Boss od 3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bungalowbill, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

Anyone use one? I'm looking for a low to medium gain OD that is very open sounding and a friend suggested the od3. Opinions?

2. brianf

brianf Member

A True Boss classic. I have one and it works well. It is a medium gain pedal but with the gain right down does the on the verge of distortion thing. Responds to the guitars volume well. If you go on the Boss site there are good sound samples. I really don't think you would be disappointed and the good thing is they cost less than 75.00.

brianf

3. brianf

brianf Member

You got me wondering on this so I just plugged into it for 15 minutes. With the gain turned all the way down there is still a nice crucnch going. Turn the guitar knob down half way and it is clean.

The tone know on the pedal goes from a very bright treble to almost an unusable muffle. Just a huge range.

This is a good pedal.

brianf

4. Eamonn2Strats

Eamonn2Strats Member

If the OD 3 had a tie dye paint job and a different name it would sell for $199....no question!

The only thing holding it back is the name....stuuuupendously good pedal BTW!!!

5. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. :BEER

I am playing a Strat and I want something without the pronounced mid hump...I have a Bad Monkey for a TS type of tone.

I am looking for something that will let my amp shine through a little...something Fendery for lack of a better word.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The strat bridge pickup + OD3 is a match made in heaven - great medium gain rock and roll tones. Its also fantastic with tele's and humbucker guitars. This is definitely the best OD boss ever made.

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to all for this thread....I just ordered one based on your endorsements!

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Boss distortion boxes all seem to cut a lot of bass. Try before you buy. All the Boss's seem to be going for a transparent glossy sheen-sounding overdrive. It lacks fullness particularly w/ Fenders, to me.

9. IRG

IRG Member

I agree. I had the OD-3, and thought it was pretty good. But I compared it to the Bad Monkey and preferred the bass (and not lack of) on the BM. Ultimately, I didn't think they were that different from either other so I returned the OD-3 and got a BD-2. And then I eventually sold that and got a Barber DIrect Drive. The BD-2 was somewhat noisy when turned up, but the DD was actually worse. SOld the DD too. GOt a Keeley TS-9 which I like. But I still got the BM. I may get a modded SD-1 someday, just to try out.

10. sandman

sandman Member

OD-3 has loads of bass. even too much for some folks. great pedal.

11. Dale

Dale Member

I have not seen the OD3 as cutting too much bass I guess. But my ears are old.

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

the od-3 and sd-1 sound awesome through my DRRI...the ds-1 was useless hiss, and the bad monkey was too nasally through any amp I played it through...

I use a ge-7 to add low bass and mids to my tone so my boss distortion/overdrive has plenty of bass...the tone controls on mine are usually at 12 oclock

13. Lefty

Lefty Member

The OD-3 is a great pedal, but maybe lacking a little in the mids for cutting through. I did some of the Allums mods and it does sound better than stock, a little less fuzzy. But it's still a little lacking in the mids/low mids IMHO. Still a cool box.

14. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I use one with my tele, which is very fat sounding, and my Dean with HB's. With my strat a Blues Pro and monkey sound better though they are too fat with my tele. The od-3 IS an open sounding od and has good bass. I also use it as a clean volume boost sometimes, for soloing.

15. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I goose mine or goose other pedals with it and it's bass charachteristics remain very transparent. Definately the surprise of the year for me.
    Cleans up great and is very dynamic.

If BOSS put this much effort into any new drives they might start giving some of the names at the upper end of the food chain a bit of trouble.

16. Grenville

Grenville Member

Love mine, it's such a chunky, open sound. It's been my go-to for years. a bit of goosing occasionally with an E or Hyperpak and it's tone heaven.

17. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

I've had an OD3 for a few years. I really, really like it. They did something right with the way it compresses, because it's extremely touch sensitive. I'm of the opinion that it serves best as a standalone OD pedal as opposed to a boost to get the amp to overdrive. That is why I still have a TS9 in my rig along side my OD3.

18. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I've used the OD3 as the only OD on my pedal board for 8 years now. Mostly into the yellow channel of a TSL, or into a 1987x, my favorite od pedal, even over a lot of "boutique" pedals.

19. 205

205 Senior Member

To me the OD-3 is somewhere between an sd-1 and a BD-2, not as much mids as the sd-1 and not as transparent as the BD-2.
    It has a lot more bottom end and volume than the sd-1.

an excellent pedal!!

20. Dale

Dale Member

To me the OD3 is more transparent than a BD2, but my ears are old.