Boss Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by halfnote, Feb 2, 2012.

1. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

I'm getting Rid of all of them.. I won't have anything on my board thats not true by pass. It makes a difference............
    Who agrees or disagrees?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

This should be a good thread.

3. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

disagree
    There is more tone suck if you run 10 pedals in true bypass than if you run 8 pedals + 2 boss pedals. (unless you use a dedicated buffer)

Depends what Boss pedals you have, some suck tone more than others. - I run just one at the front of my chain pretty much (NS-2) and provides me a nice buffer, if I bypass the pedal then I get tone suck.

There was a reference on internet about what Boss pedals sucked tone, but for the life of me i cant find it any more..

Do your research first. seriously. - Boss do actually make some great stuff (sometimes)

4. guitarzdude

guitarzdude Member

dude buy a true bypass looper and simply follow your ears! do a few tests! you'll be very surprised!

dont go for that true bypass myth!

5. sbr

sbr Member

I honestly can't tell any difference. I just plug in and play.

The only pedal I have ever experienced tone loss with was an old Shin Ei Fuzz from the 60s with an old duffer switch and wiring. Everything else isn't worth bothering with.

6. axedoc2010

axedoc2010 Member

+1. Use a Boss LS2 at the start of my chain and it really helps. All my other pedals are bypass apart from an Ibanez tube king.

7. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

feel free to donate them to me! :)

8. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

Got it in one.

Send any unwanted Boss pedals to me, you moaning big baby who started this thread :)

9. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

:agree

With running 4-5 true bypass pedals I'm enjoying the slight high end loss but it's so minimal it really doesn't matter.

10. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

No comment

Carrots have never been my thing.

Boss however, A company that has made pedals for years....

Maybe carrots have a bitter taste when mixed with Boss

Only he or she will know.

Have fun with this pull.

Cause we all know you got to pull a carrot out the ground, before it sees the light.

Jk

11. JRBain

JRBain Member

It definitely makes a difference. Not necessarily a good one. First and foremost, you may be unnecessarily dispensing with some of the best effects ever made. ;)

But if you play out live with other musicians, your wonderful, immaculate bypass tone probably won't be noticeable. Even to you, possibly. ;)

12. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

What have you got on offer in the emporium then carrots??

13. Zero G

Zero G Member

14. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I own some pretty expensive boutique pedals. Some of them I really love and will never part with them. I also own many of the Boss pedals and I will never part with them either. Nothing can replace the CD-2 chorus and my SD-2 delays. I own 3 each of them 2 classics.

Rob

15. chervokas

chervokas Member

Like everything else, it depends. It depends on the number of pedals you're using, it depends on the length of your cables, it depends on the capacitance of the cables among other things.

While I probably wouldn't want a pedal signal chain of half a dozen or more all buffered bypass pedals, a buffer or buffered bypass pedal in a signal chain isn't necessarily bad. And, if you have certain circumstances -- lots of pedals, long and higher capacitance cable, an impedance mismatch between pedals -- then the use of of buffer or two in a signal chain might even be essential.

People are always looking for an easy to repeat, hard and fast rule -- buffers are the best, true bypass is the best, Boss buffers suck, Boss buffers are good. The truth is it all depends on your signal chain and the specific individual pedals you're talking about.

16. McStrats

McStrats Member

Prince doesn't give a s**t about true bypass so you shouldn't either...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

If you take note, Prince chooses to have a right angled plug from his Crybaby to a straight thru plug thru into the BD2. This I adopted early in my experimentation with cable end choices. This does make a difference.

However a 90 degree plug to straight ended plug will cost more depending on cable Brand choice however so as a get out of jail free card, I'm pulling a IMO.

18. McStrats

McStrats Member

Looks like Joe Walsh isn't too concerned about TB either....

[​IMG]

19. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I don't like Boss dirt pedals but have their delay, chorus, and tuner on my board and very happy with them.

20. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

I've got two RV5's at the end of my chain and I couldn't be happier with my tone.