Boss OD-3 Mod question?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, May 27, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Has anyone tried this? Or can someone tell me if it will work or not?

"If you already own a great sounding valve amplifier, you'd want to do the Robert Keeley modification on this pedal: Simply remove the diodes marked D6 and D7 on the PCB, and voila! another gain stage, surprisingly smooth and transparent. This very simple modification removes that familiar Boss harshness, gives you greater range and a much more musical, open and dynamic sound. With drive on full, it takes on an almost fuzzy character, while retaining clarity and dynamics."

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

where did that mod come from?

3. jamison162

If I tell you.......

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

5. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Instead of talking about it, why don't you try it?
    BTW, it sounds like they're just pulling out the clipping diodes...

6. jamison162

Cause I ain't got time to really, don't wanna screw around and have to redo/fix something. Figured someone around here may have a little insight to this.

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

lots of folks discuss that mod. sounds like poop.

8. sandman

sandman Member

if it ain't broke...

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Depends on what you mean by "work". The pedal will still work. If I remember correctly, what you are doing is removing one (or two) diode clipping stages. This should have the effect of giving the pedal more clean boost and less distortion. Personally I would just try some different diodes or LEDs and see how you like it. The OD-3 is pretty good in stock form. If I was gonna change something I would probably install a chip socket and mess with some different chips. That's where you will get the most bang for the buck. Then start messing with the LEDs and caps etc to fine tune it. Happy tone search :)

10. jayn

jayn Member

+1

Tried it...reversed it 2 minutes later...yuck. It was harsh sounding and the "feel" of the notes was pretty weird.

11. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Yup, that and upgrade the quality of the resistors and capacitors. That is probably the most common thing done by Keely, Allums, etc.

Digby

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I did that mod, then reversed it. I also did the Alum mods and sold the pedal. I bought a stock one and left it that way. The OD3 sounds good already, leave it alone.

13. zwieback-dude

zwieback-dude Member

I owned the pedal and after i did the mod i sold it.. i liked it stock much better!!
    With the diodes removed the sound became less "articulate".. i immediately regretted it, right after i did the mod.. :(

14. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

until Analog Mike comes up with a mod, best to keep it stock. IMHO, he's the only mod shop out there who actually IMPROVES the pedals he mods...

15. jamison162

My plan was to leave it stock, I was just asking out of curiosity. Like it fine stock, except the bypass. But, it'll be on all the time anyway in my Musicom Switcher, if I do indeed keep it.

16. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Dudes! don't mess with the giant killer!!!!

Why would you want to mod this? at 1:44:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJ5aWKcJ8U

That pedal has opened up my tonal pallete incredibly and really helps enhance anything before or after it, octaves, whatever. It gooses like no other too and can certainly take it from behind quite well too.Pardon the expression.

17. Grenville

Grenville Member

Did the mod. Undid the mod.

The OD3 is always on for me. It's more than fine as it is. Tempting to get it finer still, but not that way.

18. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

That's interesting, when I take a look at the mods that Brian Wampler suggests in his mod book, there are definitely more values to change if you want to improve the sound and feel of the OD3.

Have any of you done Wampler mods on yours? I've had nothing but good stuff come out of my experimenting w/ Brian's mods. Granted, some mods I've done of his didn't suit my needs, but what's great is that he offers multiple mods for each pedal.

And just to flip the rock over to see what's underneath - the only mod that I've been pleased with from analogman is the silver mod. So, i'm not as big of a fan of Analog Mike as popsongsmith is.

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

the first od-3 I ever bought was used and it sucked...found out it was keeley modded (didnt know what that meant at the time :)) now I have a stock od-3 and cant imagine why anyone would change this pedal...but thats jsut my ears I guess :)

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

occtone (chris) once sent me some ideas in a thread regarding reducing the bass whallop. . . . .

Ok, here's is an uber simple OD-3 mod to reduce the bass on the unit, just did it on mine and it lessens the overwhelming bass output of the bass. Inside the unit on the upper left corner find C5, it is a 10uf 16volt electrolytic cap, de-solder this and replace it with a 4.7uf cap, note that the negative side of the electrolytic needs to be aligned the correct way when you replace it. I just did this on mine and it reduces the bottom end to a good point I think, but you could even go smaller or bigger to find a good point that works for you, hope that helps:)

here is the thread link

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=375810&page=5