Boss OC-3 - How is the range feature implemented?

tochiro

Hi,

Do you know how Boss implemented the range feature in Poly mode? Is it an EQ that cuts the spectrum above a variable frequency? What is the principle behind?

Can an Eq placed after an EHX Pog remove the sound of all the strings apart from the lowest one?

Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited:

ERGExplorer

I don't know specifically, but the easiest implementation would be a hard low-pass filter, with nothing passed above the chosen frequency.

I have a Rolls SX21 crossover which I occasionally use to split my signal into the lows and highs for touchstyle, with different effect chains for the high and low portions. Sometimes an octave pedal gets applied to one side or the other.

tochiro

Thank you. Anybody tried the Rolls SX21 or such equipment to isolate the guitar lowest strings from the other ones?

MattLeFevers

I'd be interested to know also.

My assumption is that it is an EQ curve of some kind, as it's not really a perfect cutoff. I used to set the OC-3 range to around a D to try and keep it on only the first two guitar strings, but if I played an Eb or even an E it would faintly come through. So it must be a moveable, hard low-pass filter with a one or two semitone "knee" to it or whatever.

Meanwhile, what I really want to know about is the proprietary "low note priority" technology that the A Little Thunder pickup claims to have - they say their pickup will detect the lowest of two notes you're playing and only use that one, which if true is something literally no one else has figured out.

Telecasteur

When you're in Poly mode, the range knob sets the frequency cutoff point where the pedal stops creating an octave.

If you set the range knob around 10-11 o'clock, it only creates an octave on your E string, and on your A about up to the 8th fret.

This allows you to make it sound like a bass is playing single notes with you when you are playing full chords. It works even better when you use the direct out and sent the effect only to a bass amp or PA (with a Sansamp). ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom