boss pedals tone suck

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blindtc, Oct 2, 2008.

1. blindtc

blindtc Member

i was playing a gig recently with these following pedals in my chain:
    boss TU-2 tuner, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Seymour duncan pickup booster.
    And halfway through the night i noticed that my tone coming from my Fender amp was very Thin and cheap sounding (the same effects i notice when i put a Wah pedal in my chain!!!!) So i guess what they say about using too many boss pedals at once WILL cause some tone suck. any thoughs on this??

i guess i've learned MY lesson:(!

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Funny, but almost every concert I see , the guys use loads of Boss pedals... Many of my favorite guitarists use Boss pedals.. I've used a few for years too... It's all a matter of how we dial our tones in

Eric

3. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Alot of people use ernie ball volume pedals to, doesn't mean they dont suck tone.

4. ericb

Boss pedals AND Ernie Ball Volume pedals do. Agreed! I had 1 of the highest end TRUE BYPASS Chorus pedals that did and 1 of the highest end VIBES that did too .. Both were True Bypass.. It's up to us as guitarists to then dial in our tone or figure out the order of pedals to use to make it sound great again ;)

ERIC

5. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I think at gig volume and with a little tonal manipulation it is negligible.

The buffers in the Boss pedals are not that bad. You may experiment with placement.

Matt

6. ericb

You are correct sir!!! Check out the Visual Sound pedals like Jeckyl and Hyde and the Reverend Drivetrain .. They really affect your tone! For better /for worse? All depends how you dial everything in . . If you sit around analyzing pedals, I've found it's pretty easy to hear differences, but if you actually just play guitar in bands, it's not very evident at all and that's why most of our favorite guitarists (unless they're all acoustic guitarists!) use a Boss pedal or 2 with their other pedals

Eric

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Don't put the TU-2 first. Either true-bypass it or put it last. You will hear a difference.

GregDorsen likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Member

I certainly notice the newer Boss when it comes to tone suck, but I can't hear it with a DM-2, VB-2, BF-2, or PN-2. I've even had two or three of the above on the board at one time or another. I think the buffer was probably better on the MIJ pedals.

9. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I'm willing to bet the audience doesn't notice these minor differences...We guitarists are so anal about our tone, it's ridiculous IMO...I'm also willing to bet that A LOT of the players I hear at about complaining of tone suckage and other negligible things (not directed at you guys) are bedroom players who have never played, or will never will play a gig in their life.

10. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I like Visual Sound pedals, I have one on the front of my amp (Jekyll & Hyde) and one in the effects loop (H2O) and I never have to worry about buffers and such. The buffers in these pedals work great for me!

Interestingly enough, I just bought a Boss DS-1 and put it after my Jeckyll & Hyde to see how it would sound, and it does affect the sound. It is all good though because I will apply either the Keeley mod, or the vintage mod from Indyguitarist so that should make the pedal better when not engaged. Saddly I used to think the original DS-1 was a good sounding pedal, but next to the Visual Sound or the Keeley MT-2, it just sounds quiet, fuzzy, and not very exciting :(. I am going to have to mod it!!!

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I always hear people bitch that the Boss TU2 is a tone sucker.

I use mine at the end of my effects chain and it aboosts my signal when it's off. It acts like a very mild preamp of sorts. I won't gig without it.

12. guitarsam

guitarsam Member

I had a problem with losing the higher frequencies (tone suck) with a couple of pedals. There was 2 or three boss pedals in there. I found that with high quality patch cables I was able to retain more high end.

13. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Do you know if the building had a voltage drop? That could make your tone suck big time - check into power conditioners and regulators by doing a search here.

14. slambango

slambango Active Member

Be prepared to be called a "cork sniffer" by the Boss lovers here.

Yes, this has been widely documented. It's widely known. You're NOT imagining it.

And.. don't let anyone call you a cork-sniffer for having a discerning ear.

Would you log-in to a wine lovers chat room & call them "cork sniffers" too? I mean, that's what they do at wine-tasting. Hey, that's fine if you dont' drink wine, and you just drink Miller Lite or whatever, I'm not bashing that.

But, don't pretend to be able to tell a $100 bottle of wine from a $10 one.

And don't pretend Boss pedals good for much more then a paperweight.

D

15. Roobin

Roobin Member

First of all, how do you know it isn't the SD booster? There is no proof in the above statement that it 'has to be the Boss pedals'. Also which Fender amp were you playing with SS or tube? Also, Fender amps aren't exactly famous for a deep grunt - perhaps that was the problem? Also which guitar are you using? A strat vs a LP will obviously make a difference. Also which pickup? Since it was a gig, there might have been other instruments - did you play the guitar by itself? Where did you stand? Where was the speaker projected? There are so many variables, that to say 'boss pedals suck tone in this situation' you would have to let all variables remain constant and test methodically.

16. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I use 3 Boss pedals in my chain and my tone is fine. It suddenly happened halfway through the set and you're blaming the pedals? Maybe a battery in one of them is dying? Maybe the power in the building dropped and you lost some AC to the amp itself? Could be a number of things that cause a sudden tone drop.

I run through a TU-2 then a BF-2 then a TR-2 and I don't really have any tonal issues. The worst I get from running a pedal board on whole is that I lose a little treble off the top, but with a JCM 800 I kinda have some treble to spare. I keep the presence and treble rolled off a little anyway, so it's not like I miss it. Without the pedals I just have to turn that down more.

17. Roobin

Roobin Member

Another possible reason is that if you're using a tube amp, one of the tubes might need replacing.

18. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

A Fender tube amp no less. We all know Fender combos are notorious for unsoldering stuff as the night goes on.

19. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Are you only here to troll? Because, with all the anger you're throwing out, and stating your opinion as fact, you're just making yourself look like you know nothing at all...

Yeah, boss pedals do suck tone, but it's really only noticeable at bedroom volumes. I wouldn't use them for recording, unless it was something like an old Delay, something with a unique sound. But for gigs? Nah, your audience won't notice a thing, and, unless you're REALLY REALLY critical of your tone, you won't notice either.

20. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Nobody sells pedals like Boss...yeah they are doing it wrong...I can really see that!
    How many units was it again??
    10 millions?