1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss OD mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playon, Jan 7, 2006.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

2. drolling

drolling Member

Guy I play with went thru' his BD-2 simply replacing components w/same values, but higher grade. Pedal sounds much better and all the parts only cost a few dollars. If I was handy w/a soldering iron and could see properly, the mod's so straightforward & simple I could do it myself..

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

Honestly, that guy's BD-2 mod sounds about as good as my KOT pedal... plus it cleans up nice when you turn down the guitar.

No true bypass or any of that bo-teek stuff. but so what -- it's under $75 if you can solder and you don't have to wait months to get it. :)

4. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

For the Boss OD-3 just remove the D6 and D7..it opens up the sound and it really takes the blanket sound off a pretty nice overdirve! All you need is a scewdriver and wire clippers! Get a boutique sound from a regular effect for nothing!

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

I might try that... did you check out the guy's BD2 clips?

6. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

www.monteallums.com

I've done both sd-1 mods on two different pedals. They are both in my rig right now and sound fantastic. They kill the OD side of my Visual Sound Route 66.

I keep the pedals in a GCX looper so bypass is a non-issue for me...lets me pick any cheap pedal and try to tweak it out.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

just to add a bit to the link: www.monteallums.com/product_links.html

All his mods are awesome. Standouts are: CS-3, OD-3, BD-2 H2O mod, SD-808 mod and MT-2 mod (similar to other MT-2 mods). I know his DS-1 mod does leave a bit to be desired (compared to other modders like indyguitarist.....It's a fine mod on its own), and I don't know anything about his ge-7 or dynacomp mods. But I'd trust him on anything, and for 20 bucks, you don't have much to lose!

8. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Can't get to to MP3's..his site is messed up....oh well...

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

10. sandman

sandman Member

VS J&H-B.Monkey user here.

Can you give more details on Sd-1 mods "killing" R.66?

I wanna order CS-3 kit but I'm quite intrigued by Sd-1 mod now, especially for the price...

thanks

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have two modded SD1s they are awesome. They are not Monte Allums though, one Analog Man modded (it sounds like my Fulldrive that I sold!!) and one I modded. They both rock!!

12. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

Personally, I have struggled with the OD side of the Rt. 66. I like the comp side very much, but the OD is too flabby for me with the bass boost on, and thin and mid-rangey with it off. For me, the SD-1 mods add back in enough low end without flubbing out, and the EQ gets levelled out a bit from the stock model. The SD-1 mods are a bit more aggressive sounding too, compared to the smoothness of the rt. 66.

There's some great jangley overtones now in the SD-1, that are not apparent in the rt. 66. Those overtones are what is the icing, and makes me want to compare it to some of the high end OD pedals.