Boss Pedals at Line Level +4?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankencat, Jun 8, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I want to run a couple of boss pedals in the loop of my amp at +4. It seems to sound ok so far. Anybody have any issues doing this?

I am running a Boos TU-2 Tuner >> BF-2 Flanger >> CE-5 Chorus >> DD-20 Delay in my effects loop from my pedal board. It goes through about 50 feet of cable to/from the pedalboard and the amp and I think I would rather run it at +4. Does it even matter? It sounds like it's working ok so I think the buffers are doing there job. The effects loop is switchable between -10 and +4. I am thinking +4 is better through a long run. Am I thinking about this right?

Thanks -Frank

2. MudPies

MudPies Member

wowsers, do you really need 50 feet?

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

My FX loop works the same way.... boss pedals clip at +4. If its a well buffered loop, -10 vs. +4 doesn't matter. buffers are nice in that respect - all you need is one good one.

4. frankencat

Well right now all I have is the built-in buffers from the pedals but it seems to work and sounds good. When I a/b it with the loop switched out there is a small difference but nothing crazy, it still sounds pretty good. I have a show tomorrow and I will try it and see how it works. It's nice to not have that stuff going through the front and the effects loop in my Splawn sounds great so I think it will all work out. At least I hope so.

Mudpies, yeah I have a custom built snake that goes between my board and amps. It's made with high-quality Gepco cable and it actually sounds really good. It's a 30' snake so yeah it's probably between 50-60' of cable running back and forth for the effects loop. You would be surprised at how well this works when it is all set up correctly....which is why I am asking :)

I probably need to invest in a switching system at some point but I really like having my pedals on the floor in front of me.

5. frankencat

Anybody else use pedals in the loop?