Boss Pitch Shifter or Harmonist???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rossl, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Rossl

Rossl Member

I recently bought a PS5 (super pitch shifter). I am still learning how to use it. I wanted something to fatten up the sound maybe use octaves. I have used the detune feature and the pedal has some potential for harmonies. Although it is a very digital sound I like it because it gives the guitar a synth like quality, good for fusion tunes. It's definatley not a pedal for blues purists :) (I do like the blues, I just wouldn't use this pedal for that)

I have read that some folks like the PS3 or the HR better than the PS5.

Anyone here have any opinions to share?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The PS-5 is an excellent pedal, IMO. The trick to dialing it in is to keep the harmonized signal quieter than the dry signal, for more natural sounding harmonies.

I love the T. Arm feature. For my needs, it negates the option of an exp. pedal.

The HR-2 does intelligent harmony exactly the same as the PS-5, except it allows you to add 2 voices as opposed to the 1 on the PS-5. It also has a direct in for more accurate tracking post-distortion, but this involves splitting your original guitar signal.

The PS-3, which I've never tried, can get some really weird, out there, spacey sounds, but then again, the PS-5 can do things that its predecessor cannot. I can't help you out more than this, mayhap someone else can!

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like the HR-2, but I'm still not getting string trio sounds with the ebow like I thought I would be able to... Still great for weird noises. I like spinning the knobs and confusing it as well. The detuned sound is good for making a double-tracked or chorused type sound.

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

The PS-5 has higher quality pitch shifting than the PS-3. The PS-3 is really cool for strange noises and misc sounds, however. It also has dual pitch shifting, which is pretty cool, and has reverse pitch shifting and you can even coax some flanging sounds from it. But if you want to shift up or down an octave, the PS-3 sounds less real and suffers from latency issues. The PS-5 also has smoother whammying.

I have one of each. One really isn't a replacement for the other. They're two different effects.

5. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I can't compare the two but I love my PS-5, esp for the detune function. I agree with the comment that for "natural" sounding harmonies, set the balance with the dry guitar tone up front a little. The harmonizer (and detune) sounds very good in stereo too.

6. Devnor

Devnor Member

Interesting thread...I awaiting on my PS-5 to arrive. Where do you guys put yours? FX loop or pre-distortion. I intend to use mine with Mesa Mk III or IV.

7. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Pre-distortion tracks better, when using distortion. Although post distortion sounds better to me for the harmonizer function. I don't really use the harmonizer, though.

8. dw1003

dw1003 Member

I have a Boss PS-2 I use it on a couple tunes... not the greatest pedal. You definitely have to keep the direct signal higher than the wet signal. I only really use to get an octave up, it's got a digital shimmer to it, not bad. It's definetly unique... very cool for doing real time pitch shifting for with an expression pedal. it's a noisy piece of crap and sucks major tone. I think I just talked myself out of having it on my board...

9. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

That pedal's worth is in the delay, not the shifting.

10. covert

covert Member

I can't remember which one I had that I traded back to the PS-2 from. The PS-2 has presets for octave up, octave down and variable, which was all I needed, and far simpler than trying to adjust on the spot. None of them ever really sounds good.

11. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I don't have an effects loop but use it post-distortion on my pedal board, with all the time-delay stuff. It tracks flawlessly for me, with or without distortion.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1. My thoughts to a T

13. getbent

getbent Member

I just bought my second PS5. I don't use it for weird sounds... I use it for twin guitars texas swing style and I have been playing with it off the bandstand to try to give me a little bit of a 12 string sound for about 4 songs we do that would really benefit from it and I've gotten close enough to buy the second pedal so I can have one for twin guitars and one for 12 string... so I don't have to try to adjust in the dark and remember the settings!

It is a sensitive pedal and it is complicated, but I read the book and looked on the internet for some other guys settings and eventually found exactly what I wanted... I think it sounds great and I have yet to have a night where 2 or 3 people come up and ask "how did you get your guitar to sound like an old steel?" and/or "man! that twin guitar thing is cool!" maybe a third of them are guitar players, the rest just like the sound... which is a good sign in my experience.

I do love that pedal!

14. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I had a Harmonist and you need to switch the knob for the right key. You then need to solo in the "correct" key or it starts guessing as to which note to harmonize. I loved the two voice settings and the octave settings were cool. I also like the slight detune feature to get a thicker sound. Always wanted to try the pitch shifter. Might be more user friendly.

Jack

15. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I had both at the same time: The HR-2 wich I like a lot for the two voices settings and octave, but finally I keep the PS-3 because its delay and detune wich I love and use more than my chorus. Do not track that good than the harmonist, but is not a problem because I only use the octave.
    BOSS should keep the delay function in the PS-5

16. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

YES! The delay on the PS-2 is very cool & goes up to 2 sec :BEER