Boss Pedal WEED Mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Skykrab, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

I've recently visited Japan and picked up a couple of pedals (DS-1 & BD-2) with WEED mods. I swear the BD-2 sounds a lot like my LDO but more gain. The DS-1 is 80's Big Rock heaven....I stacked both pedals DS-1 into BD-2 seemed to work the best...Both dimed, no noise!!!! Thats right no hiss at all....WOW dead quiet to roar, i could not believe it. I don't speak japanese so it was comical to see me trying to communicate with the salesman. What i did get from him was "Modded Boss pedal" are the rage in japan, and this is one of the most popular (the store had Takki, DNA, Sobbat, EBS, and alot of pedals i've never heard of or that seem to be on back order in the states). Slightly different colors too ( Blue is lighter and the orange is nowhere near the DS-1 color, probably for the Japanese market), any way has anybody heard of these. Best i could find out it's made by a guy named Harry in Japan????? These things would sell in the states!
    Thanx Jim

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i can't help but flash to an old SNL skit. . . .

. . .but this time the guy is opening the battery compartment and saying,

"dude, you put your WEED in there". . . .

sorry. . . couldn't help it. . .

3. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

Works for Electric Effective Development.... He may have been on weed when he came up with the name though....However WEED sounds awesome JFYI....I just want some info on these mods...yes i've e-mail him...just wondering if any of you world travelers have seen these or have any info?
    Jim

4. tonikaku

tonikaku Member

I live in Japan and see these in most music shops. Generally speaking, Yen prices for pedals and gear are prohibitively expensive IMO. You can get some relatively good prices on Maxon gear compared to what you'd pay in the U.S. For this reason, I haven't ever bothered with the various WEED mods. Good to hear that they're quality though - they ought to be for the price!

Harry's is a distributor of several smaller brands - SubDecay for example. I can't tell from the website, but he could be the man behind the WEED line of mods.

http://www.harrysjp.com/top.htm

5. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i've seen them on ebay a few times, for about $100 more than the keeley mod prices...

6. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

Thanx for the insight....Yeah these things are IMHO in a different class than the Maxon (US Stuff)...I don't know if they are the same as Japanese version. Like I said the BD-2 sounds and reacts like my LDO...I am super impressed. I have a lot of dirt/od pedals and some great amps and these are going to replace something on my main board. I still can't believe you can stack these things wide open and no noise or hiss. I visited the Harryjp web site & i just as confused....yeah i think you are right about him being the modder...I wonder if he is the the old man with a cane?

7. exit

exit Member

WEED modded pedals can be obtained through ISHIBASHI (Japan).
    web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp (Aiko Masuda)

BTW, HARRY'S is TONEFREAK's distributor in Japan.

8. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I bet they work great for Stoner Rock.