1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss OD-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 24, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

Well, i've continued my search of the local pawn shops for deals on pedals and gear and i came across a Boss OD-1 pedal. I didn't get a chance to see where it was made, serial number or any of that, but my search on eBay yeilded some fairly high selling prices.

Does anyone have any info on this pedal? I couldn't find any threads here on the pedal...

Brian

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

It's worth grabbing!!

3. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

Sold my OD-1 on the bay last year. Pricing/desireability is based around:

1. made in Japan or whereever (Korea? Indonesia? I can't remember)
    2. Type of chip on the inside.

It was OK, but I was getting rid of all my non-true bypass pedals. I don't miss it.

4. trumpus

Would you be jealous if i told you it was selling for $25?

Brian

5. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

$25 is about what it's worth. I used to own one. It was my very first overdrive pedal; I bought it new on 48th St NYC around 1978. It lacks a tone control and probably sounds no better than any ordinary TS9 type pedal. Lots a bass loss, too much compression. Ho hum.

6. trumpus

Interesting - like i said - i have no knowledge of this pedal. I might pick it up anyways, or just check it to see where it was made and what chip it has.

Brian

7. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

For $25.00 bucks I'd buy it just to have. You can never have too many dirtboxes.

:RoCkIn scott

8. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

you can read all about it on the analogman.com website

9. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

For $25 there's no good reason not to get it. If you don't like it you can resell it for $50-$75. I have had two, sold one. Mine has the JRC4558 chip. The metal screw ones are worth a bit more than the plastic screw ones. They sound as good as a vintage ts808-ts9-ts10. No tone control, but all the tone cotrol does on Ibanez pedal is a high end rolloff anyway. Cool pedals.

10. trumpus

Well,

I just picked it up from the pawn shop - i peeled the velcro off the back a bit before i decided, and saw that it was a made in Japan model, and asked the guy if he could do it for $20, which he did - so i figured, what the hell - for $20, even if it isn't worth any more, it's at least worth a try.

So, based on the info from the Boss compact pedal page, here are the specs:

-Black screw, black switch
    -6 digit serial # (340900)
    -MIJ
    -Board is marked with 052-281E (apparently one of the later models)
    -Op-Amp chip is JRC4558DX

Does anyone know an approximate value for this? I'm assuming it's not as desirable, as it is a later model, but it DOES have the JRC4558 chip (does the DX make a difference?) and was MIJ.

Did a get a good deal or did i pay what it was worth? I'm more than happy to sell it to fund another gear purchase (something i realy need, as I have a ton of OD/Distortion already). What would be a fair asking price (the ones on eBay have gone for around $150!?)

Also - one of the knobs is missing the little silver disc on the top and the plastic screw guard is trashed (a problem on some other boss pedals i own). Does anyone know if i can get replacement knobs and the plastic guard? If so, from where?

Brian

11. trumpus

Bump - any idea about the value? IS the JRC chip one of the "good" ones? There's tons of other gear i'd rather have right now, so like i said, i'm hapy to sell it to fund the purchase of other stuff...

Brian

12. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Easiest thing to do is check e bay. Just do a search for completed auctions on OD-1's. I did yesterday because I have one i was thinking of selling. The most recent ones went for $169, $169, $159, and $117 (reserve not met). These were mostly in good shape, one had the box, one was an older metal screw version. You can find knobs on e bay as well, but that shouldn't matter much. I sold one a year ago for about $75. I think I paid $35. I would say the JRC4558 chip is a good one. It's a very common and popular IC used in many OD's. Hope this helps.

13. trumpus

Thanks....

I have been searching eBay, but i guess what I was asking is, how much "less-desirable" is this one because it is the E-version.

The other part of my question was more specific to the op-amp chip. Is the JRC4558DX the same, essentially as the JRC4558D? They make the distinction on that Boss page with info about the different versions of this pedal.

Realistically, i could really use some extra cash for other gear, BUT, i plugged it in, and i actually leike it quite a bit better than the SD-1 i just picked up. I got the SD-1 and a TS9 to mod and have modded - i got the OD-1 because i thought i was getting a good deal on a vintage pedal - i was hoping to sell it, but i may just keep it because i really do like how it sounds.

Brian

14. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I don't know if it would be considered less desirable because of the E disignation or the JRC4558 DX as opposed to just a D. If you like it, keep it. Heck it was only $20! Best way to find out it's current worth would be to put it on e bay with no reserve and start @ .01. I would guess you could get $75-100 for it.

15. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The OD-1 was only made in Japan and routinely sells for $125-175. It is the only Boss OD that is desirable and actually sounds good too. Geeorge Lynch used one in hte early days of his career to kick his plexis

16. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The best ones are the 1st version with the larger chip (quad opamp), yours is the later version (1983 from the serial #) with the 8 pin standard dual op amp. We can mod them to the old circuit and add the quad op amp but it's not easy. See my od1 page for more info on these pedals. I think they sound good with the dual op amp and great with the quad.

Have fun!

17. trumpus

Thanks Mike!

I'll look into the mod. I have a TS9 RI that i've been meaning to send, so maybe i'll just save up and send them both!

Thanks,
    Brian

18. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I tried a second generation silver screw OD-1 in a s/h store this morning. I'd hoped it would be a 14pin chip version but alas, non-momentary LED, balck switch, SN 9600, I didn't open it up, but assume it had the 8pin chip. I was given some LP type guitar, into a Super Reverb. I was thinking of trading my R5 drum machine for it, thinking if it didn't work with my gear at home I could shift it pretty easily on ebay, but the bass loss on the pedal was appaling. The OD tone was usuable, but switching from clean to pedal was impossible, given its effect on the tone. I'd suggest a try before you buy approach I possible for this pedal.

19. trumpus

If you'd scroll back a bit, you'd see that i did buy it ($20) and i actually like it quite a bit more than the stock TS9 RI or stock SD-1.

Grant it, i haven't played with it much, so i'll give it another spin tomorrow and see again if the initial impression holds true.

Brian

20. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Cool. I only bothered to try it for 30 seconds; I think that was enough time to gauge its limits. If you're digging it then great, b/c that's what ultimately matters. Sounds like they may have fixed the bass loss later in the run; either that or the one I tried was defective.