Boss OD-3 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChrisGS, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

I've been reading here and there about this recent overdrive pedal . Anyone here try one ? How dose it compare to a TS-9 reissue ?

Thanks ,
    Chris.

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

The OD-3 has been my main overdrive for about three years.
    It seems to boot off everything else that comes along.
    I know its Boss and will always have that Boss sound, some folks dont like it some do.
    It has rich harmonics, good, tight low end.
    Smooth drive and its simple to use, I like that in a pedal.
    If you take a look at the tone chart Boss has put together you will see how the specs add up.
    Its true when they say the pedal surpasses any other overdrive on the market,
    Well.. at least Boss overdrives.
    Try it, I really love mine.
    Dont expect no TS-9 stuff out of it though.
    To my ears they are totally different monsters.

3. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I spent a year playing an Od-3 as my main OD. It's pretty scooped sounding. On the other side of the street from a ts-9. Plenty of bass, pretty grainy. More of a distortion pedal than od I think.

4. drolling

drolling Member

My favorite BOSS overdrive! As usual, there's plenty of mods available for the OD-3, but it sounds pretty good stock - It was released around the same time as the Blues Driver, so it's been 'under the radar', but I think it's a better sounding pedal

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

The OD-3 actually has a big midrange,
    Just check the specs.
    The fattest midrange of all Boss Overdrives.

6. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Do you really judge tone by a "tone chart" that boss printed for you?
    The specs have little to do with what comes out of my amp. No offense.

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

It has alot of mids, that much is certain, and it sounds better in the mix than its standalone sound might reveal, I use it mainly for lowergain almost clean sounding stuff, on its own it is abit ugly and flat, but it works when played.
    It is just one of those things.
    I have been in two minds over it, but I am keeping it now.

8. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I've sworn by the OD3 for over 3 years now. I like it better than the TS9 (and clones). It doesn't lose low end, and gives a slight mid boost also, great for solo's and pinch harmonics. It also keeps definition, all notes in a chord come through clearly. I keep mine set with level and gain at around 5, and tone at 3-4, depending on which amp I'm using. Lately I've been playing more "old school", having the amp slightly distorted, volume on guitar down for cleans, then hitting the OD3 for solos. It's a keeper for sure.

9. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

My OD3 has been relegated to backup status by the surprising Bad Monkey. When I do use the OD3, I tend to use a high level mid tone and zero gain setting. I like it as a clean boost type of settup but never really liked the one knob tone, hence the Monkey.For the $50.00 that I paid the 0D3 is a solid backup.

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

IMHO, it's a totally different vibe than a TS-9. Outstanding rhythm pedal for blues and classic rock. Lot's of bottom for use with combo's. Also works really well when paired with another pedal for lead boosts.

Stormin!

11. Zero

Zero Member

Where is this Boss tone chart you speak of?

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I dont know if it can be found over the net but Its printed in the Boss Book and inside their yearly catalogue.

13. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

It's my favourite Boss O/D. I currently have it, an SD-1, a BD-2, a Route 66, two Rats, a TS-9, and a BB preamp. In my opinion it beats them all except the BB.

I have the Supro mod on order from Monte Allums. Can't wait to hear it after the mod.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

To my ears the OD-3 is like a better version of the BD-2. More bass, more useful gain range and no horrible unnatural fizzy decay. I hear fairly flat mids, not scooped mids, although compared to a TS I could see where you might get that impression.

I don't hear a mid range emphasis. I have no idea what chart you guys are referencing but the SD-1 is Boss's TS clone and IMO it has WAY more mid range than the OD-3 as does the original TS.

Anyway there is a very easy mod that the guys on the Tele board are raving about where you simply remove 2 of the clipping diodes (d6 and d7) which supposedly opens up the pedal and gives it a 100% useful gain range at the expense of less total gain.

This is the best OD boss makes IMO and its great for low gain rhythm stuff (tom petty, modern country) up to Classic Rock riffing and even AC/DC. I don't like it for solos though...not enough midrange and the bass is a little loose.

15. jgyn

jgyn Member

I also use the OD-3 primarily as a rhythm pedal. I prefer the SD-1 for lead.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

How does the OD-3 compare to the OD-1? Is this one of the few times that Boss actually improved upon a previous version of one of their pedals?

17. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I think it would be safe to say that yes, they have "improved"
    upon previous models, but remembering how subjective tone really is its hard to use the word improved.
    The OD-3 is based upon a dual stage overdrive design, it came out at a time when Boss were experimenting with COSM technology.
    It definitely sounds "fuller" than previous models.
    Its almost a distortion pedal at full gain settings.
    I still like the OD-1 but prefer the 3 because it has more of everything and is nice and smooth, cleans up well too.

18. Zero

Zero Member