Boss PH-1 question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gmann, Jan 18, 2015.

1. gmann

gmann Member

Anybody have one? A local Japanese pawn shop here has one for $85. with the current yen rate. It is an '80 model and has the metal screw. How do these compare with an MXR Phase 90 for example? I had a PH-3 or something back yrs ago and didn't like it that much. This is the original 2 knobber version.

They've also got an '80 metal screw, black knob BF-1 for $50.

Also a metal screw CS-1 for under $100.

Good prices? I'm thinking there's just not a lot of demand for these as they also have a metal screw OD-1 for $250. as well as a DM-2 for $250. so it's not as if they're not hip to vintage pedals.

2. daioni

daioni Member

Do you check yahoo auctions?

Took me a while to get my ph-1r for a decent price. Ph-1 seem to float from 8,000 - 15,000. Brand new ph-3 is under 12,000, so you have to be pretty keen to want a vintage ph-1. Second hand later models tend to go for a lot less.

I have no experience with the later models, but I like the first ones (particularly the r, because you get the extra knob). I use a mobius on my board, but the ph-1 was the first pedal I ever bought as a kid, so I got one for the nostalgia.

3. Stephans

Stephans Member

I have a PH-1r, it's cleaner and fuller in range, in compare with a MXR Phase90.
    The PH-3 is garbage; digital, unmusical and harsh.
    I think it's a great score!

4. gmann

gmann Member

Thanks!

5. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

That's a good price for an original PH-1. Very comparable to a vintage Phase 90. I'd snag it for sure.

The CS-1 was a huge let down for me. Not worth it.

The OD-1 might be an original large chip, which is hard to find. And the DM-2 is an amazing pedal, and depending on condition, that might be a good deal.

I'd bundle them all, and see if you can haggle a discount.