the knobs do by reading about them before experimenting with them and hearing what they do. I read about punch, compression, etc, but nothing about how these settings can affect volume/headroom which I had to discover myself. My point being, a more knowledgeable user may have been able to achieve a cleaner tone at volume than I did. (I should also add that I know my stuff about EQ, compression, sitting in the mix, etc due to having a bedroom studio where I’ve mixed my own stuff for my own enjoyment. But in terms of amp-specific knowledge like swapping power-tubes, speakers, etc etc, I’ve pretty much been a “play the stock amp and set the knobs as appropriate” kinda guy.

madhermit likes this.
  12. madhermit

Thanks for the excellent info. Good to know this going in. I'll bring my laptop when I try one out :)

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Easier said than done! If the amp at the store isn’t updated to the current firmware, you won’t be able to use the PC/Mac editor with the amp.

You can update the amp yourself but it might not be so simple since you may be doing it in a semi-chaotic space. If you do decide to do it, You’ll need internet, a USB cable, and a calm frame of mind to follow the directions for doing so (directions are essentially “turn on the amp while holding down these buttons and note these lights are lit up in these colors and that light is in this color and flashing slowly”). It’s not rocket science but a busy space might mean you do it wrong :\

If you’re willing on doing that, I recommend preparing yourself beforehand by having an image of the Nextone’s knobs and panel in front of you while you read through the updating firmware instructions. It also helps if you’re somewhat tech-savvy as you understand exactly what you’re doing by turning on the amp in a specific way (eg the PC recognizes it as a USB hard drive instead of an audio interface).

So, yeah. Good luck!

14. madhermit

Well, I was a studio engineer for a decade, now I work in education tech, so I got that covered! I like doing this kind of thing. :p
    Maybe the store will hire me to update all their other stuff?

Moe45673 likes this.
  15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Just noticed you're in Toronto! Well, if you go into L&M at Bloor, they have a nextone stage that's already updated :rolleyes:

16. madhermit

Thanks for the info!

17. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

So I removed the Celestion A Type and loaded in the Neo Creamback Celestion. Hands down it is better than the A in this amp. Worth the extra money and kills the OEM speaker.

18. harvey j

harvey j Member

After watching these videos, i guess they can' do clean tone, wow.

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

FWIW i've found the best boss boost, traditionally, has been the blues driver model. Gain low, volume high, goose a preamp with it.

Cant speak for the clean, treble, etc boosts in the Nextone as i use mine as a poweramp/speaker for my modeller (plugged into the fx return), so i dont use the preamp stuff at all.

MartinC likes this.
  20. MartinC

MartinC Member

I agree totally ... the Blues Driver boost in the KA is the best of what's available. It's Blues oriented, which suits me, but I also think it's the most amp like tone of the bunch too ... but still not quite as good as the brown amp on low gain.

Moe45673 likes this.