Boss OC3 vs Micro Pog. Octave down.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by b80, Apr 13, 2015.

1. b80

b80 Member

Dear The Gear Page,

How are you? I am fine.

If I wanted to split only the octave down signal to a bass amp which of these pedals would get the job done. Which has best tracking? Is there any delay between the dry/affected signal? Thank you all for your time!

2. minty901

minty901 Member

not tried the boss but yes there is a slight delay with the micropog. its not so noticeable with most playing, but if you are playing a fast rhythm to a metronome then it might be offputting. the tracking is perfect with any input signal (single notes, chords, sung/spoken vocals/noises, any instrument). ive never noticed any fluttering or poorly calculated pitch changes, the sound is very consistent. it doesnt sound like a bass guitar though. it gets close, but there is this chiminess to it that you cant completely dial out. sounds a bit metallic and organ-like.

again, no experience with the boss but hope i helped anyway.

3. b80

b80 Member

Yes, you did help. Thanks! Anyone else?

4. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

In poly mode, the Boss OC-3 will octave down just on your low notes. You set the threshold with the range knob. At about 10 o'clock the OC-3 adds octave down to your E and A strings on notes lower than the 8th fret.

If you send the octave out to a bass amp, you can make it sound like a bass player is playing along with you. The band little hurricane uses this trick all the time. I believe he even sends the octave signal to a SansAmp Bass Driver first, and then to a bass amp (or PA).

That's why the Boss OC-3 is the best octave pedal. Everyone else can keep their POGs and OC-2s. They're missin out.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  5. b80

b80 Member

That's a pretty convincing argument/video.

6. b80

b80 Member

Ok, I now have a Boss OC3. I am wondering if mine is broken or this is a user error of some kind. I am attempting to have only the octave down sound, on the first two strings, active in poly mode. The pedal is so quiet I have to turn my amp way up to compensate. For reference, the setting on the pedal are:

Direct Level: 0
    Octave 1 Level: Max
    Octave 2 Level: Around 10 o'clock
    Mode: Poly

When I max the Octave 2 in poly mode it gives me a great octave down sound on all strings. But I bought this pedal specifically for the poly mode, which doesn't seem to work. It seems that the Octave 2 control is only acting as a volume knob. Does anyone else have issues with this? Is my pedal defective? Thanks for your time!